Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue dogs in Cork

• 24-02-2011 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey there everyone, I'm new to boards.ie!

I'm looking for a new dog/puppy in Cork City and I was just wondering where is the best place to rescue one from?

I've heard bad things about the CSPCA out in Mahon...but that could be hear-say. If anyone has any incite I'd really appreciate it!

Also, without sounding pet desperate, where could you get one on the same day you find the dog/pup for you?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

http://dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/

they are based in Doneraile, just outside Mallow.

they have lots of pups ready for rehoming at the mo. Have taken a dog from them before, about 3 yrs now actually, and could not praise them enough. I used to volounteer with them also and they are so good with the dogs its unreal.

Would defo give them a shout.

Well done for considering the rehoming option :D

OwlFlock wrote: »
    Also, without sounding pet desperate, where could you get one on the same day you find the dog/pup for you?!

generally a home check would be performed prior to taking a dog ..it is so they can ensure the person is suitble to rehome the dog and the dog will not end up in a shelter 6 months later.

Dont rush into getting the dog, please think long and hard first before this so you can ensure you have the time and finance for a dog.

Sorry for this second post, I had not seen your last sentance on your post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 OwlFlock

generally a home check would be performed prior to taking a dog ..it is so they can ensure the person is suitble to rehome the dog and the dog will not end up in a shelter 6 months later.

Dont rush into getting the dog, please think long and hard first before this so you can ensure you have the time and finance for a dog.

Sorry for this second post, I had not seen your last sentance on your post

See, while I understand the "home check" and it's importance, it's not something I'm comfortable with. I know that sounds odd but I'm just weird about having people in my home.

I've something I've thought long and hard about and I don't look at it as a present for me or my partner but as a gift of a new life for the dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Hey there everyone, I'm new to boards.ie!

I'm looking for a new dog/puppy in Cork City and I was just wondering where is the best place to rescue one from?

I've heard bad things about the CSPCA out in Mahon...but that could be hear-say. If anyone has any incite I'd really appreciate it!

Some feedback of CSPCA:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70818171
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1506641

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I'm currently fostering a pup for Dusty and Trouble's second chance rescue in Cork. Most of the dogs in DAWG, the West Cork Animal Care Society and Dusty and Trouble's are listed here: http://www.irishanimals.ie/corkkerry_homes.html
    All of the rescues above do homechecks, which seems daunting but it really isn't. They'll also neuter and vaccinate all dogs before rehoming them, and I think a few of them are microchipping the dogs as well now.

Is there a specific breed type you're looking for, big or small, active or lazy?

• Advertisement

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=677556261#!/pages/Glansillagh-Animal-Rescue-Centre/131670585247

This crowd are based in Glanmire. Might be worth a shout also. Best of luck with your search :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 OwlFlock

I work during the day but my partner is at home so we're not too fused! We have plenty of space but don't want anything too large. We're not limiting our selves! We're waiting for the moment when we see *the one* that we feel that special connection with and rescue :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MsMaryMc

my friend got her Dog from DAWG and was also full of praise. I have seen the CSPCA's facebooka nd its not too pretty a lot of negative comments. There was a really nice Lady running it but she is gone as far as i know. I brought a stray cat in there recently and i must say they were nice but when i rang to check up they were quite short and curt with me. Maybe they are understaffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

You could contact the Cork Animal Care Society

Albert and his team do some amazing work. They strive to never put an animal down unless absolutely needed - which is a great thing to support.

Regarding the CSPCA, there are some huge questions about the place. The organisation themselves I would not support. But think about the animals in there - they are badly in need of homes, so if you can get one of then out there you are doing a good deed.

www.animalcaresociety.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ciarak7511

http://dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/

they are based in Doneraile, just outside Mallow.

they have lots of pups ready for rehoming at the mo. Have taken a dog from them before, about 3 yrs now actually, and could not praise them enough. I used to volounteer with them also and they are so good with the dogs its unreal.

Would defo give them a shout.

Well done for considering the rehoming option :D

If you do a quick search on the net you should find some shelters, also they are up on sites like buyandsell and irishdogs.ie. Im not sure any of them will elt you take home an animal on the same day as it is their responisibility to make sure all the animals go to a good home, I worked in the dspca and they were very careful about adoption procedures, its not personal its just how they operate, they have to make sure people are legitimate!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Farmtrader

Check out Buy and Sell's new rescue dog section there must be over 200 rescue dogs listed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Farmtrader wrote: »
    Check out Buy and Sell's new rescue dog section there must be over 200 rescue dogs listed there.

Or go to www.irishanimals.ie, they don't support puppy farmers at all:D

My own opinion obviously, but I have huge problems with buy and sell's new policy, when they allow dogs to be sold on their pages, it seems like a salve to their consciences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Farmtrader

ISDW wrote: »
    Or go to www.irishanimals.ie, they don't support puppy farmers at all:D

My own opinion obviously, but I have huge problems with buy and sell's new policy, when they allow dogs to be sold on their pages, it seems like a salve to their consciences.

Maybe so, but there are alot of rescue dogs listed there, and I assume the rescue centres are getting a response possibly from people who went to BuyandSell.ie to purchase a dog, it has to be seen as a positive move and can only help to re-home more dogs. I think it is vital that everyone involved works together to improve the abandoned dog situation and any positive policy changes made by businesses should be recognised.
    I grew up on a farm and there are huge issues in rural Ireland with unneutered dogs. There are a number of elements involved here, I don't have all the answers but cooperation between all the stakeholders is vital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Farmtrader wrote: »
    Maybe so, but there are alot of rescue dogs listed there, and I assume the rescue centres are getting a response possibly from people who went to BuyandSell.ie to purchase a dog, it has to be seen as a positive move and can only help to re-home more dogs. I think it is vital that everyone involved works together to improve the abandoned dog situation and any positive policy changes made by businesses should be recognised.
    I grew up on a farm and there are huge issues in rural Ireland with unneutered dogs. There are a number of elements involved here, I don't have all the answers but cooperation between all the stakeholders is vital.

I just find it fascinating that lots of people with few or no posts on different fora in Ireland post about this scheme. I've just got a suspicious mind I guess:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

See, while I understand the "home check" and it's importance, it's not something I'm comfortable with. I know that sounds odd but I'm just weird about having people in my home.

I've something I've thought long and hard about and I don't look at it as a present for me or my partner but as a gift of a new life for the dog!

Go to the pound then, you'd have to get the dog health checked, neutered, vaccinated and all yourself, but you don't have to pay a big rehoming fee, so it might work out a little more expensive, but no homecheck :)

Though homechecks really aren't that bad, they just take a look around and make sure you have a secure garden and that kinda thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Wrighty82

Well most of the charities I've checked with before have a standard donation charge, which I think is fair as €50 or so is not so much when you account that in the meantime a shelter is to look after, feed and often pay for medical charges while caring for the dogs

Any of the groups here probably do that:
    http://www.buyandsell.ie/categories/rescue-dogs

Advertisement