Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whirlpool

Options
  • 24-02-2011 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

I'm posting this to get some opinions.

First, the background, I purchased a Whirlpool American style fridge freezer almost 4 years ago, primarily because of the 8 year parts warranty that came with it. The machine cost approx €1200 iirc.

The last couple of months it's been playing up, making strange noises, and the chilled water function would only work if the fridge door was open(!). Anyway, an engineer called 2 weeks ago and diagnosed a problem with the master control board, the brain of the machine. Not a word from them for two weeks and yesterday out of the blue I get a call offering me a brand new machine at a much reduced rate of €696. The reason for this offer, the replacement part will be unavailable for a number of weeks.

What do you think?

I'm concerned that the existing machine will now prove very troublesome with such an important part being replaced and that my head will be wrecked with engineer call-outs every month.(maybe I'm being pessimistic)

The new machine will only have 2 years marranty for parts and labour while I still have 4 years left on the current machine (all be it parts only).

Thirdly, the amount of money they're looking for is more than I can really afford, I've offered them €500 but they've said €696 is their best offer.

Opinions welcome & Thanks for reading

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Can you live with a semi functioning fridge till the part comes in?

If so, then wait?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Oryx wrote: »
    Can you live with a semi functioning fridge till the part comes in?

If so, then wait?

The only thing not working really is the water supply (plus the clicks and bangs and buzzing noises) so I can live with it.

My concern really is will the replacement of such a major part have a knock-on effect with the machine. It's €75 a time for a call out plus labour for replacement parts.

At least with a new machine I know it's brand new and I'll have 2 years parts and labour with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

Personally i'd wait it out for the new part. Once it's replaced it should be back working 100%. And then you're covered for another 4 years.

If you buy the new machine, you're forking out €700 for 2 years less peace of mind.

it's a no brainer to me, stick with the original fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Deadduck,that 4 years is parts only,he'd still have to pay for the call out and labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Its 50 50 - if you have the cash and think you'd like a new machine, then its a good offer.

If the spare cash isn't there, then wait.

I'd expect to change a fridge/freezer every 7 / 8 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I know 2 other people who have had similar offers from Whirlpool. Both on big American type fridges, both bought in 2008 (when they got married).

Seem like they knew there was a problem with these.

I'd hold on to the original fridge, maybe next time when you call up looking for a new part thats not available you might get a new machine at a better price from them!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd go with keeping your existing machine, you've already paid €75 so you'll have no further cost associated with the current fix, who's to say you'll have any more issues.......
    On a side note, you appear to have left the shop where you made your original purchase out of the equation, they have a responsibility for an applicance like this that has failed after two/three years use

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I've had a good think about this and I think I'll stick with what I have. I've had a look through other threads here and this seems to be a recurring fault with these units, with the control board failing regularly. As it stands I have 4 years remaining on the current warranty, I think it'd be a bit mad to give that away and take two years instead with a new machine.
    On a side note, you appear to have left the shop where you made your original purchase out of the equation, they have a responsibility for an applicance like this that has failed after two/three years use

I'll probably be corrected for this but the machine is 4 years old and my warranty is with Whirlpool, not the retailer. I know my original contract is with the retailer but I think 4 years is probably very close to or beyond what would be the expected life cycle of the machine meaning his responsibility has expired?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Mr Magners wrote: »
    I'll probably be corrected for this but the machine is 4 years old and my warranty is with Whirlpool, not the retailer. I know my original contract is with the retailer but I think 4 years is probably very close to or beyond what would be the expected life cycle of the machine meaning his responsibility has expired?

I'd expect a fridge to last 10+ years (based on my experience of fridges at my parents' and houses I've lived in).

dudara wrote: »
    I'd expect a fridge to last 10+ years (based on my experience of fridges at my parents' and houses I've lived in).

When does the retailer's responsibility end?

Personally, i would think I'd be wasting my time returning to a retailer after 4 years.

Actually, he doesn't need to be involved either as I'm not having any difficulties with Whirlpool. They're honouring the warranty and have given me an option to purchase a new machine at a reduced rate.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »

Fridges will rarely last 10 years nowadays,they aren't built like they used to be. Average life is probably the 7-8 mark.You'll always have some that get lucky though,and some who get unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A fridge has no real significant amount of moving parts. It is a self-contained pressurised gas system and is not an object that gets moved around a lot. The only parts that are subject to real wear and tear are the various external and internal door and crisper drawers etc.

I'll accept 7-8 years - that's a good lifetime.

I'm not knocking you - but I really dislike the argument that "things aren't built like they used to be". That really does lead to the bigger debate around items being built with built-in obsolesence.

Having worked in an electrical shop I genuinely feel this is the case. My father has worked in an electrical shop for 30 years and he would swear by it aswell,but I do see your point dudara.
    The point I'm making applies to a larger extent to washing machines in particular,but in my opinion,applies to nearly all house hold goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Deadduck,that 4 years is parts only,he'd still have to pay for the call out and labour.

Although I'll hold my hands up and admit I hadn't thought of that, I still think the fridge will be 100% once fixed, and therefore i'd stick with it.

Advertisement