Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to remove cat pee smell out of car?

• 24-02-2011 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately we lost our cat earlier on this week, he died at the vets due to complications with his FIV and his heart and lungs. Back in November he was poorly and was brought to the emergency UCD place where they diagnosed it as being his lungs, perhaps his heart was under strain at that time as well? Probably not good dwelling on it. Our local vet were very good and had him covered in a towel when we picked him up, it was a touching gesture. He is now enturred in the back garden.

On the way to vets he peed, most of it in his carrier and on my lap. Some of it got onto the car seat and plastic parts of the chair. When we returned home I washed the seat/parts with warm water and dettol and then sprinkled some baking powder.

The car still smells, it is sad as it reminds me of him but it is also seriously whiffy!

Any ideas folks?

:) for getting this far

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am sorry for your loss.

Having had a van full of feral cats in my van I also sympathise with you plea re the smell.

I have been given the following tips:

Half an onion and leave it in the car together with an open pack of baking soda. This is supposed to absorb the smell.

If you can pinpoint the source (impossible in my case as the van was stacked with crates), use surgical spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Sorry for your loss.

I had a cheeky little fecker sneak into my bedroom and pee on my husbands t-shirt. (I'm sure it's because she heard me complaining about it being left on the floor?)

I bought the cheapest "pee off" type product in the pet shop and it worked where washing powder and shaving foam didn't. It was only €6 for a big bottle, so it might be worth your while going to a pet shop and buying something especially for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Terrible losing a pet, my heart goes out to you.

The one big obstacle you are facing with getting the pee smell out of the car is all the seat stuffing that it potentially could have soaked into. Washing the surface will only get rid of the odour that is at the very top of the seat (ie. the fabric cover and some of the stuffing) but it is impossible to get rid of the smell from the seat stuffing without tearing the seat to shreds. Think of it as a big sponge and you are only wiping the surface - what about the rest?! You may have to admit defeat on your own.

It's always worth a try though - always! First port of call is a good enzyme cleaner. Biological washing powder/liquid diluted in warm water, soak the seat pretty well with it, and lots of dry towels to dry it up (put the towels on the wet and stand (or sit) on it over and over until it is no longer coming up wet. If the bio powder/liquid mix does not do the job, try a commercial enzyme cleaner. These can be found in most large pet stores and online. Follow the instructions and do the same thing with the towels to dry. After both of the bio and enzyme methods, use a mild solution of disinfectant (chlorine bleach or surgical spirit diluted - if it's too concentrated it'll leave a stain on the seat) to get rid of anything that could be left. Be sure to let it air dry for a good few hours, if not all day or overnight (if possible of course). You may need to do this more than once.

Bicarb is fantastic for getting rid of smells, on a dry seat rub lots into where the smell is coming from (once you have cleaned it and let it dry) and leave for as long as possible (at least a few hours). Then get the vacuum out and get rid of it. The odour will cling to the bicarb and when you vacuum it up, the smell will hopefully come with it. If the car generally smells like pee and cat etc. give it a good vacuum out (maybe even using the bicarb before hand) to freshen up the place.

If none of these work (cat pee is a bitch to get rid of), getting the car cleaned professionally may be your only option. Valeting services probably won't do the job (although, you could give it a try anyway because it's not to expensive) so you will need to call a fabric/carpet cleaner). Make sure they steam clean the whole seat, tell them the situation and they will pay extra attention to the pee area. It might be pricey to get done though.

Good luck with it!

Advertisement