Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the music in some pubs niteclubs so LOUD FFS

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

cml387 wrote: »
    ....but these go to eleven!
    :pac:

You know some just won't get that reference! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Try working in a radio station !

All these people going on about not been able to converse with your friends... you can do that anytime, when it's club time, it's just me and the music, I dont wanna hear what my mates have to say, if so we'll go out for a quick smoke once and a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Now i dont want to be going on like a party pooper but i was out last nite for RAG week with a few friends & we went into Scraggs for a few but i just had to leave after 20mins couldn't hear myself speak the place was jammers music was possibly the loudest iv ever heard (im 26yrs). .(i have been to my fair few Concerts)
    They use the same kind of speakers ud find in the O2 arena So when 1 puts speakers in a small area & cranks it up to probably 120 decibels if your head doesn't explode your ears will.
    I used to work with a DJ from London & he had fairly bad hearing problems at 34
    Is their any law in Ireland as to how loud a Public House can play music :rolleyes: ?

Basically a big part of the reason is moronic DJ's who think that "loud equals good" without quite understanding the equipment they are using, that is to say if a mixer is showing in the red it means the quality of the signal is beginning to fall apart and the audio sounds ****.

This all basically leads to the fact that neither the DJ, nor the crowd, knows a thing about music and you are drinking in the wrong place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Basically a big part of the reason is moronic DJ's who think that "loud equals good" without quite understanding the equipment they are using, that is to say if a mixer is showing in the red it means the quality of the signal is beginning to fall apart and the audio sounds ****.

This all basically leads to the fact that neither the DJ, nor the crowd, knows a thing about music and you are drinking in the wrong place.

What happens when the DJ is forced to play louder than he wants to? That happens quite regularly. I regularly have to disagree with bosses over volume, they want it ear-splitting, i want it pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

I avoid this issue by voting with my feet and not going to places that are loud.

Pretty simple really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

If venues invest in decent equipment, DJ's can get a decent sound without having to blast it out.

I've noticed its just the crap quality of the soundsystem and the high-end being a bit too much that leads to sore ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

nobody wants to be able to hear students talk shíte - thats why

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    If venues invest in decent equipment, DJ's can get a decent sound without having to blast it out.

I've noticed its just the crap quality of the soundsystem and the high-end being a bit too much that leads to sore ears.

The technical term is clipping,

http://www.ofsoundmind.com/OSM2/tech/speakers/clipping.jpg

if amp is designed to handle an input of 0.7 volts AC max and an output of 14 Volts AC max ( hard limited by the voltage of the power supply ) then putting in either more than 0.7 volts ac or adjusting the gain so that output peak would be more than 14 volts ac means the amp won't faithfully reproduce the input, and you've just wasted most of the money invested in the sound system, unless the intention was to produce white noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

nobody wants to be able to hear students talk shíte - thats why

Fair point i guess ;);););) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

ottostreet wrote: »
    What happens when the DJ is forced to play louder than he wants to? That happens quite regularly. I regularly have to disagree with bosses over volume, they want it ear-splitting, i want it pleasant.

Your inability to stand up for your artistic vision is simply adding to the problem, no offence.:D

Ah no, in all seriousness dudes who run pubs and clubs are normally tossers, so i feel bad for the position your in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Hit a jazz club. Sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

deaddonkey wrote: »
    I avoid this issue by voting with my feet

I tried voting with my feet there a few weeks back - got thrown out of the polling station for getting mud all over the ballot paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I lived above a bar for a while a few years back. In the beginning it was fine, the floor had good insulation and it wasn't a late bar so it was usually closed by about 1 am. However it then started to struggle so the owners response was to turn up the music so loud that the floor was actually vibrating and to stay open for as long as possible. It was actually ridiculous because I'd often walk by it and the place would be absolutely empty but the music blaring so loud that you wouldn't be able to have a conversation as you walked by.

Then it turned into a restaurant, happy days. Unfortunately it was a bad restaurant and they still had their bar license, so when they started to struggle they had the same business plan to just turn the music up as loud as possible. It closed down again shortly after I moved out. Pity because it wasn't all that bad an apartment apart from the noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Well you have two choices, OP: go to the place with high volume and be happy you can't hear the pick-up lines that include "I've lost my number, can I have yours ? ;)", or you can go to a seedy tavern and have Moe Szyslak leer at you.

Advertisement