Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Bypass Toll

• 24-02-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Is it true that you do not need to pay the toll if you have a disabled parking permit? and if so how do you go about getting an exemption?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It's honestly the first I have heard of it. Try the website would be my suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭newportwex

Brilliant suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

newportwex wrote: »
    Brilliant suggestion.

Welcome back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭YoureSoVain

Can't find any info on it. I was told by a friend that she didnt have to pay when she showed her disabled card but I have never heard it from anyone else or read anything about it. and no, I wouldn't take her word for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can check the toll bye-laws.

Contact the Irish Wheelchair Association or the Disabled Drivers Association for a permit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

newportwex wrote: »
    Brilliant suggestion.

Mod Note

Remember, thin ice. It will break easily and quicker then the ice you were skating on before. So, lets put a firm stop to any sarcastic comments or trolling from now on, eh?

Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭YoureSoVain

Its not free for all permit holders, just for those with a modified car

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Sheebs

Its not free for all permit holders, just for those with a modified car

I worked as a Toll Operator with Southlink. You have to get a disability exemption form from an operator, send off all your details, picture etc. and then they send you a special card which you can use for all toll bridges in the country to get through for free.

I've seen some people with these cards who definitely did not have a modified car and shouldn't have had the card, but once I'm shown a card I'd let them through right away. I wasn't going to start questioning someones disabilities! So if you have a minor disability it would be no harm to get get the form, send it off and see what happens. No harm done if they say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

From http://www.nra.ie/GeneralTollingInformation/DisabledDriversandTolls/

Disabled Drivers and Tolls Specially adapted vehicles driven by disabled persons are exempt from tolls on each toll road in the state. Toll road operators currently issue special passes to facilitate such exempt passage. Passes issued by any one operator will be accepted by all other toll road operators.
    For further information and to apply for a pass please contact your nearest toll road operator. A list of toll road operators and their contact numbers are listed below:
    East-Link Toll Bridge Limited,
    Toll Plaza,
    York Road,
    Dublin 4.
    Tel : 01 668 2888
    Fax : 01 688 2562
    North-Link

M1 Toll Operations Ltd,
    Balgeen,
    Co. Meath
    Tel : 041 982 9820
    Fax : 041 982 9826

DirectRoute (Fermoy) Limited,
    Richmond House, Richmond Hill,
    Fermoy, Co. Cork
    Tel: +353 25 51936
    e-mail: info@directroute.ie <mailto:info@directroute.ie>
    website: http://www.directroute.ie/ <http://www.directroute.ie/&gt;
    Dublin Port Tunnel
    Transroute Tunnel Operations Limited
    Dublin Port Tunnel
    East Wall Road
    Dublin 3
    Tel: 1890 252435
    http://www.dublinporttunnel.ie/
    N6 Galway to Ballinasloe
    N6 (Concession) Ltd.,
    Toll Plaza Building, Cappataggle,
    Ballinasloe,
    Co. Galway
    Tel: ++353 91 843 500
    email: info@n6concession.com
    M7/ M8 Portlaoise - Castletown/ Portlaoise - Cullahill
    CRG Portlaoise - M7/ M8 Motorway Site Offices
    Clonkeen
    Portlaoise
    Co. Laois
    Tel: ++353 57 8666334
    www.crg.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Given the amount of things that are not accessable to disabled people and given the amount of idiots that park up on foothpaths making their lives hell I honestly don't have a problem with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Sully wrote: »
    Mod Note

Remember, thin ice. It will break easily and quicker then the ice you were skating on before. So, lets put a firm stop to any sarcastic comments or trolling from now on, eh?

Good man.

Nothing wrong with a bit of trolling on the slow days we could do with a laugh everynow and again...:pac:

Back on topic I don't see why Disabled people should get a free toll pass, like why not the unemployed or unmarried mothers,orphans,pensioners etc.. what is the reasoning behind this idea?

Nothing personal against those people unfortunate to be disabled but why just the disabled I'm wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'm going to tell my neighbour about this, he has a modified car and badge and has to be in Whitfield 5 times a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Must agree with funfair in this one. What is the reason behind it? Don't get me wrong. I don't see any problem with it at all just can't see any reason as to why a disabled person should not have to pay and an able bodied person does have to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

I'm really just guessing here but possibly due to differences in driving style? A person who does not have use of their legs also have to control the braking and throttle with their hands I assume. Adding that they have to steer, indicate etc it's probably a lot trickier and more stressful in a built up environment....? Free toll helps them avoid the cities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Well I suppose in general the disabled are more reliant on cars. Buses/trains aren't as convenient. I think its fair to keep their car costs low.

As for why unemployed/students etc get discounts, that just marketing. People on lower incomes are more price sensitive, so firms like to segregate the market. I think that's a different topic entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

It all makes sense now. Handy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Never knew you could get through the toll with the card until now

Advertisement