Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organic food

Options
  • 25-02-2011 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

hi every does anyone know where i can buy some organic fruit and veg in galway city
    apart from the big supermarkets i find there organic line well kind of ****y, im currently buying my fruit and veg in terryland

thanks

stay high:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Going off topic but always wanted to ask this question.

Why do "crusty types (not meant as an insult)" in Galway go mad for organic food for health reasons but at the same time they smoke, with weed especially carcinogenic?

By the way "organic" veg has no health benefits

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

because people are sheep and will buy into whatever fads are floating around at any given time to suit their mind set.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

haha some people are a bit grumpy today as for been a grusty i don't think so have my own business and hit the gym every day i live a healthy lifestyle dont even drink but just because im looking for some organic food im called a grusty and a sheep what a joke this country can be at times

good luck on voting with fina geal today lol

stay high :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC5vQpBRjCk&playnext=1&list=PL7C44C6A5E2892627

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Ernie's on Sea Road has a small selection of organic veg.

If you're using organic veg on a regular basis you could try a box scheme, Green Earth and Beechlawn farms deliver to the city centre.

orangebud wrote: »
    haha some people are a bit grumpy today as for been a grusty i don't think so have my own business and hit the gym every day i live a healthy lifestyle dont even drink but just because im looking for some organic food im called a grusty and a sheep what a joke this country can be at times

good luck on voting with fina geal today lol

stay high :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC5vQpBRjCk&playnext=1&list=PL7C44C6A5E2892627

Sorry about the crusty thing, didn't know what term to use

your name and stay high sign off suggest you smoke or smoked weed which is obviuosly bad for your health. My question is more on the contradiction between eating organic food for health reasons while also smoking

Again pesticide levels in non-organic food are not a health risk and nutrient levels are the same in both

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

jh79 wrote: »

your name and stay high sign off suggest you smoke or smoked weed which is obviuosly bad for your health. My question is more on the contradiction between eating organic food for health reasons while also smoking

Vaporizers are very popular, so there may be no contradiction what so ever.

Mactard wrote: »
    Vaporizers are very popular, so there may be no contradiction what so ever.

Thats a solution alright but still curious on how people rationalise this obvious contradiction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Aldi have a bit of a range in the veg line, not sure about fruit. I haven't tried them tho, so its not a recommendation as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

Again pesticide levels in non-organic food are not a health risk and nutrient levels are the same in both

Very generic statment which if you read real scientific material such as "The China Study" you will find is incorrect. What level of health risk? So they dont kill you when you eat them - but what are the long term effects? Research takes time and it is slowly proving your statment wrong.

Just like smoking we are led to believe by the manufacturers who look after the governing bodies that all is good.

At the end of the day we where not designed to consume the majority of man made pesticides. Give it time and you will see the effects - as per smoking.

I smoke but I also eat alot of healthy vegetarian food - organic if I can get it, including freshly made juice every morning. I am highly addicted to smoking and I keep trying to give them up. Will succeed some day.

At least I know I am doing bad by smoking but if I ate ****e food sprayed with chemicals - that would be bad also. I am working on the smoking but in the mean time I am working towards a plant based diet which when I crack the awl smoking will result a helthier lifestyle.

Also you should read up on carrot juice and smoking - rather suprising.

One step at a time. May not be in the correct order but still getting closer to the goal!

Read the book I mentioned above and I'd be suprised if it didn't change your ideas on food and your diet.

D

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1109/1224282959644.html

Haven't read that book but from the wiki it seems to show the correlation between diet and health without specific attention towards causes. Its a general healkth book you might see on Oprah, while certainly having good advice doesn't address the issue on why organic food is thought to be better for you

The link above gives a real scientific opinion on the matter , the important thing is concentration not the substance.

Vit C causes cancer at high concs so would you cut this out of you diet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1109/1224282959644.html

Haven't read that book but from the wiki it seems to show the correlation between diet and health without specific attention towards causes. Its a general healkth book you might see on Oprah, while certainly having good advice doesn't address the issue on why organic food is thought to be better for you

The link above gives a real scientific opinion on the matter , the important thing is concentration not the substance.

Vit C causes cancer at high concs so would you cut this out of you diet?

Open to all views. Just explaining my point of my view and why people have tended towards the Organic/ Plant Based Diets/ Veggie etc..

I take onboard the information provided in your article - thanks for the link. I also respect your opinion. I am only begining to educate myself on the topic so appreciate anymore info you may have.

One thing I will bet on is that 5-10 years down the line we will be faced with another situation (like the cigarettes) whereby it is proven that the information/ research in realtion to the food we are currently eating in mass quantities was incorrect and funded by corporate giants. I believe this will include stuff we have been led to believe is good for us such as dairy products and meat.

I hope this post is still online when that day comes around ( and I hope I will have kicked the smoking).

Saying that I am basing it on my knowledge to date and I could be wrong!

Anyways - I recommend you read that book for your own good. 8 euros on Amazon. If you disagree after reading it, I will buy it off you!

Have a good weekend!
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What happened to the fruit and veg discussion? :D

I suggest the shop on Mary Street, across from Home Plate, fairly sure they have organic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Riiight:rolleyes:

Like no one eats chocolate AND brushes their teeth
    Or joins a gym AND drinks a rake of pints and shots at the weekend
    Or cross the road at traffic lights AND go sky diving
    Or EVER do anything contradictory.

Life would be very boring if it were as black and white as you paint it imo. No one seems to give out to people drinking loads of coffee after yoga or whatever. Isn't life about balance? It makes perfect sense that people would try to balance their diet if they could. I deffo try to eat veggies from farms or my mates' gardens if they are available. They ALWAYS taste better than the big chains. And by default they are also always organic. The brightly coloured evenly shaped tomatoes tast like complete sh*te compared to the mishapen full of flavour ones from an organic garden.

The Sat market sometimes has Org Veg stalls OP, and +1 for Ernies

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭einshteen

If you want box delivery from a farm I recommend www.greenearthorganics.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

I don't know what it is with the posters on the Galway board, some of you have the most irritating manner of stating your opinions as fact and being completely unable to engage in discussion but merely implement the eye rolling smilies and guffaw.

Green Earth Organics do a box scheme, 20 euro for a pretty big box. You can pick and mix what you want in it and they deliver to your door. They have a website which you can Google.

Good on you for looking for organic fruit and veg. I believe there are real effects from eating pesticides long term and the fruit and veg for sale in ALL supermarkets is a disgrace. You're getting mutant food which has none of the flavour of the real deal. Also Fianna Fail recently lifted restrictions on GM food so that's what they'll be shoving into the supermarkets.

I think those who scoff at organic food are only kidding themselves. It's not natural to eat chemicals and pesticides and you are actively lead to believe otherwise because whole industries revolve around the lies.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

You actually don't know that, because no one knows that. Most pesticides have not been adequately tested for their impact on human health. This is because such testing is very expensive and validated techniques in testing have not emerged for many of the compounds used.

In any case, organic is getting cheaper, and the taste is definitely different. Don't buy everything organic, but make an effort for things that I eat the skin of like plums or strawberries, things like potatoes, probably not, since there is nothing sprayed on the edible part.

thanks guys for all the replys going to get on to Green Earth Organics they look real promising. I guess my long time goal is to have my own veg garden but that's for a different thread

thanks again

420:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

orangebud wrote: »

420:P

lol!

Organic chocolate in order too I take it?

inisboffin wrote: »

Organic chocolate in order too I take it?

Nah organic smarties

You actually don't know that, because no one knows that. Most pesticides have not been adequately tested for their impact on human health. This is because such testing is very expensive and validated techniques in testing have not emerged for many of the compounds used.

In any case, organic is getting cheaper, and the taste is definitely different. Don't buy everything organic, but make an effort for things that I eat the skin of like plums or strawberries, things like potatoes, probably not, since there is nothing sprayed on the edible part.

Pesticides have been tested for their impact on human health and are regulated by the EU. Risk assesments would have to be done on anything that enters the food chain. Testing is not very expensive and could be done in any IT or university lab. New testing methods are not needed for each pesticide, its the same five or six different instruments that are used for all chemical analysis. Pesticides have been in use for a long time now and as time goes bye are even safer and more effective making the organic vs non-organic argument less of an issue. Look at the study done in Denmark I posted the link for, how can you just ignore it?

As with most "Green" types all science is evil until ye get sick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Pesticides have been tested for their impact on human health and are regulated by the EU. Risk assesments would have to be done on anything that enters the food chain. Testing is not very expensive and could be done in any IT or university lab. New testing methods are not needed for each pesticide, its the same five or six different instruments that are used for all chemical analysis. Pesticides have been in use for a long time now and as time goes bye are even safer and more effective making the organic vs non-organic argument less of an issue. Look at the study done in Denmark I posted the link for, how can you just ignore it?

I only saw nutritional comparisons discussed in that Danish study; not levels or effects of pesticide. Only the grossly misled still try to argue that organic produce has higher nutritional value. The issue of pesticide usage isn't completely resolved as yet; here's a recent study http://www.pharmacy.ac.uk/pesticides.html that raises concerns. This does suggest that the impact on people of pesticides isn't completely understood. So, given the choice I'll eat organic veg. Even better if it's locally produced so that it's fresher (I'd rank this over organic) and supports local farming.

btw;
    attack the issue not the poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

did you ever think organic might be TASTIER then the force grown water filled range you get in most shops.

ciotog wrote: »
    I only saw nutritional comparisons discussed in that Danish study; not levels or effects of pesticide. Only the grossly misled still try to argue that organic produce has higher nutritional value. The issue of pesticide usage isn't completely resolved as yet; here's a recent study http://www.pharmacy.ac.uk/pesticides.html that raises concerns. This does suggest that the impact on people of pesticides isn't completely understood. So, given the choice I'll eat organic veg. Even better if it's locally produced so that it's fresher (I'd rank this over organic) and supports local farming.

The EU ensure that safe levels of pesticides are present in our food so its not an issue, the nutritional value is the only issue the general public are mis-informed about. Hopefully more people hear this and will be able to make an more informed decision on organic food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Cathal01 wrote: »
    You're getting mutant food which has none of the flavour of the real deal.

From my own experience of eating organic fruit and veg i would strongly disagree that organic tastes better. I have had as much good and bad experience with both organic and non organic.

The market on a Saturday morning has a couple of organic stalls.

did you ever think organic might be TASTIER then the force grown water filled range you get in most shops.

Anything thats mass produced will be of poorer quality than a small scale operation, but the presence of pesticides will not affect the taste or the nutritional values of the veg. If you grow them in your garden and spray them with pesticides the product you get will be just as nutritional and will not damage your health. That is the point. The chemicals have no influence on the quality of the product.

ciotog wrote: »
    btw; attack the issue not the poster.

Sorry your right

My experience of people who believe strongly in organic veg etc is that they are quite militant and Green party types especially (could be just the ones I've met). They ignore science when it suits, ie organic veg , alternative medicine, and the joke that is homeopathy (Green party wanted it available in pharmacies???) but global warming the scientist are suddenly right again

Sorry your right

My experience of people who believe strongly in organic veg etc is that they are quite militant and Green party types especially (could be just the ones I've met). They ignore science when it suits, ie organic veg , alternative medicine, and the joke that is homeopathy (Green party wanted it available in pharmacies???) but global warming the scientist are suddenly right again
    Familiar with those types - find it tricky to avoid being associated with them because of things I advocate e.g cycling

The EU ensure that safe levels of pesticides are present in our food so its not an issue, the nutritional value is the only issue the general public are mis-informed about. Hopefully more people hear this and will be able to make an more informed decision on organic food.
    The issue highlighted by that particular study is that when the EU make a determination on safety they don't include the effect on the endocrine system as a criterion of safety. So while they may look at toxicity on the brain or liver, for example, they're not picking up what it does to hormones. That's the iterative nature of science but it's a concern all the same.

My own interest in organic food comes largely from my parents growing a lot of their own veg where possible and opting not to use pesticides. I tend to think of 'organic' in that sense - pull the vegetables out of the ground 10 minutes before you start cooking them and just worry about washing off dirt (rather than a concern about pesticide for example) :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

when i said people are sheep i meant its because they generally just blindly buy organic think it will taste better or be better for them or magically save the world and thats just not true.

Something can be labled organic and still have been produced thousands of miles away, taste of nothing and be stupidly over priced.

people should be more concerned with buying locally produced veggies and fruit where possible. If you can get organic veg produced down the road, gor for it, once its not 3x the price of the same item produced nearer your house and sold in the same green grocers.

same goes for meats, there is no economic, taste or health benefits from choosing organic beef, Lamb, pork or chicken over well produced, well sourced, traditionally rared produce of the same nature. A good free range chicken will taste every bit as good as an organic chicken and cost half the price.
    Just educate yourself and make informed decissions on where your food comes from.

Buying local and well procuded is far more important than buying organic.

Advertisement