Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit retention, via estate agent...

Options
  • 24-02-2011 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

I have used an estate agent for the first time and am due to move in the coming weeks. My estate agent has advised me that the landlord has my deposit and that after they do inspection and send him on the report, he will issue it in due course.

I am just concerned that I am not being refunded straight away as I paid them like that, so just think this is taking the mick tbh.

In the past I used an agent to let my place and they held onto the deposit, so from experience too it just doesn't seem right.

Anyone know what the story is here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

This is quite a common occurrence with EAs or landlords holding on to tenants' deposits for quite a while after the tenant has moved out.

You could always say that you would like to be there when they are 'checking' the apartment, and that you would like the landlord/EA to have your deposit on the day that you move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

Jay D wrote: »
    I have used an estate agent for the first time and am due to move in the coming weeks. My estate agent has advised me that the landlord has my deposit and that after they do inspection and send him on the report, he will issue it in due course.

I am just concerned that I am not being refunded straight away as I paid them like that, so just think this is taking the mick tbh.

In the past I used an agent to let my place and they held onto the deposit, so from experience too it just doesn't seem right.

Anyone know what the story is here?

I wouldn't agree to it. No deposit, no keys (for front/back doors).
    There's a good chance your heart will be broken trying to get it back.
    Tell him you expect your deposit back after the inspection and he has time to get it off the landlord to give to you, (assuming the inspection is arranged like next week or something).

Its not your problem who has or hasn't your deposit.

It might also be worth checking with threshold and the PRTB whether they are allowed to do this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

The deposit is your money, not the agents or the LL.

I would insist on gettting in back on the day of the inspection subject to everything being ok and all bills paid, there is absolutely no reason otherwise and I would not leave or return any keys until I had it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I am just worried that if I do say that about the keys they may deduct lock change cost from the deposit and delay things further.
    I just looked at the PRTB website and unfortunately they stop at 4, so may ask on Monday with them and see what my rights are.

Advertisement