Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARGH!!!!...If i hear, "call back in two weeks we might have something then"

Options
  • 25-02-2011 5:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

So i'm in Oz now and i've been trying to get work, with no luck was so ever. I've been here for 2 weeks now.

I've signed up to seek, job search and a few other sites. I'm also checking alot of other sites like harvest trail and gumtree.

I've sent out alot of emails, and made 18 calls and nothing as of yet, i've been trying to get my specified work out of the way first but i'm hsving no luck at all.

Is there something i'm missing, oh i'm in Melbourne at the moment, thinking of hitting Tasmania in search for harvesting work, but would much rather say in and around sydney melbourne region

Its starting to getting very furstrating

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

what is your specific field?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Ah the joys of a WHV, wouldn't start worrying until your 3rd month then the desperation sets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

If you get really stuck, and still want to get farm work, you can always try Griffith. I'm here at the moment. The hostel is pretty ****, and the farms pay **** all (generally $13/14 an hour. Or $6 a bucket for cherry tomatoes). The people are good though! You won't save much money, and the heat is fairly intense, but if you're completely stuck and want to get the three months over and done with then you could give it a go!

http://www.griffithinternational.com.au/

Don't blame me if you don't like it though, and don't judge it on your first week, especially with work. A lotta people come and go after 2/3 nights in the place. You'll more than likely hate most of the farming work you're doing for the first week of it. It just takes a bit of getting used to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I was 4 months in Melbourne before I got fulltime work.

Try computershare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Start applying for jobs two weeks ago and heard nothing back. Applied to loads most saying start asap, no ex required etc. Just keep at it. Something will come up eventually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Took me months of looking for work to get some.
    Melbourne is quiet work wise at the moment.
    what kind of work are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

elspecia wrote: »
    So i'm in Oz now and i've been trying to get work, with no luck was so ever. I've been here for 2 weeks now.

I've signed up to seek, job search and a few other sites. I'm also checking alot of other sites like harvest trail and gumtree.

I've sent out alot of emails, and made 18 calls and nothing as of yet, i've been trying to get my specified work out of the way first but i'm hsving no luck at all.

Is there something i'm missing, oh i'm in Melbourne at the moment, thinking of hitting Tasmania in search for harvesting work, but would much rather say in and around sydney melbourne region

Its starting to getting very furstrating

From my own experience and from talking to employers the best way to get a job is to do it in person. If you know there is a job opening somewhere go into the workplace personally - looking well groomed and sounding sharp and confident.

If and employer posts a job on the likes of Seek and Gumtree there will probably get many, many replies.. odds are your CV could be on the bottom of the list y'know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Didn't realise it was so tough getting jobs in Melbourne. I wouldn't have enough money to wait around for months without work. How tough is it getting banking or even any type of office work in Melbourne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Dont panic we are going to pave the streets with gold next week as per RTE's instruction.

Sorry I jest Office work here is a really hit and miss. Melbourne like Oz does not come with guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AndyC555

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I hear so many people talking about Australia and New Zealand like its the promised land of riches and fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Didn't realise it was so tough getting jobs in Melbourne. I wouldn't have enough money to wait around for months without work. How tough is it getting banking or even any type of office work in Melbourne?

That's why DIAC advise you bring at least $5K for a WHV, as most people know they don't often check it on entry because they know if you dont have it they will be stamping you out soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

2 weeks?!

Not that long mate.

Definitely consider getting your 3 months out of the way now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭elspecia

In terms of getting my 3 months specwork done, i can't find any places that are taking people on at the moment.

Was just talking to few backpckers in my hostel and they said they couldn't get any harvesting or farm work, and they have been looking for months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

elspecia wrote: »
    In terms of getting my 3 months specwork done, i can't find any places that are taking people on at the moment.

Was just talking to few backpckers in my hostel and they said they couldn't get any harvesting or farm work, and they have been looking for months

Can you drive a tractor? I got a call last week from a working hostel I emailed about going over there to do my 3 months straight away but I'm not available until June.

Loads of working hostels are looking for pickers at the minute esp around Vic/NSW boarder area. Pays sh!t, works sh!t, but it is what it is.

Took me 2 months to get work. Seems about average is 4-6 weeks depending on how picky you are-I had to stop being picky. If you want work straight away in laboring, gardening, removals check out gumtree.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

I have been looking for work a month now in Melbourne had handy work for 3 months in Sydney , but it seems heaps of people are finding it hard to get work here :( , maybe things will pick up in march

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

I have been looking for work a month now in Melbourne had handy work for 3 months in Sydney , but it seems heaps of people are finding it hard to get work here :( , maybe things will pick up in march

a lot of people in the construction industry here in sydney have been saying that they are starting to feel a bit of a slowdown , they mostly think it is because of all the government funded school upgrade works.

just keep trying to find work and you will eventually get something.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Two things:

Melbourne is maybe a little quiet at the moment
    plus
    as traditionally happens at this time of year, a lot of backpackers/WHVs arrive usally from Sydney in Jan/Feb in the run up to Grand Prix (a lot of these then depart for warmer climes in late Autumn)
    That's just how it is, it's part of the WHV circuit

Advertisement