Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open University Exams

Options
  • 24-02-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how the OU exams work? I can't find anything concrete on their site. Are they all online based or are students expected to travel to an exam hall to take a conventional exam?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If your course has an exam, you'll have to travel to an exam centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

You will be sent for exam at the nearest centre to your location. Years ago , my exams were held i the Smurfit Business school .in blackrock Dublin. Centres in Cork and Belfast too if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Thanks for the replies.

How do they know you are were you say you are! I mean, the cost difference between these modules for UK entrants is far less than for Irish entrants. Does anyone know if its just based on address? For example, if I had a UK address would I get UK prices? (I know this is off topic, I may start another thread)

UK addresses are much cheaper due to UK subsidies. In Ireland you can get tax relief on your fees, but you pay up front. Course resources are sent to whatever address you register, tutors are assigned in that area and final exams in that region also. Snookered!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

bazza1 wrote: »
    UK addresses are much cheaper due to UK subsidies. In Ireland you can get tax relief on your fees, but you pay up front. Course resources are sent to whatever address you register, tutors are assigned in that area and final exams in that region also. Snookered!

Not really. It might cost less in the long run to get a flight over now and again and for the exam. The total UK cost seems to come in less than the net cost of the Irish one (minus tax relief) -

"in off the pink!""

• Advertisement

If you had a Uk or NI address you could get away with it if you could travel over for 2 or 3 tutorials (optional), Final exam, Summer school (if applicable).

"Back on cue!"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Some OU courses have instead of an exam a final paper.

Advertisement