Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCU - MSc in Computer Aided Mechancial and Manufacturing Engineering

• 24-02-2011 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Anyone done this course? Just want to get an idea of peoples views on it and also the hours involved.

Considering doing this full time come september. I like the look of the modules, think they will keep me interested!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

chris85 wrote: »
    Anyone done this course? Just want to get an idea of peoples views on it and also the hours involved.

Considering doing this full time come september. I like the look of the modules, think they will keep me interested!

I am finishing this year, by Distance, but also did a Bachelors there. What would you like to know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I am interested in the workload involved in terms of hours/days per week. would be looking at this full time.

I finished level 8 Bachelors degree in Engineering a few years ago. A lot of the modules seem to be a progression on what i have done.

I would pick everything up quick enough but wondering is there support to help instroduce each subject as i have been working outside engineering since graduating a few years ago and as such i am concerned i may need just a little help getting back into it. I got a 1.1 in my degree so not a dummy but just would be good to know a support structure there?

I am interested in the workload involved in terms of hours/days per week. would be looking at this full time.

I finished level 8 Bachelors degree in Engineering a few years ago. A lot of the modules seem to be a progression on what i have done.

I would pick everything up quick enough but wondering is there support to help instroduce each subject as i have been working outside engineering since graduating a few years ago and as such i am concerned i may need just a little help getting back into it. I got a 1.1 in my degree so not a dummy but just would be good to know a support structure there?

The workload would be similar to final year. You will be expected to start your thesis while working on Modules (In the second semester and through the summer). I am working in industry now (in the US) and I can tell you my masters has been well received due to its practical nature, apposed to some more academic programs out there. I think if you got a 1.1 you should not have a problem. I have noticed, some guys coming from the IT's seem to struggle on the more mathematical subjects (CFD and FEA).
    As regards to the support, I think the lecturers are surprisingly personable. Most of them expect to be on first name basis (Apposed to Dr. so and so), and are very approachable. As long as you are seen to work, the will go out of their way to help you. Most people entering the course will be in your position so I would not worry about getting back into the swing of things.

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    The workload would be similar to final year. You will be expected to start your thesis while working on Modules (In the second semester and through the summer). I am working in industry now (in the US) and I can tell you my masters has been well received due to its practical nature, apposed to some more academic programs out there. I think if you got a 1.1 you should not have a problem. I have noticed, some guys coming from the IT's seem to struggle on the more mathematical subjects (CFD and FEA).
    As regards to the support, I think the lecturers are surprisingly personable. Most of them expect to be on first name basis (Apposed to Dr. so and so), and are very approachable. As long as you are seen to work, the will go out of their way to help you. Most people entering the course will be in your position so I would not worry about getting back into the swing of things.

Sounds good. I am expecting a high workload and to be honest dont mind that. used to it from college.

Approachable lecturers will make it easier. I am hoping will have no issues getting back into it but good lecturers will make it easier if i am struggling.

Wont have problem with maths side like the IT fellas. To be honest the modules dont seem suited to anyone with an IT degree. seems like a degree in Engineering/Physics would be required. Anyways see how i get on

Sounds good. I am expecting a high workload and to be honest dont mind that. used to it from college.

Approachable lecturers will make it easier. I am hoping will have no issues getting back into it but good lecturers will make it easier if i am struggling.

Wont have problem with maths side like the IT fellas. To be honest the modules dont seem suited to anyone with an IT degree. seems like a degree in Engineering/Physics would be required. Anyways see how i get on
    Sorry, excuse the confusion. I mean't Engineer grads, from an Institute of Technology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Darren,

Was thinking of doing CAMME by distance also, just wondering how you're finding it? Is it manageable while working full time? Is contacting lecturers easy enough if you've a question about something? How do you get access to all the different software packages needed for FEA and CFD and the likes? Also what about exams?

danthefan wrote: »
    Darren,

Was thinking of doing CAMME by distance also, just wondering how you're finding it? Is it manageable while working full time? Is contacting lecturers easy enough if you've a question about something? How do you get access to all the different software packages needed for FEA and CFD and the likes? Also what about exams?

I do not think it is any more difficult than final year. The lecturers are pretty good at getting back to you and pretty flexible with people working full time. FEA they have an ED version and CFD I used my companies machines. Exams you must attend, which is typical in Ireland. Any questions, let me know.

Thanks for the reply, pretty sure I'm going to apply at this stage but will probably contact someone in DCU to talk about it first.

Have you found it worthwhile overall?
    And are you doing it over just one year or two?

Thanks for the reply, pretty sure I'm going to apply at this stage but will probably contact someone in DCU to talk about it first.

Have you found it worthwhile overall?
    And are you doing it over just one year or two?

I think it is worthwhile, and my employer has commented that the masters in more applicable/practical than local programs (USA). It is not easy doing it while working and it is just a matter of being disciplined. I am doing it over 2 years. I have found it very interesting and hopefully it will lead to other opportunities. Any other questions, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭grateface

Hey, I'm just in the second semester of this course now. (full time)

I'd have to say it's definitely worthwhile, (although odd hearing from someone technically in the same small class and having never met them, Darren. haha.)

I did my degree in mech eng in UCD and would have only touched on FEA and the likes, coming out of the course this year though I would definately say that I'd be fairly competent with it now. In UCD we only had a few labs here and there of computer based learning, so not really coming away with any practical experience. But plenty of knowledge obviously, so this masters would definitely stand to me going job hunting come September.

If you got a 1.1 in your degree you'll fly it I'd imagine.

Any other questions and I'll be happy to answer.

• Advertisement

grateface wrote: »
    Hey, I'm just in the second semester of this course now. (full time)

I'd have to say it's definitely worthwhile, (although odd hearing from someone technically in the same small class and having never met them, Darren. haha.)

I did my degree in mech eng in UCD and would have only touched on FEA and the likes, coming out of the course this year though I would definately say that I'd be fairly competent with it now. In UCD we only had a few labs here and there of computer based learning, so not really coming away with any practical experience. But plenty of knowledge obviously, so this masters would definitely stand to me going job hunting come September.

If you got a 1.1 in your degree you'll fly it I'd imagine.

Any other questions and I'll be happy to answer.

Ha ha I know. I started this a couple years back Part time, expecting to returning from the US to finish, but never returned to Ireland. Much better value than the US education IMO. I finish in August and doing a CFD project with Dr. Delaure. I travel back for exams and to visit the famn damily. I did my undergrad at DCU, so we cover a decent bit of FEA and CFD. I think they are making the undergrad FEA an intro for the masters and making the current masters a little more in depth and calling it "Advanced". Who you doing your thesis with?

Just looking at the different options none seem to actually specify distance student, do you just apply for the part time course?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭grateface

Ha ha I know. I started this a couple years back Part time, expecting to returning from the US to finish, but never returned to Ireland. Much better value than the US education IMO. I finish in August and doing a CFD project with Dr. Delaure. I travel back for exams and to visit the famn damily. I did my undergrad at DCU, so we cover a decent bit of FEA and CFD. I think they are making the undergrad FEA an intro for the masters and making the current masters a little more in depth and calling it "Advanced". Who you doing your thesis with?

Ye I did the FEA last semester and am doing the Advanced FEA this semester. The advanced one is just for masters students.
    I'm doing the Bioreactor control system thesis with Brabazon. Have done tap all so far, there doesnt seem to be any pressure from lectureres as of yet. In reality we have 12 full weeks in the summer to do it so It should be grand.

grateface wrote: »
    Ye I did the FEA last semester and am doing the Advanced FEA this semester. The advanced one is just for masters students.
    I'm doing the Bioreactor control system thesis with Brabazon. Have done tap all so far, there doesnt seem to be any pressure from lectureres as of yet. In reality we have 12 full weeks in the summer to do it so It should be grand.

I did the advanced, but did regular at undergrad. I am being pushed a bit, but suppose that is because I am P/t and work F/t. I had already started a literature review before I officially had the project but is slow going thus far. Got about 6-7 pages on the physics of my problem. I am starting CFD modeling this week. Eugh...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I did the advanced, but did regular at undergrad. I am being pushed a bit, but suppose that is because I am P/t and work F/t. I had already started a literature review before I officially had the project but is slow going thus far. Got about 6-7 pages on the physics of my problem. I am starting CFD modeling this week. Eugh...

thank god im not the only part timer struggling!

CatFromHue wrote: »

Just more of pain having to do it, but it will be over soon. It is not too difficult. The main pain was getting started. Plus I have exams deferred due to a concussion in Jan, to look forward to in August. Shame because I was well prepared... What are you is you project on Cat?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

im fairly swamped at work and had to travel abroad with work as well which ate into my study time in a big way.

i dont start my project until the summer. im thinking of doing it on a topic of my own.

im fairly swamped at work and had to travel abroad with work as well which ate into my study time in a big way.

i dont start my project until the summer. im thinking of doing it on a topic of my own.
    I know what you mean. I started, thinking I was coming back from the USA, but never did. Kind of a pain but it is over soon!

Guys, sorry for asking again, but I'm looking at the application site (www.pac.ie/dcu) and none of the options specify distance learning. Do you just go for the part time course?

I tried to contact Dr. Paul Young with some questions but he never got back to me.

Guys, sorry for asking again, but I'm looking at the application site (www.pac.ie/dcu) and none of the options specify distance learning. Do you just go for the part time course?

I tried to contact Dr. Paul Young with some questions but he never got back to me.

It is just the part time. Most notes go online and the lecturers email the assignments. A couple of courses require lecture attendance but you can avoid them. People are doing it from all over ireland as I can tell and only come to DCU for exams and pertinent times. Allot of P/t people do attend also.

• Advertisement

It is just the part time. Most notes go online and the lecturers email the assignments. A couple of courses require lecture attendance but you can avoid them. People are doing it from all over ireland as I can tell and only come to DCU for exams and pertinent times. Allot of P/t people do attend also.

Thanking you. Might as well get my application in now so.

Oh, fees. Is it still €2000 doing the course over 2 years?

Thanking you. Might as well get my application in now so.

I have enjoyed the course so far, would have preferred to be F/t as it is difficult to balance time, but it is easier when your employer is sympathetic to your cause. Mine was not.

its 2500 per year dan. so if you do it over 2 years you have to pay 5000.

also you have to ring paul young, he seems to always be up to his eyes so is very difficult to get him to email back. once you get him on the phone he is always very helpfull.

id also like to be doing the course full time but just wouldnt be able to affored it

also you have to ring paul young, he seems to always be up to his eyes so is very difficult to get him to email back. once you get him on the phone he is always very helpfull.
    Agreed, just try catch him when he is in the office on the phone, not so much on messages or email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Wudulookatdis!

Hi guys I'm also thinking about doing this course part time in September. Can anyone tell me roughly how many hours a week I would need to put in? I work and have an hours commute home so I really want a good idea of what I'm committing to.

Hi guys I'm also thinking about doing this course part time in September. Can anyone tell me roughly how many hours a week I would need to put in? I work and have an hours commute home so I really want a good idea of what I'm committing to.

It would be dependant on your level background and even more so on your choice of modules. I found for some I did 4 hrs per week. and for others I did 2-3 days before the exam and I was grand.
    What is your degree and yr of grad? Do you work in something related? I will finish mine soon from the US without a problem and with a significant commute to work. However I was a recent grad in somthing close, and familiar with DCU and the lecturers...

I applied and was accepted for a spot in this part time.

I wouldn't be able to attend lectures at all, I know a few people here were in the same boat. The main thing that's concerning me now is access to the software packages required to complete the course, if I wanted to do the likes of CFD or FEA at home is this possible at all? I could probably get to DCU on some weekends but that's about it.

There is a student version of Ansys FEA program available but not for Fluent CFD, you'll have to use the computers in DCU for this. The student version of Ansys FEA is not as powerful as the version available in DCU though.

There is a student version of Ansys FEA program available but not for Fluent CFD, you'll have to use the computers in DCU for this. The student version of Ansys FEA is not as powerful as the version available in DCU though.

Thanks.

Despite being not as powerful, would it be good enough to do the assignments and the likes on?

Guess I could just go into DCU on weekends so to do CFD.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Despite being not as powerful, would it be good enough to do the assignments and the likes on?

Yeah, I completed my project with it, but had problems with accuracy. I explained them and still got a good grade. It should not be a problem to come in on the weekend. You'll find the Engineering building is one of the more frequented buildings on the weekend.

Thanks.

Yeah, I completed my project with it, but had problems with accuracy. I explained them and still got a good grade. It should not be a problem to come in on the weekend. You'll find the Engineering building is one of the more frequented buildings on the weekend.

OK sounds good.

One final question, are there any Phd opportunities there once you complete this course?

I think I'm going to do it anyway if I can sort out the money.

OK sounds good.

One final question, are there any Phd opportunities there once you complete this course?

I think I'm going to do it anyway if I can sort out the money.

There are always opportunities. My lecturer inquired whether I was interested in continuing to complete a PhD on my project. Often allot of masters students are approached by Lecturers, particularly if you have good grades.

Sorry to drag up my thread again but I have applied and all documents in and status on PAC has confirmed application complete and has been forwarded to member of faculty for decision.

The closing date for the course is 9th September. Should i not expect any response till after that date or would they review the application sooner and offer a place?

I kinda could do with knowing sooner rather than later to organise a few things with work. Work are aware of the application but want to try give as much time as possible as need to offload a lot of work at short notice otherwise.

Sorry to drag up my thread again but I have applied and all documents in and status on PAC has confirmed application complete and has been forwarded to member of faculty for decision.

The closing date for the course is 9th September. Should i not expect any response till after that date or would they review the application sooner and offer a place?

I kinda could do with knowing sooner rather than later to organise a few things with work. Work are aware of the application but want to try give as much time as possible as need to offload a lot of work at short notice otherwise.

I would call Dr. Paul Young. He would be the guy to ask.

I would call Dr. Paul Young. He would be the guy to ask.

Dont want to appear to be canvassing or anything and since everything goes through PAC maybe just better waiting. Hate waiting through.

More hoping others have applied in best and can give estimates of time lines for acceptance.

• Advertisement

My application was lost between PAC and DCU so I'd ring up.

My application was lost between PAC and DCU so I'd ring up.

How did that happen? How did you know?

You would think with the importance of the details the PAC are handling they would have to get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

After sending the required docs it took about a week for that step then after that a payment of €500 deposit to pac is required to secure a place. I will have to pay €2750 before registration.

heid wrote: »
    After sending the required docs it took about a week for that step then after that a payment of €500 deposit to pac is required to secure a place. I will have to pay €2750 before registration.

€500 deposit will leave €2250 remaining. Aint bad. it states only need 60% of fee paid by registration and balance by January next year.

Fingers crossed.

Nope, full payment for camme . "Please note that fees for Graduate Skills Funded Programmes (ESF funding) must be paid in full on/before registration.
    link

• Advertisement

Actually you have to pay it all upfront for the graduate skills conversion fees.

No worries read it wrong first time. My part is for most other courses not funded under HEA skills program.

yes, where is the student registration site?

I paid my 500 yoyos a while ago now, should I have gotten anything in meantime from DCU? When does the course even start does anyone know?

I paid my 500 yoyos a while ago now, should I have gotten anything in meantime from DCU? When does the course even start does anyone know?

Its due to start on 24th of this month. Maybe give the DCU postgrad team a call on 017008697 and check it out with them.

I am still waiting to see if i have been accepted. Deadline is this Friday. Completed application in since 19th August. Confirmed DCU have it from PAC. They say i should have an answer this week.

I hope they do as i am finishing work and they know the story but need to give them a definite end date so they can find my replacement.

Got the registration material today and registering online now.
    step 6: pick optional modules, maybe skip this step?
    step 9: fees payment €1150, should this not be €2250?

Also trying to register here, I'm really confused by the subject selection.

Am I pick subjects for the entire year here or what? There's a list of stuff, some are semester 1 and some semester 2, plus one compulsory subject has been selected for me (research practice and methodology). Finite Element Analysis is not on the list of subjects I can select, which I want to do. I'm doing the course part time, so I assume I'm supposed to pick two subjects per semester?

afaik, 90 credits total, 30 for thesis so 60 credits remaining which you pick optional modules for. Since modules are 7.5 credits each that means you pick 4 modules per semester.

Got an email which you can charge your module selection after registration.

"You need to pick core and optional modules up to 60 credits.

However students will be able to change their modules online, through their portal page (free of charge) from Monday 3rd October to Friday 7th October 2011"

This may be the blind leading the blind here but for my first semester I just picked the two I was going to do for that semester.

You have to have the research module done before you start your Master's project so factor that into your subject choice. This is for part timers anyway I'm not sure what the rules are for full timers.

There does seem to be alot of chopping and changing with the subjects. I did FEA in the Autumn semester last year. This was a beginners FEA. Then in the Spring semester there was an Advanced FEA module. I believe the Advanced FEA last year was the first time it had been run. Similarly there was a Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics module in the Autumn semester last year which was being run for the first time. I did Complex Structures in my first semester which is no longer run either.

Cool thanks. I rang the registry office there because it wouldn't give me the option of FEA and they sorted me out. I've registered for 30 credits now for the first year. I don't really want to do that reseach techniques yoke but it's compulsory it seems. I can't log into my DCU mail yet so I'm sure I have that email too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement