Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constuction Studies Project Help!

Options
  • 24-02-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hello,

First off, my teacher and I, don't get on very well. Therefore am quite reluctant to go to him for extra help.

I have been concentrating on my DCG project up untill now, but now I think I should put the time into my Construction Studies Project, when the momentum is there.

I have some ideas about what sort of project I would like to do. Since I am on my mid-term, now I said I'd concentrate on getting some of my portfolio out of the way. I am quite fustrated with the lack of information on the internet about what it needs to contain. Thus far, I have a checklist with one line of information on each topic. It is extremely general (like Introduction, Aims, Time Management, Experiments).

Is there any teachers or past students that could help me in this. Even some notes on what the port folio has to contain would be extremely helpful. I am doing Higher Level. I also recieved an A in MTW for my JC, so I don't think the actual skill element will let me down, rather just the structure (or lack thereof) in the portfolio.

Thanks,
    ~mc_teo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Wow you are starting your project very very late!

Are you looking to do a heritage project or a manufacturing project?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mc_teo

A combination of the two actually.

Sort of a comparison between a tatched roofing style and a modern roofing style. It gives some good experiments I figure, with Science being my strong point.

PM sent

Thanks.

I don't seem to have gotten it yet?

Edit: Got it there now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

You do know your teacher grades your project?

• Advertisement

What!? That can't be right!?

How is that fair? If he doesn't like me, he won't give me good marks no matter how well the project is done.

That sucks, another negative mark for the education system in this country :mad:

the year i was an invigilator i saw a man from county mayo travel all the way down to limerick just to mark 40 projects in my school and then a couple of other schools after. your teacher doesnt mark it dont worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

THFC wrote: »
    You do know your teacher grades your project?
    No they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Cathald04

Em lads sorry but your teacher does mark them. The examiner guy just monitors the teachers marking.

Cathald04 wrote: »
    Em lads sorry but your teacher does mark them. The examiner guy just monitors the teachers marking.
    Are you sure? I don't do construction studies but I do Engineering and from what i've heard everything's marked by an external examiner. I would have thought it was the same for all subjects with a coursework aspect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Cathald04

Are you sure? I don't do construction studies but I do Engineering and from what i've heard everything's marked by an external examiner. I would have thought it was the same for all subjects with a coursework aspect.

Yeah my aul man does it every june for his class of construction. You cant really take sides because it is looked over.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

The idea behind your teacher grading your project is they know how much effort you put in to it.

heffo500 wrote: »
    The idea behind your teacher grading your project is they know how much effort you put in to it.
    Is that the same for other subjects like Engineering and Technology, do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

I know for a 100% fact that my techer in school all them years ago (ha ha) graded my Construction Project. I made a Coffee table, and I knew before I did my written exam that I had received full marks for it.

I got an A in Construction in the end for everything but it was always my interest.

My teacher insists you cannot get good marks making furniture.

He says the heritage one would be difficult getting good marks in.

That leaves making models, which i think everyone is doing.

How are your teachers on these topics?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

My teacher says that there's no point of making furniture as a project, as you dont learn any theory by doing the project and its a waste of wood...I actually agree with him :)
    Im making open plan stairs what are other people making as their project???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Our teacher explained the marking thingy to us in our class before the mid term :)

He said that he marks them, then that guy will come and agree with his marking, or disagree, in which case he may add or subtract upto 8 marks from the teacher's original rating. Hope that's true. :P

Our teacher explained the marking thingy to us in our class before the mid term :)

He said that he marks them, then that guy will come and agree with his marking, or disagree, in which case he may add or subtract upto 8 marks from the teacher's original rating. Hope that's true. :P
    Does anyone know if that's true for all practical subjects or just construction studies?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

I dont think thats true...i was told that only examiner marks the projects not the teachers, but anyways if u put your work in to your project it doesnt matter who marks them, you would still get a good grade for a project atleast thats what i think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

mc_teo wrote: »
    My teacher insists you cannot get good marks making furniture.

He says the heritage one would be difficult getting good marks in.

That leaves making models, which i think everyone is doing.

How are your teachers on these topics?

I made a coffee table and I got 150 marks from 150 for my folder and table combined.

• Advertisement

I know Quality wins out over Quantity, but about how long was your folders?

and can you give any insight about what it has to contain?

we use the orange and blue "Construction Studies Today" book by Trevor Hickey, which doesn't have a single thing about the content of the folder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 techieteacher

If you turn to page 7 of the syllabus you'll find the requirements for the 3 types of project. Nearly every year the chief examiners report makes reference to the serious amount of coffee tables and whatnot being produced. Yes, they are being given good marks (that's a different debate), but it's not encouraged from a department point of view. Back in the day I chose to do the heritage project - made a cross section of a window and did my portfolio on a brief history of windows in ireland - you'd be surprised what you can learn just by making a couple of visits to joinery shops etc.

Anyway take a read through that syllabus and see what you find out!

http://www.curriculumonline.ie/uploadedfiles/PDF/lc_const.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Only one person in the two classes in my school is making furniture. Everyone else is doing a model.

Our teacher said that he marks the projects and an examiner will only check that he didn't give way too many marks. He said that who ever gives the most effort will get the most marks. He has been hinting that I will get top marks. Im making a working light house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Lads im making a rabbit hutch as my project, ive read on here people saying about different topics that there making there projects on. Our construction teacher told us we could make us whatever we wanted :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Lads im making a rabbit hutch as my project, ive read on here people saying about different topics that there making there projects on. Our construction teacher told us we could make us whatever we wanted :confused:

You can make it on whatever you want, kind of. Your project is focusing on the Skill level for woodwork. So your project is not actually focused on the construction studies course but you will have to find ways to include it in your report.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Trev64

"I am quite fustrated with the lack of information on the internet about what it needs to contain."

Hey mc_teo, if you go to my website www.constructionstudies.ie you'll find a handout on how to write up a model/research type project.

Go to the second level page - it's hanodout 6.
    All the best,
    Trevor

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

mc_teo wrote: »
    What!? That can't be right!?

How is that fair? If he doesn't like me, he won't give me good marks no matter how well the project is done.

That sucks, another negative mark for the education system in this country :mad:
    Cathald04 wrote: »

The teacher only marks your project incase something happens to it eg it gets stolen. Then the examiner uses the teachers mark. Otherwise the examiner marks it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some people here don't understand what is involved in the monitoring. It's not just having a look, but hey, let's not let that get in the way of having a dig at education and teachers.

Advertisement