Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do football boots REALLY make a differnce?

• 24-02-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

Hey all...we just saw the new Messi (orange) boots in Lifestyle..the ones that wouldn't crack a popadom they're so light;) (I think Nani was wearing them last night too) And it got me wondering if your football boots make a real difference to your game?

Maybe at professional level they do - and I suppose if someone is paying you millions to wear them, it makes a difference :rolleyes:- but there was a queue of 20yr old lads paying a small fortune for them in that shop today....

And it got me wondering if the advertising ploy worked on them or if their game will actually improve whilst wearing them....
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

IMO yes, you have to feel comfortable in your boots. And there's a big difference in some boots, for example Vapours and T-90's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Yep. Bendtner has pink boots. If he had black boots, might score more goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

THFC wrote: »
    IMO yes, you have to feel comfortable in your boots. And there's a big difference in some boots, for example Vapours and T-90's

I think comfort is different to what's being asked - you need to be comfortable in any sport.

Whether having boots made of cutting edge material / technology etc makes a difference to your game or not - well no. Of course not. It's just one gimmick after another designed to make you think you could be better with them than without.

I'm sure all the professionals would wear their standard World Cups/Puma Kings/whatever if they weren't being paid millions to wear the newer boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Fittle wrote: »
    Hey all...we just saw the new Messi (orange) boots in Lifestyle..the ones that wouldn't crack a popadom they're so light;) (I think Nani was wearing them last night too) And it got me wondering if your football boots make a real difference to your game?

Maybe at professional level they do - and I suppose if someone is paying you millions to wear them, it makes a difference :rolleyes:- but there was a queue of 20yr old lads paying a small fortune for them in that shop today....

And it got me wondering if the advertising ploy worked on them or if their game will actually improve whilst wearing them....
    Thanks

They do. Like any shoe, if it fits properly and you are comfortable in them, you are more likely to perform well and less likely to get blisters and strains.

Whether the most expensive boot is the one to do that is moot. You can get Addidas Predator boots for €30 that will odds on do the job for a kid. Do for me. Puma Kings have been around since the 70's and are still the global top seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

To a certain extent, yes.

Comfort and fit are obviously of great importance to any player, no matter what level. There is also the added confidence of feeling good about your equipment. I mentioned it a while back in the thread about cleaning your boots - if you care about your gear it helps a lot.

However it is more important at proffesional levels, and probably even more at the very top, where the slightest advantage gained is important.

Remember though, the "messi" boots your son might go and save his money for are production line boots, all the same, all standard.
    Messi;s version are made specifically for him, shaped for him and moulded to fit his feet.

There is a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

If they do a reasonable impression of the average football boot and are comfortable then the qualitative tweaks and advances the big manufacturers push don't really add much to your game (IMO).

I reckon that unless you're playing at a very high-end, there's other areas you can work on that will vastly improve your game rather than buying high-end boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Comfort and lightness are the main things to look for, also stud type depending on what type of pitches you are playing on makes quiet a big difference, you need to be able to get good grip and not slide all over the place, some blades etc imo seem to pick up a lot of mud when playing on soft pitches and makes the boots really heavy. They should in your sport shop be able to tell you what should suit him best.

I would also go for a bigger brand like Adidas, Nike, Puma etc over the cheaper brands, Adidas and Nike both make there boots at different levels so you don't need to spend a fortune on the top version, you can go for the lower priced version which are still a very good boot. I remember as a kid i bought a pair of Umbro's and they tore the feet of me after playing in them once, i've never even looked at Umbro boots since then, but that could just be my feet, get him to try on as many pairs as he can in the shop to get the pair that feel most comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Eirebear wrote: »
    To a certain extent, yes.

Comfort and fit are obviously of great importance to any player, no matter what level. There is also the added confidence of feeling good about your equipment. I mentioned it a while back in the thread about cleaning your boots - if you care about your gear it helps a lot.

However it is more important at proffesional levels, and probably even more at the very top, where the slightest advantage gained is important.

Remember though, the "messi" boots your son might go and save his money for are production line boots, all the same, all standard.
    Messi;s version are made specifically for him, shaped for him and moulded to fit his feet.

There is a huge difference.

He got Ronaldo's (ugly looking, white with black specks) boots for Christmas so he won't be getting these ones!!!

What's the importance of them being so light though? We did feel the difference in weight in these messi ones and other boots in the shop...they are incredibly lighter...would they make a difference to your game being so light??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Slightly off topic here but regarding astro boots..

Is it possible to get a nike air max astro boot?ya see i suffer from flat feet and arthritis n air max really help me in day to day wear so getting an astro turf air max would be just smashing...........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

He got Ronaldo's (ugly looking, white with black specks) boots for Christmas so he won't be getting these ones!!!

What's the importance of them being so light though? We did feel the difference in weight in these messi ones and other boots in the shop...they are incredibly lighter...would they make a difference to your game being so light??
    They wouldn't make a huge difference for a young boy but as you get older the more comfortable your feet are the more at ease you are playing.
    Puma Kings were the best in my day

• Advertisement

The theory is twofold.

1: You are 'closer' to the ball and playing a more intuitive game.

2: Less weight means you can run longer as you are, well, carrying less weight.

Obvioulsy the higher the standard the more these degrees matter.

Lighter boots do offer less protection though.

Ultimatley you have to try and convince the tyke to go with comfort over fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

dunno well kinda because having slick boots adds to your confidence and normally you play in boots that match your style

nike vapours-skillful fast
    preds(me)-central midfield passer
    puma/umbro-no talent hacks hit ball long all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Opening up people's calves with plimsolls or a ballet slipper just isn't the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Back when I was in school I remember the almighty hype over Addidas Predators.
    The must have of the time, maybe your Messi boots are todays equivalent.

But a quick google check shows they've been updated and renamed eleven times since then.

Get your son the most comfortable boots, not the ones with the best marketing

partyndbs wrote: »
    dunno well kinda because having slick boots adds to your confidence and normally you play in boots that match your style

nike vapours-skillful fast
    preds(me)-central midfield passer
    puma/umbro-no talent hacks hit ball long all the time

L.O. ****ing L.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Back when I was in school I remember the almighty hype over Addidas Predators.
    The must have of the time, maybe your Messi boots are todays equivalent.

But a quick google check shows they've been updated and renamed eleven times since then.

Get your son the most comfortable boots, not the ones with the best marketing
    I think my quoting Puma King boots shows i'm older that you:D
    It wasn't til the predators came out that i could afford the King

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

The theory is twofold.

1: You are 'closer' to the ball and playing a more intuitive game.

2: Less weight means you can run longer as you are, well, carrying less weight.

Obvioulsy the higher the standard the more these degrees matter.

Lighter boots do offer less protection though.

Ultimatley you have to try and convince the tyke to go with comfort over fashion.

I'd agree with this. I would add an emphasis on the less protection aspect to lighter boots too.

Thanks lads;)

Are the actual 'studs' better/worse than those plastic built-in studs that are on the ronaldo/messi boots? I would have thought actual steel studs give you more grip...

Steel studs don't seem as popular at younger matches anyway..from what I've seen...is there a difference:confused:

Thanks lads;)

Are the actual 'studs' better/worse than those plastic built-in studs that are on the ronaldo/messi boots? I would have thought actual steel studs give you more grip...

Steel studs don't seem as popular at younger matches anyway..from what I've seen...is there a difference:confused:

I personally find the blades a bit better myself. Easier to turn in and all that.

But when you are up to your knees in muck, there is a not to be said for the old screw ins

I personally find the blades a bit better myself. Easier to turn in and all that.

But when you are up to your knees in muck, there is a not to be said for the old screw ins

There is a theory that blades are pretty tought on the knees as they can get caught up in mud, grass, uneven surfaces when turning.

I'd say stick to the studs at any level where you dont know the pitches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

You can't beat the Adidas Predators if you ask me. I've been getting them my whole life and I've no complaints. They're not as light as the boots you're talking about, but they offer more protection, and it's not as if you'll struggle to run with the weight or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I had a pair of Adidas F50's and I suffered alot of foot injuries while using them, have since changed to puma powercats and I dont suffer from those problems anymore.

I wouldnt recommend ultra lightweight boots to anyone, always go for comfort and protection.

Do extra training to compensate for heavier boots! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Its exactly the same as a kid wanting branded clothing. The only reason they want it is cause everyone of their mates has them and they want to fit in. The brands are more expensive but in reality are no different to what non-branded clothing is. What is actually important is having clothes that fit them!

Same with boots imo. They want the flashy ones to copy their stars but in reality all thats needed is something that fits well.

Having said that, nobody wants their kid not to fit in :P

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Its exactly the same as a kid wanting branded clothing. The only reason they want it is cause everyone of their mates has them and they want to fit in. The brands are more expensive but in reality are no different to what non-branded clothing is. What is actually important is having clothes that fit them!

Same with boots imo. They want the flashy ones to copy their stars but in reality all thats needed is something that fits well.

Having said that, nobody wants their kid not to fit in :P

Just fyi...today wasn't about me buying those boots for him - not a hope. He got the ronaldo boots for xmas and will wear them until they don't fit him anyomore (about another month I'd say, at the rate he's growing:mad:)...

We (he) just wanted to feel the weight of them to see if the ads were true...but he didn't even ask for them...thought they felt like hard plastic and wasn't very impressed (thank god:P)....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Just fyi...today wasn't about me buying those boots for him - not a hope. He got the ronaldo boots for xmas and will wear them until they don't fit him anyomore (about another month I'd say, at the rate he's growing:mad:)...

We (he) just wanted to feel the weight of them to see if the ads were true...but he didn't even ask for them...thought they felt like hard plastic and wasn't very impressed (thank god:P)....

Yeah I got from your post that you werent going to be buying but I was just making the point that at that age its just about a comfortable boot and the branded boots charge crazy amounts for use that you can get from something much cheaper.

PiE wrote: »
    I think comfort is different to what's being asked - you need to be comfortable in any sport.

Whether having boots made of cutting edge material / technology etc makes a difference to your game or not - well no. Of course not. It's just one gimmick after another designed to make you think you could be better with them than without.

I'm sure all the professionals would wear their standard World Cups/Puma Kings/whatever if they weren't being paid millions to wear the newer boots.

Couldn't disagree with you more on that tbh. I'm not saying that every boot is completely unique and affects your play in an unique way, but there certainly are differences between some boots. T-90s for example, have a relatively wide base (ie where your toes are) while Vapours have a comparatively narrow base. This makes a bit of a difference when shooting/passing in my experience. With vapours there's a very fine line between perfect contact and just slicing he ball out if play. Obviously these are polar opposites in terms of boots but there are slight differences with most boots.
    Also, I'm sure the shape and colour of your boots has a minor psychological effect on your play (considering you'd spend a lot of time glancing down at them) I'm not sure if any studies have been conducted in this area but I'd be amazed if I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Comfort and grip are the main things as said above.

I used to never worry to much about boots, that it was all psychological, but recently I'm beginning to think they do have a subtle effect on playing style.

For example, my old pair of boots used always be handy for making little toe pokes, had a fairly narrow top so used be able to direct them fairly well (great for putting it through keepers legs).

New boots are a bit wider at the front, so it's slightly harder to get direction, find myself missing one on ones a lot more. But on the plus side it's much easier to scoop the ball as a result, so I've found myself playing the little ball over the top a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Also, I'm sure the shape and colour of your boots has a minor psychological effect on your play (considering you'd spend a lot of time glancing down at them) I'm not sure if any studies have been conducted in this area but I'd be amazed if I was wrong.

Apparently Drogba claimed he felt he was receiving the ball more from his team mates when when he was wearing colourful boots instead of standard black ones. Sounds like a crock of sh*t to me tbh.

I was just thinking this the other day, I bought a new pair of boots recently, and I HATE the breaking in period. Blisters all over my feet the first 5 hours of using them. So I always wondered what they did for professionals, as they get a new pair of boots every game right? If they had to use the same ones and us plebs their feet would be destroyed 24/7 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

eZe^ wrote: »
    Apparently Drogba claimed he felt he was receiving the ball more from his team mates when when he was wearing colourful boots instead of standard black ones. Sounds like a crock of sh*t to me tbh.

I was just thinking this the other day, I bought a new pair of boots recently, and I HATE the breaking in period. Blisters all over my feet the first 5 hours of using them. So I always wondered what they did for professionals, as they get a new pair of boots every game right? If they had to use the same ones and us plebs their feet would be destroyed 24/7 :p

The professionals' boots are bespoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

I don't know how people wear F50's or Vapors,they're like slippers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It absolutely does make a difference.

I spent ages trying various boots (Preds, Kings, Legends etc) before finally settling on World Cups/Cops. They suit my feet well once there's a bit of an insole in there and they're very neat as well.

As for kids, when they have the Ronaldo boot or the Messi boot do they really? Do they have the top of range 120 euro boot? If they do then fair enough. If not then they just have the cheap imitation version which is a load of plastic shite imo and not worth the price you pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Knew a lad called Billy, he was **** without his boots.

Xavi6 wrote: »

As for kids, when they have the Ronaldo boot or the Messi boot do they really? Do they have the top of range 120 euro boot? If they do then fair enough. If not then they just have the cheap imitation version which is a load of plastic shite imo and not worth the price you pay for it.

F50s 39 quid in JJB up to size 3, i buy in bulk over there cos the lik fukker keeps growing. Slightly thicker skin on them other than that they near identical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Knew a lad called Billy, he was **** without his boots.

May not be many old enough to catch the reference.

Is there anyone that actually still plays football (competitively) and couldn't care what boots they're wearing?

Is there anyone that actually still plays football (competitively) and couldn't care what boots they're wearing?

Doubt it, you wouldnt were uncomfortable shoes or runners so why would anyone choose to wear boots that are uncomfortable.

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »

Ally McCoist used to have a superstition that he would only change the boots he was wearing if he didnt score a goal in a game. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The studs defo make a difference. Mouldies for astro, blades for firm grass, studs for soft grass/mud.

As for the boot I go for about the 70 to 100 euro range. Bought my copa mundial mouldies for 100 euro and they've served me well. Durable for astro which tends to ruin boots quicker in my experience.

I have 90 quid predators for the winter league and they do grand. I'm not near a level where I would foolishly convince myself that a different boot will me better/worse at football - I look for build-quality and comfort above all else and the adidas seem to tick both boxes for me.

Any non-pros that swear to themselves they need the latest 250 euro boot to play ball are probably full of shít.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It absolutely does make a difference.

I spent ages trying various boots (Preds, Kings, Legends etc) before finally settling on World Cups/Cops. They suit my feet well once there's a bit of an insole in there and they're very neat as well.

You're talking about the fit and comfort of a boot, not the technical improvement that a boot offers.

It's (literally) painfully obvious that you will play better in a boot that fits you well.

The studs defo make a difference. Mouldies for astro, blades for firm grass, studs for soft grass/mud.

As for the boot I go for about the 70 to 100 euro range. Bought my copa mundial mouldies for 100 euro and they've served me well. Durable for astro which tends to ruin boots quicker in my experience.

I have 90 quid predators for the winter league and they do grand. I'm not near a level where I would foolishly convince myself that a different boot will me better/worse at football - I look for build-quality and comfort above all else and the adidas seem to tick both boxes for me.

Any non-pros that swear to themselves they need the latest 250 euro boot to play ball are probably full of shít.

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/prodinfo.asp?PID=PDS-002-010-VIP&DEPT=2&BRAND=10&SS=1&PROFILE=Power
    PUMA have offered Pro-Direct Soccer customers the chance to visit the ACE clinic and manufacturing facility in Cardiff, where professional players such as Peter Crouch go to have their hand made match day boots created.

£1500 :eek:

Imagine a junior player shelling out that much!!

Dempsey wrote: »

And then some big clugger sticking his studs through them 10 minutes into the game!
    drogba-vapor-superfly-rip.jpg

• Advertisement

And then some big clugger sticking his studs through them 10 minutes into the game!
    drogba-vapor-superfly-rip.jpg

RMA them and tick the wrong boot size reason for returning them :pac:

Sadly i know a few that would, Celtic Tiger an all.

has anyone see the bastardisation Nike boots you can get or €80 but for €350 you can get your name on them.

Nike-Mercurial-Vapor-Superfly-II-Safari-Elite-FG-Mens-Soccer-Cleat-396127_180_A.png

€350 with your kids name on them, terrified to see that it costs in adult size. The amount of **** kids wearing these boots if the parents spent that money on coaching :(

If a parent pays that much on a kid's boot they deserve to be shafted tbh.

€350 with your kids name on them, terrified to see that it costs in adult size. The amount of **** kids wearing these boots if the parents spent that money on coaching :(

never mind spending that money on coaching, if parents were more inclined to help their local youth clubs out rather than use them as a creche....

never mind spending that money on coaching, if parents were more inclined to help their local youth clubs out rather than use them as a creche....

No some of them show up and scream abuse at the kids and other players, kids football is a haven for ****wads and if you ever have kids a way of showing you what not to do.

Great fun every weekend watching parents who know **** all about football screaming abuse at their kids to "go wide" any wider and hes fcuking beside you, "Shoot" hes in his own fcuking half, "tackle" he was just skinned no player on earth is catching the other guy.

And of course a mention to the parent who hauls his kid home cos he was subbed.

No some of them show up and scream abuse at the kids and other players, kids football is a haven for ****wads and if you ever have kids a way of showing you what not to do.

Great fun every weekend watching parents who know **** all about football screaming abuse at their kids to "go wide" any wider and hes fcuking beside you, "Shoot" hes in his own fcuking half, "tackle" he was just skinned no player on earth is catching the other guy.

Christ yeah, i remember that type only too well.

When i was playing in Glasgow it was the mothers they had to watch out for, the crazy feckers were volatile to say the least! I'd say the management had more of a time stopping them from fighting with the opposition's mothers than getting us to play football.

That said, they always brought soup! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

They are built specifically for your feet and suit your biomechanics perfectly. Your weight transfer while running, height of arch etc.. If it was your day job to be a footballer and comfort wearing them for long periods was paramount then it'd probably seem more worthwhile.

Sadly i know a few that would, Celtic Tiger an all.

has anyone see the bastardisation Nike boots you can get or €80 but for €350 you can get your name on them.

Nike-Mercurial-Vapor-Superfly-II-Safari-Elite-FG-Mens-Soccer-Cleat-396127_180_A.png

These are the ugly looking things that himself got.

In fairness, Santa brought them. they were 50e and I paid 22.50 to get his name on them in Lifestyle (looks great, I have to say)....so 72.50 for Santa this Xmas...wasn't bad;)

And I remember Billy's Boots well...read that for years and only recently told himself the story..:D Wonder can it still be found anywhere?

Have to say, I have the best fun ever on the sideline, listening to 6 dads shouting 6 different directions to the kids. One of them was recently sent off by a ref (had to go back to his car) for being such a tw&t.

We have one dad who constantly shouts at his lad 'If you don't stay in position, I'm telling your Ma when we get home!!!'...

I don't roar from the sideline...just the odd 'C'mon son...';)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Morf wrote: »
    They are built specifically for your feet and suit your biomechanics perfectly. Your weight transfer while running, height of arch etc.. If it was your day job to be a footballer and comfort wearing them for long periods was paramount then it'd probably seem more worthwhile.

I'd say a professional footballer making 50,000 a week doesn't mind either, especially as they get PAID to wear those boots. :p I'd love to get paid to wear 1500 quid boots. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement