Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legislation

Options
  • 24-02-2011 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Can anyone point me too definitive legislation about where you can discharge a firearm? Everyone seems to have a different opinion. E.g 30 yards from a road or residential building. What about private enclosed land in the city (pest control)? I'd love to find out for definite

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The minimum standard is 60 feet/20 yards/18 metres from the road, and obviously not aiming back out at the road.

There is no statute/law/SI/Act, nothing in Irish law that i have ever been able to find or can find now. There is mention of it in Northern Ireland and English law, and it has been adopted by shooters here.

As to the built up location. There are no restrictions as to where you can carry or use your firearm legally, but common sense must prevail at all times. If you are in the middle of a city with no backstop and questionable surroundings (safety wise) then you should not take the shot. The only person to judge this is the shooter, and one little mistake will ruin it for everyone so again it must be stressed, if there are people nearby, buildings surrounding you, buildings close by, no backstop, livestock near or surrounding you, etc then NO you should not take the shot.

You should know what you are shooting but also where your bullet will end up if it passes through the animal.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Ezridax wrote: »
    The minimum standard is 60 feet/20 yards/18 metres from the road, and obviously not aiming back out at the road.......

You should know what you are shooting but also where your bullet will end up if it passes through the animal.

I often wondered about that. What sort of energy and how far will the balistic tipped, not FMJ, round go after a through and through.
    A lot of the deer shot this season had small enough exit wounds, except the last one where the exit shoulder/front quarter was gone only a large hole left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sparx001

I thought it was the case, However you get everyone arguing points they heard someone reiterate with no real foundation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

clivej wrote: »
    I often wondered about that. What sort of energy and how far will the balistic tipped, not FMJ, round go after a through and through.
    A lot of the deer shot this season had small enough exit wounds, except the last one where the exit shoulder/front quarter was gone only a large hole left.

From shooting with Poulo, who uses ballistic tips his bullets disentegrate on impact with the target often making a large entrance wound.
    I use pointed soft points which are designed to penetrate the body of an animal and expand which will give you a greater exit wound

Advertisement