Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Touchpad not working

• 24-02-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hopefully someone here can help.
    My brother has a problem with his new laptop and because I work for a certain semi-conductor manufactor has asked me to fix :rolleyes:
    The kids where using the laptop to watch a DVD when we think they clicked or pressed some combination of keys the result of which the mouse no longer works. The arrow just stays in middle of screen.
    Using the keys I was able to get into control panel and have a look at the mouse. It said mouse was working fine and I couldn't see an option which said enable/disable mouse. Any ideas what it could be.
    Its running Win 7 if that helps.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

What make of laptop is it?
    You could reinstall the touchpad driver and this should solve the issue. You can plug in a USB mouse to allow you to do this easier.

The driver will either be on a CD or you can download from the manufacturers website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭muppet_man

It's a Dell Inspiron (think it's a 1500 not sure though)
    Am I right in thinking, reinstalling drivers is some where in the control panel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

You could download Ubuntu, run the "boot from CD to try it out" version and see if it works in that.. If it doesnt then it could be a hardware fault...

Did you spill anything on the keyboard?

Did THEY spill anything on the keyboard?

Brother was in same room and didn't mention they spilt anything, so no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Dont think an Inspiron 1500 is a valid model but if you go onto the Dell drivers url : http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Click on Service Tag (if u have a spare mouse to plug in), and enter the service tag which is located underneath the laptop.

Select the version of Windows from the drop-down list (Windows 7 / Vista / XP).

Then click on Input Device Drivers, and download the Dell Driver for the Touchpad.

Run it and it will replace your current driver.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that dilallio :).
    The spanner forgot to give me the charger :rolleyes: so will have to wait till tomorrow to try your suggestion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Sounds like they just disabled the trackpad.

Sometimes laptops have a key combination for this.

Its usually hold Fn (bottom left hand corner in blue) and one of the F keys at the top.

Look at the keys for a shape that looks like a trackpad usually big square with 2 rectangles underneath.

May not be on the laptop but its worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Forgot to say the icons on the F key are blue

hearny wrote: »
    Sounds like they just disabled the trackpad.

Sometimes laptops have a key combination for this.

Its usually hold Fn (bottom left hand corner in blue) and one of the F keys at the top.

Look at the keys for a shape that looks like a trackpad usually big square with 2 rectangles underneath.

May not be on the laptop but its worth a look.

Thanks hearny that was exactly the problem :D
    Beside the control keys for watching the DVD there was a touchpad enable/disable key. They must of hit off that :rolleyes:
    So mystery solved, thanks all for your helpful replies.

Advertisement