Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting out of a lease

Options
  • 24-02-2011 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

I signed a lease last Sept until May or something, but I am looking to get out of it as I just can't afford the rent. I have somewhere to stay in the meantime and was wondering if I just told the landlord I can't afford to pay? What can they do, make me buy out the rest of the lease even though I can't afford this months rent?

My flatmate dropped out of college months ago and has moved out, and he hasn't had to pay rent...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

I signed a lease last Sept until May or something, but I am looking to get out of it as I just can't afford the rent. I have somewhere to stay in the meantime and was wondering if I just told the landlord I can't afford to pay? What can they do, make me buy out the rest of the lease even though I can't afford this months rent?

My flatmate dropped out of college months ago and has moved out, and he hasn't had to pay rent...

If you find someone to take over your lease and pay the same amount of rent as you are paying etc, you can leave. The landlord/leasing agent has to accept this person, whoever they are. If they don't, you are entitled to leave anyway and get your full deposit back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

Baralis1 wrote: »
    If you find someone to take over your lease and pay the same amount of rent as you are paying etc, you can leave. The landlord/leasing agent has to accept this person, whoever they are. If they don't, you are entitled to leave anyway and get your full deposit back.

What if I don't find anyone? As I said, one of my flatmates moved out ages ago and nobody came in to replace him. And apparently he isn't paying rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Have you checked your lease to see if there's a 'break lease' clause?

A landlord is entitled to pursue you for the remainder of the rent owed on your lease, but if, as mentioned above, you find somebody to replace you paying the same rent, then you can move out without having to pay any further rent.

Have a chat with your landlord and see what they say about you moving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You paying for the room, or for the flat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

the_syco wrote: »
    You paying for the room, or for the flat?

I'm not sure what you mean. There were originally 3 of us, paying 1/3 of the rent each. After one of the guys moved out, myself and the remaining tenant are still paying the same amount as before (i.e. we did not have to pick up the rest)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm not sure what you mean. There were originally 3 of us, paying 1/3 of the rent each. After one of the guys moved out, myself and the remaining tenant are still paying the same amount as before (i.e. we did not have to pick up the rest)
    If there were three rooms, you'd each pay a third, and if one left, you'd each pay half, as there would only be two to split the rent. If there was 3, and now two, and you still paid the same rent, you may be paying per room, as opposed to paying for the entire flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

What if I don't find anyone? As I said, one of my flatmates moved out ages ago and nobody came in to replace him. And apparently he isn't paying rent.

If he isn't paying rent anymore, then either the landlord allowed him to break his lease, or he broke his lease illegially and the landlord just held his deposit and didn't bother following him, or possible is following him for the rent.

Talk to your landlord. If the landlord allows you to leave fair enough, If he dosen't, your options are to find someone willing to take over your lease as mentioned in my previous post whether the landlord accepts them or not, or leave illegially, forfeit deposit and risk being chased for the rent due for the rest of the lease.

Advertisement