Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

toadfly wrote: »
    Aw poor Cream. How's little dude now?

Dude is perfect, absolutely insane as any kitten should be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

The dumbest thing happened to our poor kitty this week. she is called Rince (Rinka) and also Kitterton :D Turned up 3 years ago at age 4 weeks, in the bonnet of my car early in the morning. We nursed her through flu and sinusitis, and then again through pneumonia, which she developed following her spay. And has been a most vigourously healthy cat ever since then, thankfully.

She's always been an indoor kitty, same as the cat we adopted a couple years before, an ex-feral from the famous Dun Laoghaire colony. All our families live miles away, so sometimes we have to take the dog and go visit them for a couple days: our lovely neighbour calls in for the cats while we are gone.

But this kitty, who is the most ridiculously vocal cat you could meet, tends to meow a lot for people to come when we aren't there. And this time she made herself hoarse :eek:

She's been to the vet, had an anti-inflammatory injection, and has throat drops to get for the next few days. Hopefully this sorts her out, so the loudest meow in Ireland will be back functioning very soon. She still keeps on trying to do it, won't give it a rest, and it sounds so pathetic :( I feel so guilty :o

She's in great health in every other way, eating well, tearing around and playing in her usual fashion, but it's easy to tell it's distressing her, not being able to shout. So please, if anyone has healing thoughts for her poor, worn-out vocal chords, they'd be much appreciated ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Got home from work this evening to find my little visitor pressed up against the back door waiting for dinner. Fed him and he's spent the last nearly 3 hours playing with Cinnamon through the door (noses touching the glass, paws rubbing the glass at each other). He wont come in still, but is pretty close to it I'd say.

I'm really worried getting attached to another stray, after what happened with George. Even though this little one looks way, way healthier (if he wasn't so skinny and hungry and here constantly I would assume he had a home) it's still in the back of my mind that it might end with the same result.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Maybe get him to the vet for testing right away, before you do become attached? Although in fairness, I wouldn't say FeLV is so common that you'd be likely to be that unlucky twice in a row. Got my fingers crossed, tho, and all the best of luck to you, this time around.

I'm in hysterics laughing here, I was scratching Cream's back which makes him lick the air (don't ask) and at the same time he was trying to growl at Dude, so all that was coming out was NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM. I wish I had a free hand to take a video!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I'm adopting a new kitty Wednesday :) so excited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm going to have to take Jazzy to the vet next week. I found a lump near the base of the tail yesterday and when I touched it today he meowed at me so it's painful for him. He's holding it slightly to the side, he's not raising it and it looks a bit swollen. We've known lots of cats but I've never known a cat to love his tail the way that Jazzy loves his tail. It's got a black tip and he loves to wrestle it.

Jeez I hate taking him to the vet, it's an ordeal for all of us. He fights for dear life and reverts to feral behaviour to defend himself. I'm hoping we won't need to take him to Limerick, he freaks out in the car.

We have to bring Cream to the vet next week too for his skin, might see you there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

As a punishment for making her wait until 8pm for her walk, Coco decided she would roll in horse poo on the beach. We didn't get the waft until we were heading up the road, all loaded into the van. Of course she thinks she smells delightful and I just don't have the energy or the inclination to throw her into the bath tonight, it's baby wipes for tonight and a full bath tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

At least it was horse poo!! A few weeks ago during the warm weather people took to using the dunes as a loo... Crossing from dunes to beach early one morning and Bailey the poo roller found something he liked the smell off ! PUKE PUKE PUKE Luckily we were right beside him as he went to do it so it wasn't bad - into the sea and under the solar showers with him then scrubbed him when I got home. I have a small bottle of shampoo in the car now just in case :p

Anyways ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ I'm SO TIRED!!! Can't wait until Lucy is housetrained lol! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

tk123 wrote: »
    At least it was horse poo!! A few weeks ago during the warm weather people took to using the dunes as a loo... Crossing from dunes to beach early one morning and Bailey the poo roller found something he liked the smell off ! PUKE PUKE PUKE Luckily we were right beside him as he went to do it so it wasn't bad - into the sea and under the solar showers with him then scrubbed him when I got home. I have a small bottle of shampoo in the car now just in case :p

Anyways ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ I'm SO TIRED!!! Can't wait until Lucy is housetrained lol! :p

GROSS!!

It's gas, I can clean up dog poo with my eyes closed, I'm practically immune to it. But Human poo?? No, no, no!! Vomit!

Then to top it all off, I was so tired last night I fed them the last of the defrosted food and of course completely forgot to take anything out of the freezer til 7.30 this morning. So everybody got breakfast except them and they're looking at me as if I'm mad cos I haven't fed them anything yet...although we're nearly there with a couple of necks and a scraping of salmon.

Good luck with the vets everyone! I don't do to well at the vets, usually my babies are grand but it's me that gets stressed :pac:

Poppy's getting so funny with playing ball. She'll have the ball her her mouth and jump up and grab my arm with her two paws and actually places the ball in my hand (or tries to anyway). How can I say no to that?

Little visitor is still coming by regularly. He spent most of yesterday here. Going to try and get him/her to a vets this week if we can catch him. I don't think we'll need a cat trap this time around, he's so close to coming in on his own (Still presses himself up against the glass on the back door). I don't think I've ever met such an insistent stray before. I snapped a photo of him and Cinnamon doing their longing looks just before:

nocapw.jpg

Ahh, that is such a gorgeous photo honer:) They are stunning cats. I'm dreading getting Jazzy to the vets, honestly it almost leads to divorce every time he's to go to the vet it's so stressful. Obviously he's in pain and needs to have the lump checked, we usually get a mild sedative from the vet to give him before we go but it hardly does much.

He gets so stressed that they have to knock him out to examine him and he knows when we take the food up that 1 of them is going to the vet, so he goes into wary paranoia mode. Last time he almost knocked himself out he hit the locked cat flap so hard trying to escape.

I think we need a course of valium pre vet visit with Jazzy. I'm going to have to take him on Wednesday in Toby's slot and take Toby on Thursday for his 2nd vaccination. I managed to pull some muscles in my shoulder and arm last night so that should make things even more fun with the vet visit.

Oh poor Jazzy :( Hopefully when you take him in he wont need repeat visits for the tail. It's a shame a vet couldn't come out to you and save all the stress :(

In fairness to our vets they did offer in the past, but it would be worse if they came out as you'd never hold him still. He would rip you to shreds trying to escape. He's the most loving affectionate cat but try to confine him and it scares him and he fights for his life. I'm dreading getting him into our cat carrier on Wednesday morning, it's huge, more of a travelling crate for a small dog, but still a nightmare.

On a happier note we're hoping to get the cat trap and have another attempt at catching Oscar. I was at my parents house recently, they live nearby, and there he was eating away at their cats food in the back garden. We didn't know we were talking about the same cat.

There cats don't fight him so hopefully we might catch him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Just saw French Bulldog puppies for sale on a certain website....for....wait for it....€3500 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: But, it's ok no panic they have their first "vacations" :rolleyes:

Lost for words.....

ah it must be a typo? There's a frenchie on our puppy class and he's a bully to the other pups lol! He looks like a gremlin too! :p

ah it must be a typo?

The "vacation" part :pac::pac:....the price I couldnt get over. €3500 for a female €3000 for a male. I literally LOL'd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

We've had Rocky, our 1yr old lab for six weeks now and it's beginning to seem like at first he was on his best behaviour, and now he's like - hey guys, we're all besties, no need for manners here eh? He is an absolute greedy glutton, he would eat continously if he could and if he hears a food wrapper rattle he is on the case within seconds, whether he's asleep or in the next room. On Sunday evening I decided to have a cuppa and a bicky but could not find my oreos - I knew they were around somewhere as I had opened them earlier in the day and taken one out of the packet. Went looking thinking I had gone mad til I found half the wrapper at the bottom of the garden!! He had also stolen a half Dairy Milk bar I had left on the kitchen table. I was worried about him being ill after that but not a bother on him. Little scamp! Will have to make sure any food is kept in the cupboards from now on!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

The Cool wrote: »
    We've had Rocky, our 1yr old lab for six weeks now and it's beginning to seem like at first he was on his best behaviour, and now he's like - hey guys, we're all besties, no need for manners here eh? He is an absolute greedy glutton, he would eat continously if he could and if he hears a food wrapper rattle he is on the case within seconds, whether he's asleep or in the next room. On Sunday evening I decided to have a cuppa and a bicky but could not find my oreos - I knew they were around somewhere as I had opened them earlier in the day and taken one out of the packet. Went looking thinking I had gone mad til I found half the wrapper at the bottom of the garden!! He had also stolen a half Dairy Milk bar I had left on the kitchen table. I was worried about him being ill after that but not a bother on him. Little scamp! Will have to make sure any food is kept in the cupboards from now on!!!

:D Sounds like a typical lab to me. Have you wormed him since you've had him though? Although labs will tend to eat until they pop, there may be an underlying reason for it with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

No, he is actually due a visit to the vet to get a load of stuff checked off the list so that needs done anyway but it's really just a matter of him thinking it's completely unfair if we are eating and he is not, he's a hungry hungry hippo!! Unless of course it's vegetables we're talking about...!

The lump on Jazzy's tail has almost gone, to thankfully he won't need to go to the vet tomorrow:) Toby is determined to sleep in all of Felix's favourite places, not going down well at all with Felix. Jazzy is very cocky these days since he's moved up a rung in the pecking order since Toby arrived.

We discovered a few days ago that Toby likes drinking from the bathroom tap, I was wondering why he kept wandering around the bath, then he saw me brushing me teeth and went mental to get at the tap. He is such a 'talkative' chap. I'm trying to wear him out running him up the stairs after a ping pong ball at night. He sleeps all day and as soon as we go up to bed he's meowing and trying to get in to the bedroom to us, which Felix just won't allow.

Ah that's great news - it's brilliant when you get away with taking them lol! Bailey gets so frightened I dread having to take him. Last week at our appointment I tried some t-touch he actually lay down and relaxed! At least I know I was doing them right lol!

I've just been having a little training session with Lucy practicing loose lead/self control - with a toy because she's more toy driven atm. Started of going really well - she copped on fairly quickly that she needed to turn back to me first etc..then somebody else decided they wanted in on the action and started bringing me all other random toys lol!! Then it turned into the two of them having a mad half hour having a game with each other :p

. Last week at our appointment I tried some t-touch

What's "t-touch" TK?

anniehoo wrote: »
    What's "t-touch" TK?

http://www.ttouch.com/

There's a few parts to it -
    - one is slow gentle circular movements/touches
    - another part is wraps - like thunder shirts or wraps you do with bandages
    - another is ground work - so you get the animal to move over different surfaces or in different directions. I've done this with Bailey (always get out of our routine to my shame!) and have seen huge improvements in his balance and gait. We used cones and poles so he'd step slowly over the poles and another is a 'labyrinth' that you walk around a little maze going around corners to work on their balance
    - another is looking for signs in their coat/paws - eg fur sticking out where it shouldn't be, dry spots etc etc

A few trainers I know suggested I come along to a seminar last year that somebody was coming over from the UK to do - Bailey was about 6 months post OP at the time and wasn't even on his legs. In negotiations with my mum to see if she's up to minding Lucy at the weekend because there's an intro workshop on and I'd like to take a refresher :p:p

Just had a gawk at the website (Tellington Therapy).Wow it sounds really interesting alright, but maybe it's just me but that Youtube Video didn't convince me on their site. The dog looked uncomfortable @0.20s in.Is it just me?

My dog used to love her shoulders/chest area being rubbed,(I read a few "theories" on why dogs like that :pac:) ...but anywhere else she'd tense up.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Just had a gawk at the website (Tellington Therapy).Wow it sounds really interesting alright, but maybe it's just me but that Youtube Video didn't convince me on their site. The dog looked uncomfortable @0.20s in.Is it just me?

Is he looking up because he didn't like it or looking to something off camera lol?!

It def works but with Bailey anyways he prefers some touches over others so some he might not want done on him and others he loves and just lies down. If there was an area he wasn't sure he wanted touched he'd start messing trying to cause a diversion! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

So, my son got his points for college, looks like I'm going to have to find a new dog sitter/poo picker uperer

• Advertisement

Sitting in work this afternoon I realised I got a familiar smell off my fleece ... puppy pee!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement