Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Oz tried to eat one the other day, luckily I got to it before he did. Little fecker :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Somebody smashed the wasps nest in our park during the winter so no probs there BUT the other park we go to at the weekend for longer walks has a nest just beside where we go down to a stream that the dogs play in :( I spoke to one of the gardeners last year when Bailey got attacked by a swarm of them (but was fine) and he said they weren't allowed touch the nests because of biodiversity rules. All the could do was put up a sign - which was pulled down and broken :mad: Lucy got stung a few weeks ago so is a bit wary of them - Bailey tries to bite them! We were lucky last time he did that the he didn't end up in the vets so not taking any chances!
    Can't wait to get home - feel like I'm getting a tummy bug or fighting something off since early yesterday morning. I'm fine if I keep eating/snacking otherwise getting bad pains in my tummy! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I just got my vegetable garden fenced off so the dogs can't get in there. Jess spend most of yesterday evening walking along the fence boundary and scratching at it to get in. I feel a bit guilty for taking away part of their garden, but Henry kept climbing up on to the raised beds and eating things (including non-edible foliage!) so I had to do it. The plus side is that I can let the hens wander around the veg patch all evening without supervising them and the dogs.

Hope you're feeling better TK. Coming down with a bug just in time for the weekend is not a good plan!

GAH still sicky..
    Anyhoos a fun story lol

A dog who goes to hydro - very friendly and easy going except for his enemy the paper man. Owner was taking him out the other day and didn't realize the guy was at the door(!).. The dog ended up grabbing his tracksuit bottoms and pulling them off so he was left in his boxers lol! :p She had to give the guy a pair of her OH's bottoms and €50 lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Very poor pic but I thought it was funny, Dude was grooming Cream who was not very impressed so he pounced which looked utterly hilarious in the lamp!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Very poor pic but I thought it was funny, Dude was grooming Cream who was not very impressed so he pounced which looked utterly hilarious in the lamp!! :pac:

Lol, he looks like he is dancing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

brrabus wrote: »
    @SillyMangoX - LOFL, can just picture it

While on here, just wondering if anyone has noticed the number of wasps around. Was stung on the toe earlier today, treating it with Doctor Burts but it is still paining.

Have a composter at the side of the house which is used by myself and three other households. Went to put stuff in it the other day and noticed numerous wasps around so legged it. Had the same experience at the bottle bank, bottle got promptly put back in car, not messing with those wasps.

Have just put a layer of newspaper in the composter and showered it will water and a sprinkle of washing powder. Going to have a word with all those who use the composter to stop putting any fruit in until end of September. Has anyone got any other tips?

Also, I am trying to source a Waspinator ASAP to put up in garden. I know that I can buy them over the internet (found them on internet after desperate searches today for remedies) but really would like to buy one tomorrow. Anybody got any idea who sells them? The wasps are driving me demented, have to keep doors closed and my cats are protesting, who needs a gym when you have to get up so much to open doors to my demanding cats.

http://ecostore.ie/new-products/the-waspinator-twin-pack

I know a few people who've been stung by wasps the last few days. My boyfriend got stung on the arse yesterday lol

I know a few people who've been stung by wasps the last few days. My boyfriend got stung on the arse yesterday lol

Haha, poor lad. At least I can wrap the area where I got stung with bandage with antiseptic. Still having to do that as it is so itchy. Does he normally show his arse in public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

brrabus wrote: »
    Haha, poor lad. At least I can wrap the area where I got stung with bandage with antiseptic. Still having to do that as it is so itchy. Does he normally show his arse in public?

Never been stung myself but it sounds horrible. It somehow got into his work trousers and stung him a load of times. I almost dropped the phone I laughed so much when he told me what had happened :D

Never been stung myself but it sounds horrible. It somehow got into his work trousers and stung him a load of times. I almost dropped the phone I laughed so much when he told me what had happened :D

I am sorry but I am LMAO reading this and feeling sorry for him at the same time, the poor guy, needs an inflatable ring to sit down on for a while. Take it from me who has been stung many a time, they love me, they think I am a flower because I have reddish hair, it is damn painful. Worst thing about wasps is that they do not leave their sting so can sting over and over again and they will do if you annoy them or they feel under threat. From previous experience I ran to cold water, well limped to it, so the venom would not spread. My mother would be telling me to wash my mouth out with soap if she could have heard what was coming out of it. Was stung by a bee once and the area totally swelled up so had to go to hospital, those beggers leave their sting in you.

• Advertisement

:D I was stung once - on hallowe'en in my dads car! Reached back to fix my seatbelt on felt something on my hand but thought it was a bracelet I had on so shook my hand and it stung me..manged to shake it off and knock it on the floor where it crawled under a piece of cardboard that was on the floor of the car..i stamped on the cardboard and next he crawls out from under it! Luckily there was also a hammer on the floor so picked it up and bye bye Mr. Wasp. As this was all happening my mum was ready to open the door of the car and get out - as we were driving down O'Connel Street lol!! :p
    When we were little and got stung by nettles at my Nana's my Grandad would take out some cold spray stuff and spay it on to cure us - no idea what it was but I'd say it'd sort stings! :)

As a side it's 6:30am, dogs have both been out to the loo and had breakfast, Bailey is gone back to sleep and Lucy is beside me in her upstairs crate giving out about being in the crate and at the same time falling over asleep lol :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

My dog Skye is showing far too much interest in wasps . I'm terrified she is going to get stung in her mouth.

:) the doggies had their first walk together earlier! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

tk123 wrote: »
    :) the doggies had their first walk together earlier! :)

how'd it go? Good I guess by the :)

We did another disservice to agility today, but was so fun!

Whispered wrote: »
    how'd it go? Good I guess by the :)

We did another disservice to agility today, but was so fun!

LOL saw the vids :P

The walk was really funny - she was amazed by everything because it's all new to her lol!! A bus, a fire engine and truck went by as well as other traffic and she didn't pay any attention to them or pick up that Bailey was worried by them. We met some other dogs who were all friendly to her and some kids pet her as well as kids screaming because doggies were walking past :rolleyes: and all good - nothing fazed her at all. I let her explore for a few mins with the lead trailing on the ground and Bailey had a little run around with her lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Was at the redhead convention in Crosshaven today and there was a wee girl of about 10 or 11 there with her dog and during the prize giving it started raining so she took of her jacket and wrapped it around the dog. Thought it was the sweetest thing I'd ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Was at the redhead convention in Crosshaven today and there was a wee girl of about 10 or 11 there with her dog and during the prize giving it started raining so she took of her jacket and wrapped it around the dog. Thought it was the sweetest thing I'd ever seen!

Do you mean the Ginger Convention? ;) I wish I lived nearer to Cork, would definitely have gone along, such a brilliant idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

What's the Ginger Convention?

I could google but I'm in a social mood :)

For red heads, just saw it mentioned on FB, it looked like great craic

I'm assuming red headed people? Or possibly just dogs with red coats :)

Can people with red dyed hair turn up :p

• Advertisement

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    I'm assuming red headed people? Or possibly just dogs with red coats :)

Can people with red dyed hair turn up :p

Leave me alone, I'm not feeling social :P It was red headed people, but there was a dog show and I did see a couple of photos of ginger dogs.

I don't think they are hairist, all colours welcome, but no discounts unless you're ginger. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Yeah, the Ginger Convention :D It was great fun, tis still on tomorrow. I won farthest travelled red head in the competitions, I'm from NZ originally so I guess you can't really get much further away!

http://www.redheadconvention.com/

Loads of non-gingers and fake-gingers around today and as afaik there's red hair dying going on there too.. all proceeds to charity.
    Some gorgeous dogs hanging around too, I met a Dogue de Bordeaux, who won best ginger dog. Absolutely gigantic dog, I swear his head was bigger than all of Poppy!!

Hairist :D I love this new word :D

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Had a mad weekend.

Myself, himself and the mutt were on the motorway heading down to Limerick yesterday. The weather was awful, really miserable. Spotted a dog on the hard shoulder so we pulled over and I got out to call her. She nearly got flattened as she wandered back out onto the road but luckily the car missed her and she came around to me and tried to hop in the passenger seat. Our fella hadn't realised what was going on yet but when I let her in the back and she jumped right in, looking like a mad thing, he got the shock of his life! She then promptly lay down on his dog bed, soaking it in the process, and went to sleep :)

Pulled into Ennis to try find a rescue place, didn't work out so well and had to bring her down to Limerick with us. She spent the night with my sister who brought her to the rescue she works with down there. No word on owners or anything. She had a collar but no tag.

Then earlier today back in Galway, whilst showing my mother who's visiting us the local park, a golden retriever wandered up to us. Stole Ollie's ball and stayed with us for a while. He had a tag that only had a vet's number and stated that he's microchipped. But then he went to hang out with a man with his dog and seemed happy enough. 2 hours later we were back at our house, I opened the door and who was outside only the flipping retriever! Don't know how he found us again. So we got a vet out to scan him, chip not registered. Put his pic up on a few Galway rescues and lo and behold someone recognised him. We just had his owners out half an hour ago to collect him :)

So a happy ending for him. But if either of these two dogs had just a simple phone number on them, this would be all solved within minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I don't usually share facebook things here, but this REALLY tugged at my heart strings and angered me. I do my best to stand up for my dogs and their breed/type. I know them to be little love bugs, but I can understand that some people need to meet them before accepting this. This is mainly because of media portrayal and their reputation as far as I can see.

This popped up on my FB page earlier. Maybe someone who fears or dislikes these dogs will see it and understand that they are not always what they are so often made out to be.

"Here is a good example of how media sells fear. On the left is a stock photo a local news station chose to be the cover about the dogs removed from the dog fighting ranch. On the right is an actual photo of one of the dogs being removed."

564444_638777589472285_1537067282_n.jpg

I'm sorry for bringing a downer on this lovely thread, but I wanted to share and couldn't think of somewhere more appropriate.

Whispered wrote: »
    I don't usually share facebook things here, but this REALLY tugged at my heart strings and angered me. I do my best to stand up for my dogs and their breed/type. I know them to be little love bugs, but I can understand that some people need to meet them before accepting this. This is mainly because of media portrayal and their reputation as far as I can see.

This popped up on my FB page earlier. Maybe someone who fears or dislikes these dogs will see it and understand that they are not always what they are so often made out to be.

I'm sorry for bringing a downer on this lovely thread, but I wanted to share and couldn't think of somewhere more appropriate.

that photo broke my heart, the little fella being carried out just looks so soft and desperate to be loved.

So Lucy has started daycare this morning - ah they grow up so fast! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Toby seems to be settling in well now. He still races me up the stairs when I'm going to bed at night. He just wants to be close to us and he only meows for a little while. We can leave the bedroom door open now so he can hear us and sleeps on the landing. I'm usually woken every night by Felix howling at him when he comes up to us and Toby growling back at him, but it's usually only once and I think Felix is a bit anxious about Toby being upstairs.

Jazzy's stopped being his buddy since he moved indoors and is quite jealous of him getting any attention, I'm hoping it'll resolve itself soon though. We've got the catflap taped open for Toby to get in and out, he's still not using it when the flap is shut, and he's venturing out a bit more. That seems to be boosting his confidence knowing that he can get back in when he goes out. They usually only wander from the back yard to the front garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We finally have a cat that isn't afraid of my Granny! Peach and Cream are both terrified of her and run away the second they hear her coming, but Dude came in today, smelled her and decided yeah I like you and held up his butt for a scratch :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

We finally have a cat that isn't afraid of my Granny! Peach and Cream are both terrified of her and run away the second they hear her coming, but Dude came in today, smelled her and decided yeah I like you and held up his butt for a scratch

Dude is...a Duuuuuuude! Sure ye wouldn't expect anything less :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement