Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Economics Exam Question*

• 24-02-2011 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Doing Economics outside of school and was just looking through exam papers and I was just wondering if I did the following topics would I be covered to do the long questions
    Supply + Demand
    Elasticity
    Factors of production
    Market Structures
    The Government and Economy
    National Income

Thanks for replies!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

plus one for this..... Anything to reduce the amount of learning.

But my teacher said that if you learn all macro you are covered for the longs......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Well I agree totally! :D.. By looking through the exam papers they've appeared every year between 4-6 long questions!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

That said, remember one golden rule: NEVER (and I mean never) do 4 macro long qs!

....... Why? (not been narky i actually want to know)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

We could always do 1. Market Structure 2. Factor of production(or supply and demand) 3. National Income and finally 4. The Government and Economy Question.. Any teachers have any idea what market structure might come up on the actual exam?.. Any economics help/news/tips are welcome!! Also what way do ye all study for Economics? Exam papers of what?

• Advertisement

We could always do 1. Market Structure 2. Factor of production(or supply and demand) 3. National Income and finally 4. The Government and Economy Question.. Any teachers have any idea what market structure might come up on the actual exam?.. Any economics help/news/tips are welcome!! Also what way do ye all study for Economics? Exam papers of what?

Its suppose to be oligopoly........ it was the favorite for last year but they through a mix of them all last year........... so oligopoly is fav but imperfect comp has a chance but tbh i would say learn them all ..... you never know what they could do! lol

also i think international trade is also up every year! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

The general feeling of avoiding macro-economics for long questions is a rather smart idea!

Macro, at leaving cert level is seen as the 'bluffers' choice of question, students who attempt the most or all of the micro questions generally score significantly higher marks as the questions are very specific in the answers required but once it's learned it's the easiest way of achieving a high result.

Macro questions are horribly broad & often undertaken because of the variety of possibilities that can answer any question, these are the typical D/C grade student's. No student who ever really aims high attempts four long macro questions as even the best knowledge of the area may only result in a low grade.

The history of economic thought also cannot be overlooked it's becoming more popular as a part (C) of a long question & a whole short question in recent years as students really just aren't bothered learning it!

This year has two strong predictions for the long questions:

Oligopoly: As market structure,has been absent for many years,can be topical in relation to banks & would be a relatively nice question for students.

Capital: Labour dominated previous past exams & capital is the only other option really with enough material to be a stand alone long question, also very topical.

Studying for economics can be misleading ,often reading revision books & notes is very helpfull for exams,but with economics the structure of questions throws people & although the material might be known a mental block can arise.So it may be wise to study through the exam papers!

Any other questions just leave a reply !

Advertisement