Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Is size important?

• 24-02-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hey all. Considering buying my first camper tomorrow. It's a Chausson Flash on a Ford chassis with a 2.2 ltr engine. No turbo. I'm just wondering if the engine is big enough to drag around myself, my girlfriend, 3 kids and enough gear to last for a two week holiday. I've seen so many campers with 2.5TDi and 2.8 engines, I can't help but be curious as to whether the smaller size will cope with all the weight comfortably. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DVD2009

i have 2.8 jdt ducato and that has loads of power , couldnd see myself going for something smaller if i ever change my van. Make sure u give it a spin 1st and see what happens when you put the foot down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

My transit is a 2L Turbo. She has no bother doing 120Km/h on the autoroute in France with a full fresh water tank, full diesel tank, parents, children and all the kit and caboodle for the three weeks holiday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

their is so much to consider when going for your first van,for me the 2.2 sounds like it might be a wee bit underpowered but if you have looked at the van and feel that is the is the right van for you re layout,condition,price etc you may be able to work around thr engine size

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

Thanks guys. I won't be burning up the roads or anything, but I'd like to feel that there's enough power there to get around in comfort, without worrying about engine strain, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

are you sure it's not turbo? Cos Fiat/Peugeot use the Ford 2.2 in their vans , and it's definitely turbo , and a good little motor . Very good on fuel too .

The 2.8 Ducato engine was replaced with a 2.3 , which actually had slightly more bhp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

Thanks Aidan. I went ahead and bought it, and you were right. It is a turbo, but wasn't listed as one. Delighted with it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

Neonjack wrote: »
    Thanks Aidan. I went ahead and bought it, and you were right. It is a turbo, but wasn't listed as one. Delighted with it. :)

good man
    safe travels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Neonjack wrote: »

happy camping, enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

good stuff,hope it goes well for you.

Advertisement