Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Masterton Books

Options
  • 24-02-2011 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Life long horror fan here. Have only recently discovered him (Chapters 2nd hand is the business!) and he is absolutely amazing. Very graphic and extreme but that's just how I like it :D Every book I read is better than the one before. Recently finished Burial and now reading Black Angel. Only 20 odd pages in but already the jaw is on the floor when reading.

Similar I suppose to Laymon, Ketchum and Lee. highly recommended

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Coolio,must check his stuff out,sounds promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

SteoL wrote: »
    Life long horror fan here. Have only recently discovered him (Chapters 2nd hand is the business!) and he is absolutely amazing. Very graphic and extreme but that's just how I like it :D Every book I read is better than the one before. Recently finished Burial and now reading Black Angel. Only 20 odd pages in but already the jaw is on the floor when reading.

Similar I suppose to Laymon, Ketchum and Lee. highly recommended

Must admit I have never read any of he's stuff.

A long time ago I was really into Richard Laymon's books (Though they tend to be a bit adolescent).Think I have read about 90% of he's work- with Night in the lonesome October being my favorite followed by the Travelling Vampire show.
    Have only read 3 of Ketchum's books (The lost, The girl next door & off season) but they have all left me cold, he just doesn't do it for me.

Only Ed Lee book I have read was City Infernal & thought that was rubbish.

It is hard enough to find decent Horror literature- S King & James Herbert haven't wrote a worthy piece between them in 20 years.

Currently reading Something wicked this way comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

TheWarrior wrote: »
    Must admit I have never read any of he's stuff.

A long time ago I was really into Richard Laymon's books (Though they tend to be a bit adolescent).Think I have read about 90% of he's work- with Night in the lonesome October being my favorite followed by the Travelling Vampire show.
    Have only read 3 of Ketchum's books (The lost, The girl next door & off season) but they have all left me cold, he just doesn't do it for me.

Only Ed Lee book I have read was City Infernal & thought that was rubbish.

It is hard enough to find decent Horror literature- S King & James Herbert haven't wrote a worthy piece between them in 20 years.

Currently reading Something wicked this way comes.

Agree with your comment on Laymon. I was really into them as a teen but recently read Cuts and thought it was quite juvenile. Haven't read too many of Lees but really dug what I have so far. Succubis was interesting.

I found The Secret of Crickly Hall to be an excellent read from Herbert. Think that's one of his most recent.

You didn't like The Girl Next Door? I love it, but find it very hard to get through. Stranglehold was my first Ketchum and was actully just as hardhitting as TGND. I wasn't too mad about either Off Season or Off Spring but though The Lost was fantastic. Red also.

Re Masterton according to Wiki he lives in Cork. His books are very hard to find though. Not available in any of the mainstream book stores in town (Dublin) and even in Chapters second hand it's rare enough to see him there. There was a couple of months last year everytime I went in they had something by him but that seems to have stopped now unfortunately and haven't seen anything by him in ages. Hopefully get something in soon. He has quite a back catologue of books so it's now my mission to get through them all.

Picked up another one in Chapters yesterday. This wasn't even out on the floor, asked the girl behind the counter and she said there was a hardcover Masterton just come in. Called "Touchy and Feely". Looking forward to it I must admit.

Currently reading "Shrine" by Herbert. Very slow to start but seems to be picking up pace now. Not the best Herbert I've read, but not the worst either.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Would ya say if he's like Clive Barker? Big fan of Barker but would def want to check out something by this fella.

Which book would recommend I start with/is his best book you have read?

• Advertisement

I'm ashamed to say I have never read Clive Barker although I do have one at home called "Everville" that's in my to read pile.

Re Masterson, my first and probably the best one I have read so far was called "Walkers". Really gripping stuff. The last one I read was pretty cool too - called "Black Angel".
    About the fallen angel "Belial" and a serial killer carrying out various gruesome rituals in order to resurrect him.

Went into Easons, no sign his stuff. Will try O'Mahonys (limerick) but if they dont have it, i will just get it off amazon.

Thanks for the recommendation man, I'll go with Walkers first so.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Went into Easons, no sign his stuff. Will try O'Mahonys (limerick) but if they dont have it, i will just get it off amazon.

Thanks for the recommendation man, I'll go with Walkers first so.

He's dead hard to get in mainstream bookstores. Impossible in fact. I've only ever picked up his stuff in Chapters 2nd Hand section in Dublin. Amazon your best bet I'd say. You can even pick up the walkers/ritual double for €0.01!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ritual-Walkers-Graham-Masterton-omnibus/dp/0751533246/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1300892819&sr=8-2

Picked up another one in Chapters yesterday woo hooo. Death Trance. sounds very interesting

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Trance-Graham-Masterton/dp/0722161247/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303294507&sr=8-1

SteoL wrote: »
    He's dead hard to get in mainstream bookstores. Impossible in fact. I've only ever picked up his stuff in Chapters 2nd Hand section in Dublin. Amazon your best bet I'd say. You can even pick up the walkers/ritual double for €0.01!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ritual-Walkers-Graham-Masterton-omnibus/dp/0751533246/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1300892819&sr=8-2

Finally got around to ordering the Rituals/Wlakers omnibus above. Came to 4.60 euro incl delivery. Bargain! Thanks for the link man!

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Finally got around to ordering the Rituals/Wlakers omnibus above. Came to 4.60 euro incl delivery. Bargain! Thanks for the link man!

Good stuff and good price, roughly what I paid in chapters. Be sure to let us know what you think! The more Masterton converts I make the better lol.

Death Trance was fanfookintastic, be sure to check that one out also. :D

Picked up 3 Masterton in Eason recently, old novels republished. Hopefully more to come! Sweet :)

Advertisement