Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

apartment dogs

• 24-02-2011 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

looking for some advice on possibly getting a dog while living in an apartment of around 1100 sq feet open plan. We dont have access to a yard but there is a park right beside us. Myself and my other half work different hours and not too far from home, so lunchtime walks aren't off the agenda, but there will be about 4 hours each day the dog may be alone in the house.

Firstly.. is it doable?
    secondly what sort of dog do you suggest
    thirdly what sort of dog is this http://i.imgur.com/6kRVl.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Quick

He looks like a springer spaniel, if that's the case don't get one of those. The are very energetic. In relation to what type of dog, depends on how much exercise you are able to provide the dog with.

I would say it's possible to have a dog in the apt, but depends how you will be toilet training the dog. Bringing it outside all the time or training it to use a litter tray.

Are you allowed have pets in your apt complex?

Whatever you do, don't say you are going to pay for a dog in this forum, you will be crucified on the spot!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Its a brittany spaniel, again a very energetic breed. Best thing to do is find out first if you're allowed animals in the apartment. If you are, then it sounds doable to me.

brittany.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Would agree with the others that the dog in the photo is a spaniel and suited to very active families.
    I think one of the biggest fallacies is that you cant have a dog in an apartment, for the most part a garden is simply a dogs toilet, they don't exercise themselves in a garden and need to be taken for walks outside the house anyway. So the main question will be how dedicated you're going to be in the crappy weather to bring a dig out to the park for a pee.
    IMO any dog can be a good apartment dog with proper exercise but good chilled out breeds would be greyhound/lurchers, shih tzus, bichons, or maybe adopt an older dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

bonkers wrote: »
    Firstly.. is it doable?
    Yes...but
    wrote:
    secondly what sort of dog do you suggest

my first choice would be a Greyhound. Before you freak out :D they are amazing dogs and whatever opinion you have of them, think the complete opposite. They are quiet, gentle dogs that hardly ever bark. They are "sprinters" and require short bursts of high energy exercise twice daily i.e a 20 mins at lunch,20 mins in the eve. For the height of them, they occupy the most tiny of spaces (ideal).Beautiful dogs and if i had the time i would have one in a heartbeat ( i live in an apartment).
    wrote:
    thirdly what sort of dog is this http://i.imgur.com/6kRVl.jpg
    Second the Brittany Spaniel, although im leaning towards a spaniel mix. Definitely not an apt type dogs...well not if you want your neighbours to like you.

Small does not equal suitable apartment dogs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I'd suggest a dog like a Cavalier or Bichon :) They're lovely dogs and would most likely be happy indoors. I definitely think it's doable since someone will be home most of the time and they'll get lots of walks in the park I'm sure, so why not. :) Also with a Cavalier you get some of the spaniel traits, without having a dog that's overly energetic (but still loves a walk/run around).

I agree that a Greyhound would be good too!

If you want to get a puppy then do, don't mind if anyone tells you not to buy a dog :) A puppy would settle into indoor life cos it'd be all they've ever known, but you'd have to watch them for chewing, especially if you're renting. They might wreck the place. Maybe put them in a large dog crate or shut in a room with nothing chewable while you're out (it's only 4 hours, they'd be fine). And they also wouldn't really be able to be left in carpetted rooms til they're house trained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi

I have two dogs. from my experience a puppy cannot be left alone. a puppy will chew and pee on everything, my first dog as a pup ate: my shoes, my stairs, my couch, my cushions...i could go on and on. i recommend a rescue. i got a 3 yr old female, lead trained, house trained, neutered. she is fab on recall and is short haired:) a big plus for this country. there are numberous dogs being rehomed at the moment and numerous great people doing work in this area, as lots of dogs are ending up in the pounds. you will be surprised at the gorg dogs that are looking for homes. take a look at www.dogsindistress.ie, www.irishanimals.ie and you will get an idea. i would recommend a cross as most of the breeds have a lot of health problems and also some have behavioural problems. Cavaliers have hip, eye and heart problems. I had a pure bred cocker and i had to rehome him to the countryside as he was extremely high energy and i would walk him for 2 hours and he was still wired. it was not fair on him so he now lives in the country with teenagers who play football with him. spaniels are bred to work. think about what the dog is bred for when you are thinking of a breed. Best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 squa79

I'm living in an apartment and have my little dog nearly two years now..i have never had any problems with him.. I have a good size balcony with a kennel on it .. which he does not use.. the couch is far too comfy...
    He gets a 30 min walk in the morning.. regardless of the weather.. out at lunch time for wee break ( as I work very close to home..) and then normally and hour and a half of maddess down the local park..then back out again before bed..!! He is a very happy little dog..once his duvet ...(i know spoilt) is on the couch when me or the oh half is leaving he just sleeps the day away.. I got my little lad in ashton pound he was about year old when we got him... and I would not be without him...
    With the lack of a garden tho all your plans do have to be around the dog..I can't just go head for beers straight after work anymore I have to consider if there is some one home to let him out .. not fair on him otherwise.. like wise to nights out.. I have it lucky tho that my mam or my mates are always willing to take him for the night for me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

OP, I was in pretty much the same living situation as you when I got my pup. I lived 15 minutes away from my job so my dog was only on his own from around 8.45 to 12.45 and then 2.15 to 5.30. I never had any problems with chewing or damage and I've never had any behavioural problems with my dog. When I first got the dog my next door neighbour listened out for me just in case the dog was whining or barking when I wasn't there but this was never a problem.

When I first got my pup he would sleep all the time when i was home and i came to the conclusion that when I wasn't there he was probably playing non-stop to entertain himself. Eventually he got used to my routine and would sleep during the time I wasn't there and be ready for playtime when i was there.

I agree with Squa, the first 6-8 months there was little or no nights out for me as I lived on my own so I had to make sure I was home to let him out, walk him, keep up his training and just spend time with him and be his companion as much as he was mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

I agree with Squa, the first 6-8 months there was little or no nights out for me as I lived on my own so I had to make sure I was home to let him out, walk him, keep up his training and just spend time with him and be his companion as much as he was mine.

Thats what most people dont seem to realise and why so many dogs end up in pounds when people realise they cant put in that much time and effort.

OP if u are worried about chewing just get a crate. Works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 squa79

I've been lucky that mine never chewed anything, from the first day I brought him home he has had chewies and kongs to play with when i'm not there these have helped kept him away from the furniture.. the only problem we had was him going to the toliet anywhere he wanted.. but once we both got into our routine it stopped....a crate might be a good idea at the start to help the dog settle..I found mine just wanted some where safe and secure to curl up when I'm not there..we hadn't the room for a crate so a big duvet that he buries himself in did the trick...
    OP i know I was told when I was thinking about getting my dog that alot of the rescues wont rehome to an apartment..I was a bit sneeky and went straight to the pound ... when I got him he had nearly chewed his own tail off through boredom ... and was terrified of men in hoodies.. :( and now he is as mad as a hatter and has a constant happy let cheeky look on his face..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

+1 for the greyhounds.

they are really relaxed - I have an older girl in foster with me at the moment and she is so laid back its unreal. Thankfully she is booked for a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

Hey all. thanks so much for the responses..

One thing i wont be doing is buying a dog,

I'm based here in Toronto and will be getting a dog from here - http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/dogs.htm

Will keep my eye out for a greyhound..

any other breed recommendations would be good too

Advertisement