Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cancelling an insurance policy? (Aviva home)

Options
  • 25-02-2011 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

hi

ive paid for my home insurance (aviva) upfront back in september but id like to move to a different company,am i entitled to money back for the remainder of the insurance policy if i seek to cancel and move elsewhere?
    is it at the discretion of the insurer,does it vary from insurer to insurer or am i chancing my arm asking for a refund?

while im at it i suppose also would it be the same for motor insurance?(also paid upfront,in full)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭marshmallowx

Hi Barry

as long as its not your first year with Aviva you should be intitled to a pro rata refund (they can only charge you for period of cover they provided) but if the policy was only set up with them in September they will charge short term rates and only refund a percentage - if you check the policy booklet it should note % they charge. same goes for motor

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Why do you want to move now? Why not wait until renewal date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Cool,thanks for that.its a long standing policy so no problems so id imagine.
    Thanks again!

ravima wrote: »
    Why do you want to move now? Why not wait until renewal date?

Because i want to add an iphone to my contents,aviva dont pay out easily on iphones,another company will cover it 100% regardless of the situation it was damaged/lost/stolen in.

Im not trying to pull a scam or anything,its just piece of mind for such an expensive item.

My current iphone insurance doesnt cover much.water damage,leaving it in a taxi etc are all reasons why insurers wont pay out/replace an item,'youre own negligence' basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Which insurer is offering that cover OP ?

• Advertisement

oldyouth wrote: »
    Which insurer is offering that cover OP ?

AFAIK 123.ie offer that cover according to another poster over on Boards Apple forum.

barryd09 wrote: »
    AFAIK 123.ie offer that cover according to another poster over on Boards Apple forum.
    I wouldn't have thought so. Can you post the wording here for comment before you make any decision?

oldyouth wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought so. Can you post the wording here for comment before you make any decision?

Will do.
    I'll get the link for the actual thread aswell,the poster strongly maintains that he quizzed them on everything relating to a claim and its all good.He paid an extra €18 to cover the phone and everything is covered.
    I want to make enquiries myself obviously before switching.

I'll get back to you with the link.

Not doubting the cover is there OP, but with insurers, the word 'everything' rarely applies

this is the post from the apple section on boards

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70483347&postcount=25

i still actually havent approached 123.ie about it yet,hope to get to it this week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement