Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment termination

Options
  • 24-02-2011 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

A few ago my manager brought me in for a little chat. Little chat ending up being receiving 2 weeks notice, so my employment ceases Friday week. The reason for it being performance issues and a few lates.
    Manager tells me that my probationary period is 6 months, and that because of that he is being generous by giving me 2 weeks notice. Now, I started the job over 3 months ago, and according to my contract, I have a probationary period of 2 months from the start date of my contract(which has ended over a month ago). So, yesterday I went to HR department, and according to them, my 2 month probationary period wasn’t signed off, so it was extended.
    Surely they can’t just say that my probationary period has been extended without my knowledge or consent, because it would be a direct change to the contract they originally gave me.
    Also, in my contract, after the probationary period is over I am entitled to the full Disciplinary Procedure, which I did not receive. In fact, the first I heard of any lateness issues I had was when my 2 week notice was given. Also, any poor performance I have showed in the past had not been documented fully; my team leader took notes of some ears in which I could improve in.
    Also, which is annoying is that certain computer access I need to do my job, has been revoked, and certain files I need to do my job, my access has been removed too.
    Do I have a legal case with regards the breach of contract around the probationary period?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi Cortexiphan, we can't give legal advice here - let alone advice on US employment law, as this is an Irish based website.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cortexiphan

I'm living in ireland.

Sorry, was looking at your location which says Boston, MA.

In our place, there is no formal procedure for completing probation - no meetings, no signing of any documents - so it's pretty much implied that probation is over, unless they specifically say otherwise beforehand.

Again though, you should talk to a lawyer for specific legal advice like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

yes you will have to talk to a solicitor, as Irish employment law only really applies to employees of at least one years standing.:( lots of citizens information centres have free legal advice sessions in their offices typically once a month. go to www.citizensinformation.ie , find the nearest CIC to you and find out if they have a free legal advice night. the solicitor will not act for you but will soon tell you whether he thinks you have a case or not. its free its confidential and its typically first come first served so no appointments necessary. good luck.

I think that's as good information as you'll get.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement