Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The more I borrow the better???

Options
  • 24-02-2011 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am buying a new car and I will be financing it by trading in old car, savings (10K), loan and selling current car.

I want to take out a personnel variable loan as I can pay it off quicker once I sell my car. I need to borrow about 7000.

But while looking at the repayments and changing the term etc, I noticed the following.

Loan
    term
    APR/AER
    Montly
    12.109%:mad:
    12.109%:mad:

11.395%:o
    11.395%:o

10.559%:eek:
    10.559%:eek:
    325:D

As the interest rate gets better the more you borrow, and I can pay off as much as I want without penalty.

Am I better off borrowing more for the car, not using my 10k savings
    Then pay savings off the loan the next day (10K), following by another lump sum when I sell my car??

All this assumes I can afford the 325 a month as this will not change, only the term will shorten?

Thanks for your feedback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

There might be penalties for early repayment, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Website states

Unscheduled repayments
    Repay your Personal Loan early if your circumstances change or make additional lump sum repayments at any time with no penalty.

And

No set up charges or fees for early repayment of your loan.

So this sould clearly mean I can pay as much as I want to reduce interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

sounds like a plan. its variable rate so no penalties for early payment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

If its UB then if the lump sum payment is over 10k you'll suffer a penalty. They may reduce the payments to keep the term the same also. so make sure its what suits you.

This rule applies to fixed rate loans too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭ForestFire

just think about this more simply and assuming I have no savings...

If you want to borrow 5000...

Borrow 15000 and pay 10K the next dat to get a better rate and still end up with 5000???

Can this be really right?
    The only draw back I see is ending up with bigger monthy repayments as they state this will not change but the term will.

• Advertisement
Advertisement