Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what do I do Now ??? upset

Options
  • 24-02-2011 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

So i cant get in as a carpenter as I have been out of work for 2 years. Doing nixers does not count.

What options do I have now? My heart is sinking like a stone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

gsxr1 wrote: »
    So i cant get in as a carpenter as I have been out of work for 2 years. Doing nixers does not count.

What options do I have now? My heart is sinking like a stone.

well you can start by searching the forum and maybe giving us more details.

If you are too old for a WHV and not eligible for a skilled visa - then there is not much else for you, other than a very small chance of a 457

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

I don't mean to sound like a prick, but seriously, you're not gonna get much sympathy here if you don't give up more info! Was that the only reason they gave you? i'd appeal that. What was the visa? Where was it for? If things are that bad for you, why not try canada, NZ, states..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

What age are you? Have you been over before and if so on what visa? Do you have any family over here? You haven’t given us much info to try and help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Sorry.

Im an Irish carpenter by trade. 35 years old and have a partner and 7 year old.

I left my trade of engineering fitter in 00 and started learning carpentry (not a proper apprenticeship). Things where really good till the burst. Was made redundant.

I have been getting by on part time unskilled work and doing carpentry cash nixers for the last 3 years.

I have just got a job to get me back into Engineering but have learned it could be 1 year full time work in the trade to get me back on the right rails with immigration. I have a full recognized apprenticeship in Engineering production.( machining precision parts)

I was very upset at the time of posting .

So I will be 36 years old by the time I qualify .

Is there a faster track I could take. I also need to enrole my son in a school over there and save

My partner is a super market Manager

I have never been.

Is there a faster track I could take.
    My partner is a super market Manager
    Faster track? Honestly you'll be lucky if you even get a visa.

It sounds like the manager role might be the only option - check out the skills list to see if this would be on it.

P.s. You're talking 9-24 months for this visa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Tradies here might be able to tell you more.

To the peanut Gallery... Can you get your skills assessed as a Chippie under the TRA then apply as a chippie due to continuing experience?

hussey wrote: »
    Faster track? Honestly you'll be lucky if you even get a visa.

It sounds like the manager role might be the only option - check out the skills list to see if this would be on it.

P.s. You're talking 9-24 months for this visa

Really. Engineering machinist is on the list of skills at 60 points.

Really. Engineering machinist is on the list of skills at 60 points.

Apologies I thought you meant to apply straight away.

Other than that, you'll have to work your away into the experience area.

Mod All advice here is just general advice, we are not immigration experts, so always research yourself.

hussey wrote: »
    Apologies I thought you meant to apply straight away.

Other than that, you'll have to work your away into the experience area.

Mod All advice here is just general advice, we are not immigration experts, so always research yourself.

OK So correct me if I am not on the correct track.

realistically.

If I set my heart in chasing a years experience in my qualified old trade , spend that year saving hard . Do you think I would have a chance? Or am i just fooling myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

OK So correct me if I am not on the correct track.

realistically.

If I set my heart in chasing a years experience in my qualified old trade , spend that year saving hard . Do you think I would have a chance? Or am i just fooling myself.

really it's pretty realistic that if you rack up a few years recent experience it might pull you through the skills assessment but there is always the danger that your occupation will be removed from the SOL. It happened to a lot of people a few years ago who retrained in some occupation and it was then chopped before they qualified to apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

i have one thing to say. And it relates to your experience as a carpenter, i guess, maybe more. I'm not going to go into details that i do not understand such as what visa you applied for, or where you applied for it.

I'm just gonna say, that within SA, there are jobs for people with the skills. Personally, if i was to think about the technicalities of that article, it's fair to assume that, along with the outlined shortages there, there will be an amplified number of tradies moving to disaster regions. As an immigrant, think about those events and where you're going to, if you really want to enter Australia.

I'd urge you to use this information in conjunction with the sound advice given by other forum posters here..

Advertisement