Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Had a "proud" moment a while ago. Henry's recall has always been a bit shaky, especially when we meet other dogs, but we've been working on it extra hard lately. This evening we met a lovely friendly dog and they all had a run around together. When I walked on I called Hen to follow and he came running the second time! Not perfect, but I think it's the first time I haven't had to physically go and get him! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

tk123 wrote: »
    Sitting in work this afternoon I realised I got a familiar smell off my fleece ... puppy pee!

Oh I've had that before with bags and cat pee, so embarassing. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Congrats to your boy muddy paws!
    Gotta wait until September for jc results for my girl, she's skipping transition year so only 2 more years and my baby will be gone too.
    I'll be all alone...turning into the crazy cat/dog/small animal women!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Had great fun this evening. I was a judge at a kids pet show and it was furry and "non furry" overload,there was even a tarantula...sooooooo many pets showed up. Endless fun! People went ALL out, even dressing up their pets :pac: I got to judge the "small dogs" and "cats" categories.There was about 50 pets in total. Mental!:eek:

One diamond of a kid stood out, well stood back in the corner tbh,with her gorgeous JRT.Very well behaved and so friendly. Not a classically "pretty dog" like the others, but an absolute gem all the same. The little kid was only about 6 or 7....and both her and her dog were just adorable. I gave them 1st place!!! She was sooooo chuffed.The looks i got from the owners who's dogs had dresses/bow ties/t shirts and bling on were only hilarious. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Brought my new kitten home. Can't believe how small she is compared to my other kitten who's not much older. She's ravaged with ear mites and she stank of urine so had to give her a bath. I got her from an animal rescue who's conditions didn't seem the best. Broke my heart leaving all the other kittys there :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Brought my new kitten home. Can't believe how small she is compared to my other kitten who's not much older. She's ravaged with ear mites and she stank of urine so had to give her a bath. I got her from an animal rescue who's conditions didn't seem the best. Broke my heart leaving all the other kittys there :(

Hearin' ya! I also got 2 kittens from a rescue for my MIL a few weeks ago, not from the same litter, but from a bunch they had brought to the pet shop for an adoption drive, from all different litters. In a rabbit hutch full of shavings, if you please.

Had my name down at the local vet for her: he always gets really healthy kittens and does all the right things to make sure you pick up fab pets when you pay down your money.

But of course I'm never thinking about the money, and knew when my soft-hearted neighbour dragged me into the petshop that all bets were gonna be off. I was gonna pick 2 kittens that needed rescuing, go straight to the vet, and pay him far more than he woulda charged me for the 2 healthy kittens I was down for.

And so it happened. Both raddled with worms, the smaller one had mites too, and was very weak, so much so that the vet took her to the back and gave her a drip with vitamin B12. She did prove pretty resilient, however, maintaining healthy, solid poos throughout, when the much bigger boy had to fight through a virus over the weekend, with bloody stools and going off his food on Sunday to the point where it was just very lucky I had a couple sachets of convalescence support left over from an earlier time, and syringes to persuade him to start licking the stuff.

I also had to put in a lot of gentle, patient work to get that boy to trust humans, although bizarrely he had fooled me on that score, by starting to purr immediately when I took him out of the rabbit cage that time when I picked out the kittens. The teeny girl was climbing onto me at any opportunity for a perch-and-purr, the entire week I was keeping the kittens for mother-in-law.

I'd thought I'd be keeping them for her for the whole time til their vaccinations were finished, but it turned out my mother-in-law (whose 17-yr-old cat had died of cancer) was missing cats too much, so we delivered them after a week in our place. At least at that stage I was satisfied they were now healthy, although she would have to keep them in for the rest of their vax program.

Probably for the best really, as she has a young and rather neurotic Rottie to introduce them to, and waiting wasn't likely to improve that. He was really very difficult with them to begin with, but got quickly better over days, so them being younger was probably better, as they didn't get as traumatised as older cats might have.

As we expected, the tiny kitten was braver, and seemed to take to things faster, standing up to Benny more easily. The bigger kitten hid a lot in the first few days, although he responded very well to us when we interacted with him in the kitchen and Benny wasn't there. Both kittens, incidentally, had been very relaxed with our dog, Lola, right from the start: Lola is a Dobie who is fab with cats - our very confident indoor cat at home is her very best non-human friend.

Just to show, we should never expect anything with animals tho, mother-in-law now informs us that the bigger male kitty (Paul) is now one of the most affectionate she has had, and brave as a lion with Benny, while suddenly miss tiny kitten (Petra) has gone all shy, no longer likes being picked up, which she used to love, and will hide behind Paul when Benny shows any interest.

Could this be due to developmental phases or something? And is Petra likely to get over her shyness and become the confident kitty she appeared when she was really young?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Had a "proud" moment a while ago. Henry's recall has always been a bit shaky, especially when we meet other dogs, but we've been working on it extra hard lately. This evening we met a lovely friendly dog and they all had a run around together. When I walked on I called Hen to follow and he came running the second time! Not perfect, but I think it's the first time I haven't had to physically go and get him! :D

Isn't it great when you get that glimmer of hope that something you've been working on is sinking in? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We had an early start this morning. Jazzy went out about 3ish and I was woken by squeaking about half an hour later. Q my husband and I grabbing our dressing gowns and dashing down to rescue what ever it was. Turned out to be a mouse. Mr P got it off him and let it escape safely, he got bitten in return. When he opened the front door to release mr mouse he found another dead mouse on the door step. There's nothing like a feral, or former feral in Jazzy's case for getting rid of rodents.

God knows where he gets them, I think he's heading off to nearby fields. Toby had his 2nd vaccination yesterday, he's very brave at the vets and in the car. The longer he's with us the more we realise how dopey he is, should have called him Forest, he hasn't the sense he was born with:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Back from 2 weeks away without our woofs, they were being house sat by our young neice. Had to change all our bedding because it looked like Tara slept on the beds and the couches whilst we were away, she's not allowed to normally!

Neither dog appeared to have missed us too much, but Rusty is now sat at my feet after devouring his present of a large stuffed dog biscuit! Tara is ignoring her present which is a 'indestructible' dog ball - not holding much hope for that though...

Back to mountains of dog hair and messy house - missed them though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm going away for the weekend as a manager with community games, I wanted to bring the cats up as mascots but apparently that's frowned upon :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Urgh, it's that time of year. So far this morning I've killed 3 wasps in the house. Benson is a divil for catching bluebottles/daddylonglegs/anything that flies and eating it, I'm terrified he'll catch one and get stung in his mouth. :eek:

Urgh, it's that time of year. So far this morning I've killed 3 wasps in the house. Benson is a divil for catching bluebottles/daddylonglegs/anything that flies and eating it, I'm terrified he'll catch one and get stung in his mouth. :eek:

:( My friend's setter got stung after chasing bees in the lavendar she has out the back - well we think he did but no swelling or anything and was off form and miserable.. he went to kennels the same day while they went off for a week's hols, came back and he refused to go out the back! She had to pull the lavendar up to get rid of all the bees.

Make sure you have some antihistamines in case he does get stung - I normally use Pirotin for Bailey.

tk123 wrote: »
    :( My friend's setter got stung after chasing bees in the lavendar she has out the back - well we think he did but no swelling or anything and was off form and miserable.. he went to kennels the same day while they went off for a week's hols, came back and he refused to go out the back! She had to pull the lavendar up to get rid of all the bees.

Make sure you have some antihistamines in case he does get stung - I normally use Pirotin for Bailey.

I got stung myself a couple of years ago, first time ever. The little fecker stung me under the arm and even though I got the stinger out fairly quickly my arm was so sore for a couple of days, like a dead weight so I dread to think what might happen if he got stung in his mouth. :(

Well Bailey got attacked by wasps last year and he was fine - no lumps and bumps and he even bit one them(!) :eek: - he barked at every dog he met after though lol! :p My friend's dog - it was like a cartoon with all the lumps appearing lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Just back from the vet with Isabella. Her fur has gotten really thin at the back, and the vet thinks it's probably anxiety. :( I always thought we gave her a really good home, now I'm all worried that something is stressing her out and I don't know what.

That and she might be developing arthritis, which is why she's not running so much on her wheel.

She was so good with the vet though, she stayed really still and let her examine him with no problems. Bless her, she's so good!

Just back from the vet with Isabella. Her fur has gotten really thin at the back, and the vet thinks it's probably anxiety. I always thought we gave her a really good home, now I'm all worried that something is stressing her out and I don't know what.

That and she might be developing arthritis, which is why she's not running so much on her wheel.

She was so good with the vet though, she stayed really still and let her examine him with no problems. Bless her, she's so good!

Have kinda dreaded (sorry :o) seeing your posts after you said the other day in the Pics Thread she was "slowing down". I literally have NO IDEA what to say, only that you know her best. Could the "anxiety" be related to a hormonal issue rather than behavioural/environmental? Vets treat hormonal conditions (resulting in anxiety e.g. Cushings) in "small animals" all the time, but does it extend to rodents?

Hope you're ok, Isabella is like our Boards rodent mascot, legend ;)

anniehoo wrote: »
    Have kinda dreaded (sorry :o) seeing your posts after you said the other day in the Pics Thread she was "slowing down". I literally have NO IDEA what to say, only that you know her best. Could the "anxiety" be related to a hormonal issue rather than behavioural/environmental? Vets treat hormonal conditions (resulting in anxiety e.g. Cushings) in "small animals" all the time, but does it extend to rodents?

Hope you're ok, Isabella is like our Boards rodent mascot, legend ;)

Well I knew she's getting older, I mean she was probably about 4 months when we got her March 12 months ago... So that'd make her nearly 20 months old. Wow.

I just want to make sure she's happy as she gets older. The vet said it was unlikely to be hormonal because the fur is coming off unevenly. If it was hormonal it'd probably be more even. The skin is fine underneath, which is good. I mean she's in great form, she's eating pretty well, still gets excited coming out for runs and digging.

I'm a member of a hamster specific board so I might ask there. But so long as she's happy and relaxed that's all I want.

Thanks Annie. And everyone else too. :)

so long as she's happy and relaxed that's all I want.
    Exactly. Keep us updated won't ya?! ;)

anniehoo wrote: »
    Exactly. Keep us updated won't ya?! ;)

Totally. I have a feeling once my other half puts her mind to it, the hamster palace will morph into an incredibly impressive and relaxing retirement home. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Little Isabella must be the most loved hamster in the world! Her pics make me want a hammy and I know one looking for a home. Not sure I could dedicate the time to it though, considering how much your lady seems to thrive on attention.

Anybody any nice plans with their pets today? K is off doing something boyish today, left at 6.30am so today the boys and I plan to do nothing but this:

1150336_10201389507435037_411768621_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    Little Isabella must be the most loved hamster in the world! Her pics make me want a hammy and I know one looking for a home. Not sure I could dedicate the time to it though, considering how much your lady seems to thrive on attention.

Anybody any nice plans with their pets today? K is off doing something boyish today, left at 6.30am so today the boys and I plan to do nothing but this:

1150336_10201389507435037_411768621_n.jpg

It's actually not all that time consuming. She gets out for maybe 30 minutes a day, but you can leave her to her own devices in her ball for a lot of that. Isabella is a bit unusual in the amount of human contact she likes. A lot of the time we bring her into the hallway where we can close off doors and she can free range while we read or surf the net. I'll forget she's even out until I feel her climbing up my leg and ill look and there she is, just sitting there grooming!

Whispered wrote: »

[/IMG]
    Busy morning so far - up with dogs at 6:30, back to sleep for a couple of hours, out for quick walk with Bailey, took Lucy to puppy school, came home and set up laptop to spy on Lucy while I went back up to the training center with Bailey as one of his fav's is back from maternity leave and his other fav was there too - I wanted to see his reaction to being back up there after a couple of months off - he was delighted to see them of course and cried because we weren't going in :rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I was at an EGAR fundraiser today helping out at the dog show. Was so much fun, I judged some of the classes. Met a boardsie there but was so busy didn't get a chance to introduce myself.

Ozzzie is wrecked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Coming home from work has now become a game of 'how many shoes will Poppy have located and dragged around the house today?'. No matter where we hide them and how many doors between her and the shoes she finds them. Quite magical really. Today she also found a soft toy and pulled the eyes off it. She has a thing for eyes on toys :rolleyes:
    She reminds me so much of the dog I grew up with: That dog had a vendetta against mousepads. No matter how high or how hidden they were we came home to a ripped one every single day.

Our wee stray came in the house the other day and then legged it again. Such a lovely wee cat, with a massive personality. Currently calling him/her Sylbey (I don't even know, it started off as Sylvester :pac: ). Cinnamon and Sylbey are still mental about each other, they stand up on their back legs and touch paws.

Poppy will be 1 on the weekend, time is flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

toadfly wrote: »
    I was at an EGAR fundraiser today helping out at the dog show. Was so much fun, I judged some of the classes. Met a boardsie there but was so busy didn't get a chance to introduce myself.

Ozzzie is wrecked!

I was there too! Our Lily won FIRST PRIZE in the best rescue dog category (have to put it in caps cos we're so flippin chuffed!!) Our Archie got 3rd in the golden oldie (there were only 3...!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I was there too! Our Lily won FIRST PRIZE in the best rescue dog category (have to put it in caps cos we're so flippin chuffed!!) Our Archie got 3rd in the golden oldie (there were only 3...!!)

You might have been who I was talking about! I was the one on registration!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dave_Power

I came home today from work and my 8 week old kitten and my 2 year old tom cat were fast asleep cuddled up against each other, I introduced the kitten to him 2 weeks ago and he hated her!!

toadfly wrote: »
    You might have been who I was talking about! I was the one on registration!:D

FIX!!!! ;);)

Grrr. Burst water main down the road and haven't had water all day and still don't. Have been collecting rainwater from the showers for the doggies in every available bucket.

It's amazing what you can't do. Have a shower, mop the floor, wash your hands when you've done food, wash bowls...and as (bad) luck would have it one of the dogs managed to stand in a poo this morning (or as it looked like, he went sliding into it cos it was all up his leg:() so I was baby wiping him to conserve the meagre supplies we had.

Luckily enough my neighbour has a well so as soon as he was up (about 4 hours after I got up) he started ferrying me in buckets and bottles so I could have a cuppa:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Grrr. Burst water main down the road and haven't had water all day and still don't. Have been collecting rainwater from the showers for the doggies in every available bucket.

It's amazing what you can't do. Have a shower, mop the floor, wash your hands when you've done food, wash bowls...and as (bad) luck would have it one of the dogs managed to stand in a poo this morning (or as it looked like, he went sliding into it cos it was all up his leg:() so I was baby wiping him to conserve the meagre supplies we had.

Luckily enough my neighbour has a well so as soon as he was up (about 4 hours after I got up) he started ferrying me in buckets and bottles so I could have a cuppa:)

Here here for good neighbours, they are a rare commodity nowadays:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement