Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployment rate 2011

Options
  • 24-02-2011 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello everyone,

Can anyone point out what is the current unemployment rate & job-market in Ireland??

How bad the situation is?? And is there a improvement in sight??

How well the economy is rising & what is being done to reduce the unemployment rate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

The live register currently stands at about 13.5%. However, I would stress that this includes part time and seasonal workers and thus, is not a true reflection of unemployment. The real % is quite hard to ascertain and some believe it could be as high at about 18%. Regardless, there does seem to be a trend that unemployment is stabilising at its current level as emigration is starting to kick in.

As for improvement, it's hard to see any at present. The ECB/IMF have predicted moderate improvements over the coming 3-4 years but it seems likely that unemployment will stay above 10% for some years yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kkk2011

Thank You..

I would also like to know.. would the following help me in any way??

I'm a foreign national (non-EU) with 5yrs of experience as Functional Tester [IT sector].

I'm planning to pursue MBA from UCD [Micheal Smurfit School]. Will the degree from UCD + my previous exp will help me in anyway to get a descent job in Ireland ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

kkk2011 wrote: »
    Thank You..

I would also like to know.. would the following help me in any way??

I'm a foreign national (non-EU) with 5yrs of experience as Functional Tester [IT sector].

I'm planning to pursue MBA from UCD [Micheal Smurfit School]. Will the degree from UCD + my previous exp will help me in anyway to get a descent job in Ireland ??

IT is one area in which it's quite easy to get a job with experience. There are, of course, no guarantees of anything but in general, skilled IT staff are hard to come by and tend to be snatched up fairly quickly. I'd say you'd have a fairly good chance allright,

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Taxi Drivers

RichardAnd wrote: »
    The live register currently stands at about 13.5%. However, I would stress that this includes part time and seasonal workers and thus, is not a true reflection of unemployment. The real % is quite hard to ascertain and some believe it could be as high at about 18%. Regardless, there does seem to be a trend that unemployment is stabilising at its current level as emigration is starting to kick in.

We do have a true measure of unemployment. This is provided by the Quarterly National Household Survey and with Q3 2010 the latest figures released. The Q4 2010 figures will be released in the next few weeks.

The headline numbers are that there were 299,000 people unemployed giving a unemployment rate of 13.6% in Q3 2010.

Based on patterns in the Live Register since they the CSO currently have an estimated unemployment rate of 13.4%. See here. No one believes it is as high as 18%.

There's loads of stuff on the latest QNHS unemployment figures here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Stats out today for the last quarter of 2011.

14.1% is the unemployment level and employment levels are still falling. No recovery in jobs there. Emigration and back to education kicking in. http://www.cso.ie/newsevents/pr_qnhsq42010.htm
    CSO wrote:
    Employment declined by 3.4% (-64,500) to 1,823,200 in the year to the fourth quarter of 2010. This compares to an annual decrease of 3.7% in the previous quarter and a decrease of 8.1% in the year to the fourth quarter of 2009.

The average employment level in 2010 was 80,700 or 4.2% lower than the level recorded in 2009. This follows a decrease of 171,100 or 8.1% between 2008 and 2009.

On a seasonally adjusted basis, employment fell by 16,200 (-0.9%) in the quarter. This follows on from a seasonally adjusted fall in employment of 22,700 (-1.2%) in Q3 2010

• Advertisement
Advertisement