Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allotments Galway city

Options
  • 24-02-2011 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Does anyone have space/ land (not much needed mind you) to grow a few herbs and veggies. I live in rented accomodation in galway city and asked the land lady if i could put in some raised beds in the large back garden and she refused :( So im asking if anyone has some land/ garden to spare!! and maybe get a little gardening community going. The list for alotments is huge in galway city so people are obviously interested.
    Allotments have taken off in the past 2 years but most are charging a fortune for a years rental. I dont mind paying for the use of the land but most are in excess of 200 yoyos which is just too pricey.
    Thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

What side of the city are you? There are community Gardens in Ballybane, and a few other places I think. Surely they can't cost 200e for them?

Do you live in an estate? Ask the Res association about growing in a disused part.

Raised beds look a bit more permanent than they actually are, ask her if you can put out a couple of pots and growbags. You could at least get some salad, spuds and tomatoes going. A window box too?

Ask someone if you can grow in a bit of their big garden in return for mowing and pruning. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Have a look at Dragons Den (repeated tonight at 8). There are a couple of guys on it with a yoke that the landlady might allow.

I don't know if this is of any use to you.. but my brother lives in an apartment that has a balcony - what he's done is take a normal hanging shoe rack, similar to the one pictured here, filled it up with soil and some fertilizer and they hang this on the balcony, where they grow herbs and some tomatoes. Like I said, it might not be what you're looking for, but it could work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bonchem

Living nearer to the claddagh/salthill. those community lots great..but are in high demand (waiting lists) as they are cheap
    I grew some lettuce and tomatoes last year in pots....which was ok but they get depleted of nutrients pretty quick.I got a quote of 200 euro for 30sqmetre plot a little outside galway city today. recession people!!!!!
    Good idea about the res association tho...ill send around a few flyers in the neighbourhood too and see what kind of response i get....id like to get a group together for the social aspect .

Thanks for suggestion about the dragons den thing..i saw it and its just as handy to use grow bags

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

would love to start growing some veg myself or in a community , just moved into a new house in remore with a big garden not 2 sure about the quality of the soil but growing on it would be no problem

stay high:P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

there are community gardens somewhere is renmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

I live in rented accommodation aswell without access to a garden but i still grow Rosemary, Basil, Chili's, Garlic,Tomatoes etc. All you need are pots, compost and the seed etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement