Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Quitters never win, and winners never quit." fitness log

Options
  • 24-02-2011 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi there,

So I have decided to start up a fitness log! I tried logging what I ate on fitday.com but I think I am going to give this a go aswel.

So I am:
    Female, 5ft 5, in my 20's, 10stone 11pounds.
    I want to be 9stone.
    I joined the gym recently and I was told that I am made up of more muscle than fat but there is defo some room for improvement!

Please please please- give me some constructive advice about my log!

Thanks in advance..

So here we go:
    Monday
    Kellogs cornflakes
    apple
    pumpkin seeds
    grapes
    3chocolate rice cakes
    one slice of wholemeal brown bread with jam
    chicken curry and rice
    cereal

Tuesday
    Porridge
    kiwi
    brown scone
    handful of grapes
    handful of nuts
    apple
    chilli chicken, pasta, naan bread
    cereal

Wednesday
    kellogs cornflakes
    grapes
    nuts
    brown scone
    salmon, veg, pasta
    protein shake
    bowl of fruit chopped up and yoghurt

Thursday
    2slices of wholemeal brown bread and jam
    pear
    chicken, mozerrala and pesto pannini
    small bag of jelly sweets
    salmon, veg and pasta.
    protein shake

Monday- Thursday
    Gym for one hour
    20mins bike
    20mins cross trainer
    20mins weights

10min warm up and cool down

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Great to see another lady logging!

Looks like your diet could do with a bit of tweaking. It appears that most of your meals are centred around carbohydrates; maybe try getting more meats,fish,eggs in your diet along with lots and lots of veg.

Also, what's the reasoning behind the protein shake..is it for handiness sake? I'm just all about the eating..would rather eat my calories than drink them:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭happyfeet2010

I only really eat fish, chicken and nuts as a source of protein. In order to lose weight I was advised to eat more protein- so that is why I take a protein shake!

I usually take it after going to the gym. Although I see some people take it morning, mid-day and after exercise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭lauren12

K happy feet...I will start loggin on the monday. I must get myself a smaller plate too, I heard that is brilliant for portion control. And also sitting down and eating, enjoying your meal, not kind of eating fast.

And soup I heard is fantastic, for some reason if we drank water with say a meal of potatoes, carrots and chicken it wouldn't keep us as full for as long if we put the lot into blender and turned it into soup, think it has something to do with expanding our stomachs and our stomachs shrinking slower when food is turned to liquid form... can't remember the particulars it was some bbc documentary I was watching.

And gym freak...would you recommend substituting a lot of carbs for proteins but keeping the same calorie intake?

I only really eat fish, chicken and nuts as a source of protein. In order to lose weight I was advised to eat more protein- so that is why I take a protein shake!

I usually take it after going to the gym. Although I see some people take it morning, mid-day and after exercise!
    Well, I wouldn't bother about what other people do, people read things off the internet and think that they are an expert. With regards to protein drinks, yep I take them sometimes for handiness sake. But in fairness, I'd much rather eat a tuna salad(similar calories, same protein content) than have a protein drink..just my preference.

And gym freak...would you recommend substituting a lot of carbs for proteins but keeping the same calorie intake?

Yep..well first what you need to do is to go to the nutrition stickies on the main 'health and fitness' page and scroll through the thread until you find the post about calorie intake. Work out what your calorie intake is first and then, yes I would say to cut down on carbs and up your protein. I get most of my carbs from vegetables..although I do like the odd slice or two of bread:)

Yep..well first what you need to do is to go to the nutrition stickies on the main 'health and fitness' page and scroll through the thread until you find the post about calorie intake. Work out what your calorie intake is first and then, yes I would say to cut down on carbs and up your protein. I get most of my carbs from vegetables..although I do like the odd slice or two of bread:)[/QUOTE]

Ok cool, me too except if I'm having a stirfry i'd have noodles with it, and my cereal I have All-Bran every morning, it's really my only intake of hard fibre all day and I know that's important. Oh I can't wait to drop this weight. :P

• Advertisement

lauren12 wrote: »
    Ok cool, me too except if I'm having a stirfry i'd have noodles with it, and my cereal I have All-Bran every morning, it's really my only intake of hard fibre all day and I know that's important. Oh I can't wait to drop this weight. :P

I'm not too sure what you mean by 'hard fibre'?? Both fruit and vegetables are healthy sources of fibre and they adequately serve my needs. If you check out fitday.com and log the foods you eat you'll quickly see whether your meeting your nutrition needs, often people think that they are eating a fairly 'low carb' diet but when they actually sit down and look at the facts they soon realise it may be a bit different.

I suppose diet is one of those things that you have to play around with until you find what is working for you..I'm still trying to find a way to get rid of my sugar cravings....unsuccessfully:D

gymfreak wrote: »
    I'm not too sure what you mean by 'hard fibre'?? Both fruit and vegetables are healthy sources of fibre and they adequately serve my needs. If you check out fitday.com and log the foods you eat you'll quickly see whether your meeting your nutrition needs, often people think that they are eating a fairly 'low carb' diet but when they actually sit down and look at the facts they soon realise it may be a bit different.

I suppose diet is one of those things that you have to play around with until you find what is working for you..I'm still trying to find a way to get rid of my sugar cravings....unsuccessfully:D

Oh sorry I don't know why I always say "hard fibre" I mean insoluble fibre. Ya i will look at d carbs more. I'm not into gimmics or diet pills or any of that crack. i think motivation is all I need really, and maybe a swift kick up the bum. :p

Well, I'm back again after the weekend. I'm afraid to say that I indulged WAY too much with the sweet stuff over the weekend.

Anyway, today is the start of a new week. So here goes:

Monday
    Cereal
    chicken, mozzeralla and pesto panini
    brown scone
    yoghurt
    handful of pistachio nuts
    apple
    Whey protein shake after gym
    2pieces of salmon, veg and small bit of pasta (really trying more protein/veg less carbs!)
    fruit salad and yoghurt
    chocolate rice cakes*6..

5min warm up
    20 mins tread mill.
    20mins weights.
    5min cool down

House work- 30mins at least!!

Monday
    Brekkie - Bowl of All Bran
    Lunch - Tuna & Sweetcorn Salad
    Dinner - Bowl of All Bran
    Snacks - LF Yogurt
    Exercise - 10K walk
    (I know my dinner looks odd there, but I was so sick I just couldn't cook)

Tuesday
    Lunch - Ham & Egg Salad
    Dinner - Chicken Stirfry with quarter serving of noodles
    Snacks - LF Yogurt, Portion of Brazil Nuts, Apple
    Exercise - 10K walk

Wednesday
    Lunch - Tuna and Bean Salad
    Dinner - Chicken Stirfry
    Snacks - LF Yogurt, Banana, Portion of Brazil Nuts, Apple
    Exercise - 10K walk

Tuesday
    Toast *2
    Snack a Jacks
    Cheese sandwhich
    apple
    brown scone
    ryvita and hommus *2
    brown bread *2
    chicken casserole and pasta
    2slices of bread

Exercise:
    Circuits

Wednesday
    Toast *2
    Rice cakes *6
    cheese sandwhich
    ryvita and hommus *6
    apple
    kiwi
    2 pieces of salmon, veg, pasta tortellina parcels with spinach
    bedtime snack-

Exercise:
    Fitness class- 1hour- jogging, jumping jacks, boxing, etc (high energy)
    Swimming- 1hour

Gymfreak- I know you said to eat less carbs/more protein. I can see that I really am eating a lot of bread. What would you suggest as alternatives? I don't eat tuna. I hate the smell of it. :p

• Advertisement

Thursday
    Lunch - Tuna and Bean Salad
    Dinner - Chicken Stirfry
    Snacks - LF Yogurt, Weight Watchers Choc Caramel Bar, Apple
    Exercise - 10K walk

Gymfreak- I know you said to eat less carbs/more protein. I can see that I really am eating a lot of bread. What would you suggest as alternatives? I don't eat tuna. I hate the smell of it. tongue.gif

Hey, you really seem to be eating a lot of carbs (bread, pasta, scone).
    Just a few ideas for you to throw around
    Breakfast-vegetable omlette/ scrambled eggs/ fruit and yoghurt(personally I could never stomach this option in the morning)/ porridge

Lunch
    Meditterean veg and meat
    Chicken salad (some really nice combos here..chicken, peppers, red onion, sweetcorn ??)
    Vegetetable soup

Dinner
    I would generally skip the potatoes/ pasta/ rice options and go for veg and meat..I normally make a stirfry of meat, courgettes, aubergines, peppers, onions, mushroom, tomatoes..this takes a good bit of experimentation to find out what suits you..really fills you up, I'm known for my appetite and I would be hard pressed to eat noodles/rice or anything along with a mountain of veg+meat

Snacks
    Fruit
    Sunflower/ pumpkin Seeds (quite calorific)
    Oatcakes
    Yoghurt

Hope that helps:)

Thank you gymfreak for the info.
    brekkie and lunch are kinda hard to get right. I just find that when I get up in the morning I'm rushing and it's easier to eat cereal than preparing any eggs/porridge. The same with lunch as I prepare it in the morning. I don't eat eggs either.

Although veg soup can be very easily made in large quantities, frozen and taken out the night before. Just that work is so busy and trying to get to the microwave is a battle!

You know what, I'm going to try tuna and eggs at some stage during the weekend. I really hate the smell of tuna when anyone else eats it. BUT you never know I might like it if I mix a few other things with it. Also, I got sick from eating eggs when I was a child. So I haven't eaten them since! Have wondered whether they would make me sick now that I am an adult? Hmm.. I eat eggs mixed with other ingrediants.. so.. :confused:

Now that I am doing this log I can really see that my diet is my biggest downfall. I also think I should be lifting weights. I do a bit during circuits but I think I should get 2hours in during the week along with cardio.

Thursday
    Cereal
    2madarin oranges
    cheese sandwhich
    choc rice cakes *6
    chicken panini
    brown scone
    pear

Exercise
    Today was my day of rest! :cool:

I'm a bit worried about the weekend. I will probably be going out and drinking... I pick one (and have about 4 give or take) of the following: vodka and coke, malibu and white or bulmers pear cider. :o

Thank you gymfreak for the info.
    brekkie and lunch are kinda hard to get right. I just find that when I get up in the morning I'm rushing and it's easier to eat cereal than preparing any eggs/porridge. The same with lunch as I prepare it in the morning. I don't eat eggs either.
    Hardly anyone has the time in the morning to prepare/ cook anything. Prepare your lunch the night before and even have your breakfast stuff ready aswell. If I'm having a vegetable omlette I'll have all my veg chopped up the night before so in the morning all i have to do is pop it on while i get ready and my lunch will be waiting for me in the fridge..simple.

I'm a bit worried about the weekend. I will probably be going out and drinking... I pick one (and have about 4 give or take) of the following: vodka and coke, malibu and white or bulmers pear cider. :o
    Might be an idea to opt for bulmers light or else mix your vodka/ mailbu with a diet drink..a typical can of coke has about 140kcal as opposed to diet coke having like 5kcal or so. So if you opt for a diet drink you'l be saving yourself 140kcal x 4=560kcal

Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Foodwise- ate pretty much the same stuff as stated before.
    Exercise- gym for 30mins and swim for about 40mins
    Drinks*4 shorts.. :( ... dancefloor-about 30 minutes :p

I didn't feel like I lost any weight during the week. I didn't weigh myself but clothes still felt the same. :(
    SO...

For next week- I want to try and incorporate more protein into my diet as suggested before on numerous occasions. I gave the tuna a go and it's actually not that bad! I will try and give eggs a go during the week too.

I also want to try and do more weights at the gym.

Monday
    Porridge
    manderin orange
    apple
    salad and tuna!!!:eek:
    yoghurt
    chicken, mozzerala and pesto panini
    whey protein (after gym)
    2pieces of salmon and a "selection of veg" (yum) :)

Delighted that I reduced my carbs today and that I enjoyed it and felt full!

Exercise:
    15mins on bike
    20mins cross trainer
    15mins on machine weights- will hopefully have a proper weights programme soon!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Unfortunatly I'm going to have to close this thread as Fitness Logs are for training diaries and not food logs.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement