Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder asking for cash after getting a cheque

Options
  • 24-02-2011 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

A friend had some work done on his gaff and he paid the builder with a cheque today. He was asked not to cross it as it would be cashed. Builder rang him back this afternoon and said his bank wouldn't cash a cheque from that bank, it would take five days, and he has to pay his workmen tomorrow. Asked if there is there any way he could give it to him in cash tomorrow if he stopped by.

The story seems legit in these times, I'm sure the builder is hard up. Obviously before the cash is handed over the cheque needs to be returned intact and examined. Does anyone have any other advice for my friend? Does this sound fishy? Is he gonna get robbed? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

if he pays cash then there mightnt be any official record of him paying him for the work .
    I would insist on cheque just as its traceable and proof that you paid for work done.

It would be different if he knew the builder well etc but for a stranger its better to have a record of transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

maclek wrote: »
    A friend had some work done on his gaff and he paid the builder with a cheque today. He was asked not to cross it as it would be cashed. Builder rang him back this afternoon and said his bank wouldn't cash a cheque from that bank, it would take five days, and he has to pay his workmen tomorrow. Asked if there is there any way he could give it to him in cash tomorrow if he stopped by.

The story seems legit in these times, I'm sure the builder is hard up. Obviously before the cash is handed over the cheque needs to be returned intact and examined. Does anyone have any other advice for my friend? Does this sound fishy? Is he gonna get robbed? :)

If your friend wants to oblige him, get the builder's bank account number and lodge the cash into his account. Your friend won't carry any risk and he'll have a receipt of payment...

Cancel the original cheque before lodging...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Never in a million years should he give him the cash. If the work carried out fails in anyway there is no comeback because there is no trail to link the work to the builder.

Plenty of examples of issues on this on boards. Of course cash could mean cheaper bill so you would need to way up the pros and cons of the work carried out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

If you make the cheque out to the builder, UNCROSSED, and he takes it to your branch, where you hold your account, they should cash it on the spot.

Obviously, he would need photo id to prove who he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

There is no problem giving cash as long as you get a official receipt for the works completed and price paid! Then the work is fully guaranteed and traceable

• Advertisement
Advertisement