Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accents: what annoying/hot?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

the nicest accents are Welsh, some English accents are nice, some Northern Irish accents and the Donegal accent. The Galway accent is nice. The New Zealand and Canadian accents are very nice.

The ones that are not so easy on the ears are the strong Dublin accents and the South Dublin accent- They seem to all talk in the same way and tone, They seem to use the word 'random' and 'totally' a lot and don't seem to say what they mean because many of them say the same things as each other especially the young ones. The Cork, Limerick and Kerry accents are not that nice, I find them hard to understand.

The Australian and American accents are not that nice. Some Scotish accents are horrible and a few of them are nice. I think the worse accents of all are the Liverpool accent and the accents Chinese have when trying to speak english. The accents Italian and other some other foreign men have when speaking English sound very sleazey and creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Pauleta wrote: »
    Hot:
    Aussie
    Scandanavian
    Eastern Europe
    Most the rest of Europe

Not Hot:
    Scousers

scouser accent is awesome, fierce durty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

I really like Scouse accents on girls and the Southern accent in America on girls, maybe i'm different :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Not: The Cork accent is a not too dissimilar to gay sex. Player!

Nice to know this is what I sound like to outsiders...:eek:
    Agreed! The Boston accent makes me wanna cut my ears off! Worst accent on the face of the Earth.

+1 HORRENDOUS accent!!

I'm from Cork, but I don't have one of those strong, knackerish "Alright bai" accents. Nobody likes that accent to be fair like!!

Northern accents are the sex on lads;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Hot is definitely northern irish, french, rte tv presenters >_>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

annoying - australian, scouser
    hot - scottish, texan (those sexy cowboys in their tight jeans, oh yes)

If I was a cowboy would you gargle my blaster :cool: yeaaaaaaah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The Drogheda accent!

Jesus it is terrible...there isn't an accent I have heard that comes close to being how bad it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I really like Scouse accents on girls

I really like them too, much laughing

not even luke warm though :|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

hot: French, Some australian, spanish
    annoying: Welsh, Drogheda, New york

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

For me it depends on who is speaking e.g. Boston accent on Mark Wahlberg so hot, or Liverpool accent on John Bishop definitely hot! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Nordie accent on a woman.

*melts*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I really like Scouse accents on girls and the Southern accent in America on girls, maybe i'm different :)

Some of them are instant yoghurt in the briste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Sisko wrote: »
    feck sake, then you guys wonder why you have such a bad reputation around the world for being clueless. :confused:

And similarly we wonder why we have a reputation as 'the fighting Irish'!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I am an unknown quantity.

Can I be the constant to your x? Rawrrrrrr*

*chat-up line is a trademark of Feeona Inc and can be availed of for an undisclosed fee

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Rihanna's accent.

Is just too hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

ciara95 wrote: »
    What accents do you hate? What ones do you love?
    For me: some american accents are seriously annoying. Scottish accents on guys are sexy:) so are australian accents on guys...especially Romeo on home and away. He was the only reason i watched h&a;)

Cork has to the most annoying accent in Ireland, by a mile :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭I Love Cheese

I love the Northern Irish accent, the Scottish accent and the Eastern European accent. GET IN

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Love: Scottish, Northern Irish, Australian, New Zealand & deep South America accents

Hate: the Cork accent...and I'm from Cork! So you can't acuse me of bias...I'm just lucky I don't sound like I'm from Cork at all

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Miss F.

Hot: Monaghan, Cavan, Louth, Clare, Bristol, Scotland.

Not : Donegal, some Cork, South Africa, West coast USA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 golly-pop

Fake accents are the very worst. That wan on the Kildare Village ad on the radio (fake American), - so irritating! - And also Duncan Stewart's daughter on the Eco-eye programme, she puts on the American twang but then forgets herself and reverts to a plain old Irish accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The Cork one is OK as long as it's not too strong. Same with the Dublin accent.

The Donegal and Scottish ones are good.

The CAHHAAVIN (cavin) accent is fairly funny, but would get annoying after a while. The Louth accent sounds like it's mentally retarded sister.

The Limerick accent is the dirtiest scummiest accent known to man. On a girl at least, not so bad on the lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 1daydreamer

Ireland: I love the Clare accent (could listen all day), then Donegal and Galway, and then the rest of the counties and Dublin in no particular order.
    European Continent: Don't like German, Scandinavian, or Spanish accents very much, but some French, Italian, and Eastern Europe are nice.
    America: Northwest and Chicago are alright, not so much for the east coast. Really dislike New York accents. New Orleans has a French influence that makes it interesting and Virginia is a mild accent, so they are okay, but other southern accents set my teeth on edge (including Texas). Canadian accents differ by region but are all pleasant except the Quebec French sounds harsh next to those of France, particularly Parisian. I am not a fan of Latin American accents but some Caribbean accents are lovely.
    No opinion on the rest of the world of accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Opinions, what distinguishes the clare accent from others? Everyone seems to think I have a nice accent but I really don't notice a strong difference to other areas which don't have an extremely distinctive accent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 1daydreamer

Opinions, what distinguishes the clare accent from others? Everyone seems to think I have a nice accent but I really don't notice a strong difference to other areas which don't have an extremely distinctive accent!

It is difficult to explain, but it has a certain flow in the speech pattern that is sort of fluid and upbeat and soft, which makes it easy on the ear, at least to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Scottish, northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

I love sheffield accents. :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

hot: northern ireland/donegal, posh british, french, canadian

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

I remember there was a big poll done on this on the radio on what accents women liked best and first was Donegal and second was Caaavan wahey :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

The Cork accent is amusing from lads, very very unsexy from girls though. In terms of Irish accents, a south Donegal accent would probably be my preference, it's much softer and less harsh than most other Ulster accents. Otherwise, I think a French accent on a beure is pretty tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Scottish girls, it's like they're riding your ears when they speak.

Advertisement