Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Animals

Options
  • 24-02-2011 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

I have absolutely no idea where to post this, but thought I would put it here as it was kinda spooky.

Last night, not long after midnight, I went out to my balcony for a smoke (in North Dublin city). Anyway, I noticed there were a lot of dogs barking, which I thought was strange, and then it became louder - it sounded like there were dozens of them barking from all over the area, also there were cats making their screeching cat noises and loads of birds tweeting - this went on for about ten minutes and then just stopped. The weather was fine, no loud noises in the area or anything like that.

Anyway, I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation but it sent shivers down my spine. Anyone else hear anything like that or know of a reason for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

That's interesting. Animals are known to act weird before an earthquake, let's hope it's not that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Very unremarkable story.

Maybe it was a few cats fighting, and the dogs responding?

Maybe it was a bunch of cats attacking a flock of birds?

Maybe it was a cat getting mauled by a dog?

The fact that you would consider posting this in the Paranormal forum is slightly disheartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Just a correction; to your perception the weather was fine however the perception of animals is vastly superior to that of humans and they can often sense bad weather at a great distance. Even if the weather wasn't approaching your location, any nearby being the target could have set the animals off. It's just one the many remarkable things about non-sentient creatures; it's also what makes this such a great report as there is so much we don't yet know about the animal kingdom that there are too many possible explanations, some of which we can't even imagine.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dave! wrote: »
    Very unremarkable story.

Maybe it was a few cats fighting, and the dogs responding?

Maybe it was a bunch of cats attacking a flock of birds?

Maybe it was a cat getting mauled by a dog?

The fact that you would consider posting this in the Paranormal forum is slightly disheartening.
    I disagree. It was certainly weird. Not necessarily other worldly, but curious all the same. I think we have the ability here to offer both rational explanations as to the cause, as well as leaving room for more alternative theories.

It's not even wierd IMO... Dogs, cats and birds making noises for a while -- obviously something disturbing them/causing a ruckus. Happens often enough. There's nothing even hinting at anything otherworldly here! You just have a bunch of animals responding to something, and you don't know what the something is.

My dog just spontaneously decided to get out of bed just now, and walk into the kitchen. Dunno why really. Something in the back garden is on her mind. She went back into bed, but still looks interested/concerned. Coulda been a ghost or something, but why introduce that at all? It could just as easily be something completely mundane that I don't notice/can't detect.

Does anything that differs slightly from the typical trend (ie. animals making noises intermittently, not necessarily in unison) create room for the paranormal?

All you have here is animals making noise, and we don't know why. Could be anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭secrecy_ie

It's not even wierd IMO...

I understand where you're coming from - but you weren't there. I am not someone to jump to conclusions and I am a grown woman, I have seen dogs barking, heard the local cats going at it in the middle of the night etc I know how animals can behave - but I just thought this was so different from anything I have usually heard - it sounded like pets from all throughout the area, not just localised to my estate.

Anyway, I also remember another experience of animals acting strangely (I completely forgot about this until now, my friend reminded me about it a few months ago also). When we were in our early teens, my friends and I all became obsessed with using the ouija board - one evening I was in this friends house and we were playing the ouija board when her dog, who had been calmly dozing on the floor walked to the corner of the room and started barking like crazy at the wall (he was usually a very calm dog) he went absolutely berserk.

There are many theories out there that if ghosts etc are real, animals could be more likely to sense them. Maybe that's why I thought it wasn't the worst idea to post in paranormal (the experience the other day didn't feel normal anyway...)

All you have here is animals making noise, and we don't know why. Could be anything.
    Yup, and were allowed to discuss that. If its normal it gets explained away, like rattling window blinds or anything else thats misunderstood as ghosty. Dont try and backseat mod so the only stuff that gets posted here has your seal of approval.

It does remind me of the Twilight bark from 101 dalmations tho. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It doesn't sound paranormal at all to me. Only yesterday my dogs insisted on going into the garden and barking for no odder a reason than the fact that the dogs down the road were barking.

What is described in the OP could be nothing stranger than a cat fight disturbing a tree of roosting birds. The birds and cats make a racket, a dog is disturbed by the cats and the birds and starts to bark, the dogs down the street hear it and start barking the alarm about the cat/bird invasion, that bark reaches dogs further away who start barking, since that's what barking is; a way of calling in the rest of the pack over distance. It probably all started with one cat and one dog, and snowballed from there.

Op, when you say it just stopped, was it suddenly or did it taper off?

I agree that animals set each other off. I ran past a farm today, and got chased by a little yappy dog. Next thing every dog in the road was off barking like crazy.

Oryx wrote: »
    Yup, and were allowed to discuss that. If its normal it gets explained away, like rattling window blinds or anything else thats misunderstood as ghosty. Dont try and backseat mod so the only stuff that gets posted here has your seal of approval.

It does remind me of the Twilight bark from 101 dalmations tho. :)

Relax there, noone's backseating anything, just pointing out how absurd it is to try and inject paranormal significance to a completely common and unremarkable event.

New thread tomorrow: my biscuit broke when I dipped it in my tea -- coincidence???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Shoud probably go into the animal part of the forum (is there one?). Don't see this as paranormal. Not something you could possibly investigate anyway.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Shoud probably go into the animal part of the forum (is there one?). Don't see this as paranormal. Not something you could possibly investigate anyway.

*facepalm*

I'd read the above conversation between Oryx and Dave if I were you.

On another note, since when is this forum only for stuff that you can investigate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

GodlessM wrote: »
    *facepalm*

I'd read the above conversation between Oryx and Dave if I were you.

On another note, since when is this forum only for stuff that you can investigate?
    Well from the OP, it seems like a lot of animals outside reacting to each others noise. Is that really paranormal? Im just putting it out there. Just trying to find a rational reason. Im on the fence in the paranormal. Interested but don't just believe everything.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Well from the OP, it seems like a lot of animals outside reacting to each others noise. Is that really paranormal? Im just putting it out there. Just trying to find a rational reason. Im on the fence in the paranormal. Interested but don't just believe everything.

Not my point, my point is that Oryx was just saying how people shouldn't suggest that people post elsewhere just because they don't believe it to Dave, and then you posted the same thing. Oopsies :)

Advertisement