Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nasa sending Astronauts to Asteroid?

Options
  • 24-02-2011 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭

Just read over on Space.com that Nasa hope to send Astronauts to an Asteroid by 2025.What would be the purpose of this mission?
    I am wondering would it have anything to do with the Asteroid that will come close to Earth in 2029 + 2036.

Thoughts.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

A recently rediscovered 400-meter Near-Earth Asteroid (NEA) is predicted to pass near the Earth on 13 April 2029. The flyby distance is uncertain and an Earth impact cannot yet be ruled out. The odds of impact, presently around 1 in 300, are unusual enough to merit special monitoring by astronomers, but should not be of public concern. These odds are likely to change on a day-to-day basis as new data are received. In all likelihood, the possibility of impact will eventually be eliminated as the asteroid continues to be tracked by astronomers around the world. My feeling yes it has something to to with this

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I doubt it has much to do with that. I think the reason he wants to go to an asteroid is because it's a new milestone in manned space travel where as another trip to the moon isn't and it's cheaper and easier than a manned mission to mars.

Advertisement