Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonsils out-young child

Options
  • 24-02-2011 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

It's looking possible that our little guy might have to have his tonsils out. I hate the idea of him being 'put under', the whole thing upsets me so much, especially if he tries to fight it. He also totally freaks out at anyone he does'nt know invading his space, a trip to the shoe shop with someone measuring his feet is a MAJOR ordeal! so medical staff will probably be an issue on top of it all.

Has anyone else had their young child (4ish) put through this operation? Please could you let me know if it is straightforward and quick enough and how you coped seeing them being put under. I don't know if I can just let his Daddy do this bit, or if I should be there too.

Also, how was it afterwards, recovery etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ktod

Greystoner, hi, and poor little guy, such a painful thing (I had mine out when I was 12).

My experience is not really the same, but wanted to offer you some solace.

As for the tonsils, our son had them out when he was 8. Very quick recovery time (within a couple of days), and lots of ice-cream and dvds!

However, the same boy was first put under when he was 2 as he had a really bad fall onto his face and broke off half of one of his front teeth. Similar to your son, he was very protective of personal space and did acutally try to fight them off when they were putting the mask over his face. It was all fine in the end.

Saying that, they are so good on childrens wards, everything is so lovely and bright and clean and colourful. And they'll more than likely explain to him that they are going to make him feel much better, and show him the mask first, and tell him how brave and what a big boy he is - they're so used to it. I'd be there with him if you could, you are taking away something that really hurts and he'll be much healthier afterwards - no more sore throats or endless sniffles.

Few final things - our son got a 'prize' for being such a great boy. He also had blankie and bear and favourite pyjamas. Oh, and if your son sucks his thumb, get them to put any needles (if they need to, may not) into the other hand. We didn't, and I still kick myself about it to this day.

Good luck to you and the little fella, it's all good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

My lad had his tonsils, adenoids and grommits done when he was 4. it was the best thing that ever happened to him:D Looking back, he had suffered desperately with constant throat infections over the years...I distinctly remember about 6 months after the op, when I went looking for calpol or nurofen and was shocked to find I had none, having had presses full of the stuff for the previous four years!!!!

He had his done in temple st - the preparation was great - we were brought into for a day, a week or two before the op. We both dressed in gowns and masks, saw the wards, the operating theatre etc...it really prepared him for what would happen.

I will say that even though I thought I was prepared, there is a moment just as they 'go under' when the body 'shakes' for about 5 seconds... that no one had told me about. I got an incredible shock so just be prepared for that....also, he was just supposed to be getting his tonsils out that day, but they discovered he needed grommits and adenoids done also.

My lads recovery was like a miracle..he literally like a different child within days after the op - his hearing was improved and he was rarely (and still is rarely) sick after it.....

There were some kids in the ward who were quite ill (vomiting) when they woke from the anaesthetic..but my lad was fine and eating icecream within an hour:D He was discharged the following day and apart from the fact that i had to keep him indoors for 10 days (in case of infection), he was like a new person after the op.

It will be fine OP, honestly;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

When my lady was 3 she was put under and it was a nightmare, she fought with them and would not let them put the mask on her, she kept calling for me 'Mommy help me mommy help me' i was there when she woke up and she seemed to forget her ordeal. I cried for the whole time she was out (approx 30 mins) anyone would think she was in for open heart surgery (it was only to get 8 teeth removed) she has been put out since (age 8 to fix a broken nose).

She is 11 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

op i understand your fear for him, i felt that when our lad 7 was getting his bit,s out last oct'. i was thinking i cant hand him over to the nurses to put him out ,what if some thing go wrong when im not there,what if,what if ..........but do you know what nothing went wrong , his dad was right beside him when they done the mask, he was there again when he woke. what stod to him is that his dad had his out 6 weeks before so he saw the nurse do the bloods and weigh,n and the silly looking gowen and socks they have to wear to walk to the theature. it all depends of what hospital you be with. they might bring your little man around to see the room etc. my lad had the very same room as his dad had when he had his out. my lad did swallow some blood so he was sick a few times which was good cos if the blood stay in belly he would have to stay another night, its different for eveyone op , but you or dad wil be with him the mask go on his face, it dont take long for him to go under as in drift of to sleep a few seconds ,no more than a minute. the nurses are well used to little kids getting tonsils out ,the surgon was so nice to him, he chated to him about airplanes and trains cos that what my lad loves. now he is so different in his speach, its more squeeky now rarther than gruff sound. looking back im wondering what the hell was i worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

all of mine 3 kiddies had theirs out . i actuallt had 2 get them done together . one was 2 the other 2 were 5 and had absolutly no problems with the op. the 5 year old did refuse to drink how ever and this is really important as the scar needs to be kept wet to heal. she ate yes ate no prob even crisps as crisps have salt so this helps to heal but refused point blank to drink, my husband went off to mcdonalds one evening and came back with a drink in the carton and she drank it as it was from mc ds so we were flying , they had no post op problems at all so dont worry, the best thing ever as they were plagued with infections have never regreted it .

• Advertisement
Advertisement