Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WANTED: GIANT DEFY

Options
  • 24-02-2011 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

I wish to purchase a Giant Defy 4 bike. i see they have gotten good reviews for there price. If anyone got a 3.5 or 3 going cheap, please let me know also.

im 5ft 11" so according to the bike list. I would be looking to a large frame size (55.5cm).

Not used to all the bike jargon but i seen on another site a fellow was selling his Defy 3 medium size but said it would suit someone over 6ft. Any comments on this would be appreciated and any other relevent information also.

Thanks all in Advance. :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

This is on E-Bay, might be suitable for you, not my ad by the way or anyone I know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

They missed out a size on that link. There is an M/L size which is probably the one for you. I'm half an inch shorter than you and its the size I would go for. Though you may prefer the L or the M depending on your body shape.

10Defy.jpg

The guy saying an M is for someone 6ft or over has either made a mistake in listing the size of his bike or in the size of a potential buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Theres a guy selling one in Meath I will pm you his number..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Where in the country are you based?
    I have the L size frame Giant and I am 5'11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

yop wrote: »
    Where in the country are you based?
    I have the L size frame Giant and I am 5'11.

Im based in Galway. loughrea area. how much you selling you Giant bike for and its condition?

• Advertisement

SomeFool wrote: »
    This is on E-Bay, might be suitable for you, not my ad by the way or anyone I know :)

cheers for the link. will think further on this one. my friend has got one of these and is happy out on it..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

pmcd22 wrote: »
    Im based in Galway. loughrea area. how much you selling you Giant bike for and its condition?

How do, well I wasn't selling until a lad asked me would I think about it :) I have my eye on a carbon bike that a mate is selling.

I have the bike 18 months, I have done about 2900km on it. I had it for over a year before I "really" used it ;)
    Since then I joined a cycling club and did good mileage for about 3 months of last year.
    The bike has a few scratches on it but nothing major, I could take a few photos of it and them if you are interested.
    I don't know why but the forks on this model I have are carbon, not that it make a hell of a lot of difference! :)

It had the chainset and chain replaced with the breakcables and pads last October, since then its probably done about 300km.
    Both tires have about the same KM done.
    There is a bike computer on it, replaced last September.

It has LOOK Keo pedals on it but I am undecided yet if I will these with the bike, I have them on it since last Aug and are work 45 euro new.
    I have the original pedals and clips for it anyway.

I have a pump I can throw in ;)

The bike was bought and serviced twice since I got it and I am sure the lads who sold me the bike would vouch for it as I got to know them in the last 18 months or so.

I won't be a "Weekly" cleaner of my bike in fairness but I wouldn't abuse it either.

If you are still interested let me know and I can give you a price. You mightn't want the clipless pedals as you will need shoes for them also.

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭boost creep

i wouldn't wish a Defy 4 on my worst enemy, the Specialized Allez is the way to go...

i wouldn't wish a Defy 4 on my worst enemy, the Specialized Allez is the way to go...

Like to tell us why exactly? I know plenty with the Defy 4 and it would be, and was recommended to me on here by plenty on the Cycling forum, one of the best entry level bikes out there.

From what I recall Giant build frames for Specialized, so you may infact be riding a Giant built frame ;)

Be interesting to hear a more expanded comment though.

Ya. please give me a price and if you also throw up a few pics would be great.

if your are selling the clipless pedels with it, let me know how much extra they are.

• Advertisement

I will get some pics together over next day or 2 if that is ok and I will take pics of the marks of it.
    I will need to find out if the carbon bike is selling the clipless pedals.

Be back to you as soon as I can!

How soon would you want the bike if you wish to buy?

Thank

im no rush for it. im going to do my first duathlon tomorrow so would like it by then.. lol

ah no. i will stay on the steel frame tomorrow. im in no major rush for the bike. just hope i can match your asking price.

im no rush for it. im going to do my first duathlon tomorrow so would like it by then.. lol

ah no. i will stay on the steel frame tomorrow. im in no major rush for the bike. just hope i can match your asking price.

Are you doing Carraroe?

Are you aiming to do the one in Ballinrobe next Saturday morning? I plan to be there for that so you are welcome to try out the bike then, I am size 10 in shoes to you can try the bike shoes to see if you see what they are like.

I must get onto that lad about the carbon now asap!!!! :P

ya going up to Carraroe tomorrow.. if you are there tomorrow.. i should be easy to spot.. Id be in last... hehe.. ah doing it for fun.. still looking for the fun part

im not heading to ballinrobe one.. it said on the site its not really suitable for beginners so isaid i give that a miss..

but sure if ya say the bike is in good nick, were the same height so all should be good. it should fit alright.

Like to tell us why exactly? I know plenty with the Defy 4 and it would be, and was recommended to me on here by plenty on the Cycling forum, one of the best entry level bikes out there.

From what I recall Giant build frames for Specialized, so you may infact be riding a Giant built frame ;)

Be interesting to hear a more expanded comment though.

hello again, i know more than a few who ride a Giant Defy, all but one seem to be happy. you're right, Giant used to build frames for Specialized but they were built to Specialized's specs so that wouldn't necessarily make them Giants.
    if you compare the 2011 Defy 4 and the Allez 16 there really is no contest, i'm sure they're priced similarly but that where the similarities end.
    the Defy 4 is very heavy compared to the Allez which has carbon forks which the Defy lacks. even though the Defy is heavier the frame isn't as rigid as the Allez. out on the road the Allez has great handling, precise steering and is a great climber.
    both bikes have similar groupsets but the Allez does have Mavic CXP 22 wheels which are a big improvement on the Alex wheels from the 2010 model.
    all things considered i think the Specialized is the better option for a beginner or indeed an improver.
    the 2011 Allez is quite a looker too, especially in red, i know the looks shouldn't be first thing on your list of preferences but it is a bonus to actually fancy what you're riding at the end of the day...

hello again, i know more than a few who ride a Giant Defy, all but one seem to be happy. you're right, Giant used to build frames for Specialized but they were built to Specialized's specs so that wouldn't necessarily make them Giants.
    if you compare the 2011 Defy 4 and the Allez 16 there really is no contest, i'm sure they're priced similarly but that where the similarities end.
    the Defy 4 is very heavy compared to the Allez which has carbon forks which the Defy lacks. even though the Defy is heavier the frame isn't as rigid as the Allez. out on the road the Allez has great handling, precise steering and is a great climber.
    both bikes have similar groupsets but the Allez does have Mavic CXP 22 wheels which are a big improvement on the Alex wheels from the 2010 model.
    all things considered i think the Specialized is the better option for a beginner or indeed an improver.
    the 2011 Allez is quite a looker too, especially in red, i know the looks shouldn't be first thing on your list of preferences but it is a bonus to actually fancy what you're riding at the end of the day...

Everyone has their opinion and the opinion out of our cycling club is the Defy 4 is one of the best about. ;)

ya going up to Carraroe tomorrow.. if you are there tomorrow.. i should be easy to spot.. Id be in last... hehe.. ah doing it for fun.. still looking for the fun part

im not heading to ballinrobe one.. it said on the site its not really suitable for beginners so isaid i give that a miss..

but sure if ya say the bike is in good nick, were the same height so all should be good. it should fit alright.

Cant make tomorrow.

That Ballinrobe one is aimed at all, check the site again
    http://www.sportsmanager.ie/cake/gaa2/tlt/news/34009/duathlon_ballinrobe

There is a thread there about it on the ART/EVENTS Forum. It would be handy if you were up there save a trip down here.

I will get the pics for you anyway and also see if the pedals are on the Carbon.

Thanks

Everyone has their opinion and the opinion out of our cycling club is the Defy 4 is one of the best about. ;)[/QUOTE

we'll agree to disagree on this one so! and sure the important thing is that this lad is going to buy a bike so he can go out and get fit, happy days...

Advertisement