Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:eek: Wow just wow. I'm amazed at the size of the 'parcel' Lucy just delivered - her weeks deliveries would maybe add up to the same size(!) WTF did she eat at daycare lol?! And of course I'm wide awake now after she kindly asked to be taken out! :p

EDIT ZZZZZZZZzzzz was up again with her a couple more times - runny poos and she also puked...on the fresh blanket I'd put in her crate :p Didnt give her any breakfast to be safe.

In happier news Bailey's insurance renewal is only €277! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I will be so glad when the local kids go back to school. Felix was sitting out on our front wall this morning enjoying the sun, when some little brats went by the house and one of them got up into his face roaring at him. By the time I got out there they had gone around the corner. I was still in my pajamas or I'd have gone out and probably put my foot up his rear end:mad:

What the feck do some parents teach their kids these days?:mad:

I was still in my pajamas or I'd have gone out and probably put my foot up his rear end:mad:

Don't let that stop you - I've been out in my pjs for weeks at all hours whipsering "busy busy" to Lucy :pac: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It's Cocos birthday today, she's six:)
    And by coincidence it's Bensons 2 years 'home' day. I collected him on Cocos 4th birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Happy birthday coco!

2 hyper 7 year olds, a hyper kitten and a laser pointer is brilliant entertainment for a night :D

• Advertisement

It's Cocos birthday today, she's six:)
    And by coincidence it's Bensons 2 years 'home' day. I collected him on Cocos 4th birthday.

Did they have a cake? :)

tk123 wrote: »
    Did they have a cake? :)

No, I didn't have time, too many other dogs here to tend to!

We went to the beach and they had their swim, Coco got a new football to play with and their new collars have been shipped and should be here within the next day or two:D

I ended up not getting waterproof collars after all, the one I wanted was £30stg:eek:, which is just too much for a collar (and I need 2) so I went for just plain martingale collars in snazzy colours, I ordered 2 each, so they have a spare while their wet one is drying:).

Got the green ones (not flourescent) and purple ones. I think the colours will look lovely against their coats. Plus Benson gets a bit of a curl on his back from wearing his collar so hopefully these ones will sit looser and it won't curl up.

http://www.snowpawstore.com/collars-leads-belts/dog-collar-and-dog-lead/dog-collar/collar-alaskan-semi-slip.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Just had an almighty row with my sister after she told me her friend has gone to collect a springer pup from a "seller" off our fav no-go website :mad::mad: Despite me saying over and over and OVER again to people to research their breeders,my sister goes to me "you're soooo judgemental, people can do whatever they want.This is why I never mention animal stuff to ya anymore!!"

Her friend has come to me in the past with previous pet problems and STILL doesn't learn. It drives me absolutely bananas that people always come to me for advice on their animals AFTER they've gone and made the worst decisions, yet don't listen to me beforehand.

If a mechanic warned you stay away from dodgy car dealers you'd hang on every word they say...yet animal advice goes in one bloody ear and out the other. *sigh*

/bangs head off brick wall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I know what thats like Annie. I am at the stage that I have stopped trying to help people I know wont take any heed. It just ends with me being frustrated.

Came home after one of the worst days at work and one of the dogs had the runs. Took over an hour to clean as I had to wash the floor twice. Dont know which one it was (although I imagine Lexi cos if that came out of one of the small dogs they'd be dead!) but am fasting all three just incase. They are all in great form though so hopefully it will die down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

There seems to be a lot of 'pedigree' puppies around lately. I saw an advert for pedigree pups on a notice board in my local shopping centre this morning and this afternoon there was someone at my vets with a box of puppies. Walking home I heard a child asking some chap she knew if he wanted to come in to see her puppies.

At the risk of being shot for using the C word at this time of year, it won't be long until the back yard breeding and puppy farmers go into overdrive for the Christmas market:(:mad:

• Advertisement

I know the 'bang head off wall' feeling all too well.

There's a little jrt cross that lives down the lane across the road. He's ALWAYS out. The lane is very quiet but our road can be busy and he's always up on the main road, a good bit away from his house.

He's not microchipped
    He's got a collar with no tag
    He's intact
    He's little or no road sense.

I have brought him back to his house 3 times in the past 2 weeks. A client dropped him into me, my neighbour picked him up and called me (and she's dropped him back to his house before, only she was running out to work) and just today he was standing in the middle of the road as I was heading out with a cement truck coming towards him:eek:. I stopped the car called him, scooped him into the car and brought him (firstly on my trip with me as I was running late) home.

His owners are disasterous. There's no front wall, he was allowed roam about. After I started bring him back they said they would fence him in, it hasn't happened. No matter how much I reiterate that

A/ He could be killed/injured on the road
    B/ He has no identification so they would be lucky to find out
    C/ They could be prosecuted for letting him roam
    D/ They could be prosecuted for not having ID on him
    E/ He could father a litter of unwanted puppies if he found a female in heat while wandering
    F/ They could be sued if he caused an accident and the car was damaged/occupants were injured.
    G/ If he's lucky and picked up by somebody, chances are they'll call the dog warden and he'll go to the pound and they'll have to pay the release fee (that's if they check the pound:mad:)

So finally today when I brought him back they said (almost triumphantly) "It will never happen again, we've got an electric fence and collar for him"

I told them it won't work, that it's cruel, that the battery can wear out/power cut, he can take the pain getting out but he has no incentive to come back after he gets out....

I know it fell on deaf ears.
    I know I'll be picking him up again.

I may as well just start banging my head off the wall now....

It's BEYOND frustrating though. I don't expect people to have the same standards as I do, heck I'm not the perfect owner either. Faaaar from it. But give me a bit of fecking credit. My sis knows what I'm like and I can sit on the fence with a lot of opinions on things but not when it comes to animals.

I always use the car analogy for some reason it's gas as it's something everyone understands. If you went to someone who "knows their cars" and they said "stay away from X,Y and Z car dealer" you'd listen wouldn't ya? You'd take your time buying, research your seller and if you have to buy new then you'd go to a reputable seller.Why for the love of jaysus doesn't the same thing apply.

I'm stiiiiiiiill annoyed lol :pac::o

Starting in a new Pound on sat morning taking photos so I'm on edge about that too.

anniehoo wrote: »

I always use the car analogy for some reason it's gas as it's something everyone understands. If you went to someone who "knows their cars" and they said "stay away from X,Y and Z car dealer" you'd listen wouldn't ya? You'd take your time buying, research your seller and if you have to buy new then you'd go to a reputable seller.Why for the love of jaysus doesn't the same thing apply.

Because most people view their cars as a money pit from the get go. They know they'll fork out for tax and insurance and a dodgy car can cost them thousands, while depreciating all the while.

Some people really view pets with rose tinted glasses, they don't see the pitfall of bad breeding, hell, a lot of them don't think about vet bills AT ALL until they're standing in the vets going "HOW MUCH???" Hopefully they don't see them as a depreciating object though.
    I'm stiiiiiiiill annoyed lol :pac::o

Starting in a new Pound on sat morning taking photos so I'm on edge about that too.

The new one for SDCC? Funny, I've noticed a lot more of a facebook presence from that pound. They've become a lot more public friendly on the face of it. Hopefully it will work out in the long run.

The new one for SDCC?
    Yep Ashton pound. Suppose I can mention because it's not actually a rescue. Ashton are now the sole Pound for Fingal, Dublin City, Dunlaoghaire Rathdown and South Dublin county council as of a few weeks ago.

I will put this in the Charter so people are aware. ;)
    wrote:
    They've become a lot more public friendly on the face of it. Hopefully it will work out in the long run.
    Definitely, me too, which is really good to see and they have lots of followers on facebook already which is great. The bad thing is there are very few charities willing to work with them (past history) so am really hoping that improves in the future.

I worked with another charity for 2 years so I'm starting from scratch again (with no charity back up) on Saturday. I need to rejig my outlook bigtime.

I'm nervous though as I would like to improve the photos that are getting out there at the minute but I have to say I got a response within the hour by facebooking Ashton. Very approachable and very friendly. At the end of the day though, I'm well aware this is very different to what I've been doing with Dunboyne as they are still only a "dog control facility" i.e under the remit of environmental services and don't have the safety net of a reliable charity(s) to get the dogs out.

If you see "collages" from me on Ashtons page...they're mine.Am a big fan of the PicCollage App :P

Oh....me and the sis made up! Jaysis....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I have exactly the same experience with my friends, anniehoo, if that's any consolation!

On one level, they want to talk about their prospective purchase, but at the same time, they don't want to deny themselves and will rationalise if they haven't gone about it the right way, after all your talking!

boomerang wrote: »
    I have exactly the same experience with my friends, anniehoo, if that's any consolation

We had a very funny WhatsApp conversation. In fairness...her job involves giving advice to people (medically based) aaaaaaaalllll day long.

I could or would not like to do her job or vice versa, so after calming down...we're buddies again :pac::pac:

Gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

On a different note entirely - some people never fecking well grow up. When will people bloody well learn that what they say and do effects other people. Especially when they do it all over goddamn facebook.

With that, I'm going to bed for a frustrated/sad/pissed off whinge.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Yep Ashton pound. Suppose I can mention because it's not actually a rescue. Ashton are now the sole Pound for Fingal, Dublin City, Dunlaoghaire Rathdown and South Dublin county council as of a few weeks ago.

I will put this in the Charter so people are aware. ;)

Definitely, me too, which is really good to see and they have lots of followers on facebook already which is great. The bad thing is there are very few charities willing to work with them (past history) so am really hoping that improves in the future.

I worked with another charity for 2 years so I'm starting from scratch again (with no charity back up) on Saturday. I need to rejig my outlook bigtime.

I'm nervous though as I would like to improve the photos that are getting out there at the minute but I have to say I got a response within the hour by facebooking Ashton. Very approachable and very friendly. At the end of the day though, I'm well aware this is very different to what I've been doing with Dunboyne as they are still only a "dog control facility" i.e under the remit of environmental services and don't have the safety net of a reliable charity(s) to get the dogs out.

If you see "collages" from me on Ashtons page...they're mine.Am a big fan of the PicCollage App :P

Oh....me and the sis made up! Jaysis....

I've always found them friendly, and have always worked with them, I know there were some issues with other rescues, but they've always been really friendly and helpful to me, I've not been there for a good while now, but had many a good conversation with the manager, and have always been very friendly with the staff.

They do seem to have changed policies in the last year or so, with microchipping, vaccinating etc, which can only be a good thing. Whilst I am not in favour of a 'super pound', I could never really understand why someone losing a dog in South Dublin had to schlep all the way out to Dunboyne to find their dog, and know personally that a few people couldn't get transport out there to reclaim dogs, so hopefully more dogs will be reclaimed from a pound within the M50.

Always liked your photos anniehoo, so look forward to seeing the new ones, although obviously wish there was no need for you to take them. :)

muddypaws wrote: »
    They do seem to have changed policies in the last year or so, with microchipping, vaccinating etc, which can only be a good thing.
    It is a good thing definitely but it costs €70 to take a dog from that Pound now,it was much less in Dunboyne. With a Pound dog you take a chance (fair enough) for €70 you're going to think a bit harder,with NO guarantee of what they're like. For a little bit more you have Rescues who are doing temperament assessments/homechecks etc. It's a "lucky dip" in this Pound and really needs the equivalent of Dunboynes main dog charity doing the same brilliant work.

How many people are going to pay €70 for a "lucky dip"?

Ok...not gonna go on a Pound rant here.It is what it is.
    wrote:
    Always liked your photos anniehoo, so look forward to seeing the new ones, although obviously wish there was no need for you to take them. :)
    Thank you.

Anyone want to donate a fancy shmancy second hand DSLR or bridge camera send it my way, my camera/phone is on it's last legs :p;)

God I know exactly what ye all mean about advise going in one ear and out the other! Since I've started doing veterinary nursing I've had every Tom dick and Harry asking me animal related questions, or my parents relaying questions from friends. 9 times out of 10 my advise is "jaysus you let it go too long, get to the vet ASAP!" Which is met by the usual money grubbing non caring comments. The only time anyone ever listened to me it ended up saving her cats life after a seizure due to electrolyte imbalance. It's so frustrating trying to help people with nutrition or even something as simple as flea/ worm treatments and it being met with "oh I've never done that, what would I start now!". The local Barman was bemused as to why his two intact male dogs, one of which is a guard dog, were constantly at each others throats... Surely some common sense should come in somewhere!

• Advertisement

While we're ranting

1) Puppy on flexi lead (the heavy chord type) brought to play with the group of dogs and left on the lead yesterday evening = everyone dodging the chord and rope burns on my legs when it ran after Lucy

2) Months ago met somebody who's dog was humping every other dog - not neutered because owner wants a puppy from him, discussing his pug eye problems with somebody else last night...yet she wants to breed it

3) Worst of all :(:( We lost Bailey's football bandana last night - my fav one of all and no sign of it this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

How many people are going to pay €70 for a "lucky dip"?

That's a bargain... the pound I got both my dogs from charges €100! Neither dog had been vacced, chipped or wormed, so it cost me the best part of another €100 at the vet the same day, no to mention the cost of neutering them when the time came. It's a lot of money, but I suppose a price tag like that might put off people taking a dog for dodgy reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

€100 from the pound? Jeez, when we got henry it was a €25 'donation' and we had to have a dog licence and that was it. They'd given him one or two vaccinations for common things picked up in the pound but that was it.

Starting to get really down about my cat's skin. Both Peach and Cream get an allergy every summer, we figure it must be a plant that blooms in the summer as they both get patches on their belly, mouth, hips and feet. But of course these allergies require treatment which is a gruelling course of steroids. Peach is absolutely fine, she will eat hers not a bother and is only delighted to get a bit of cheese. Cream, on the other hand, used to be just as good as Peach for taking his tablets, but during this last course he just will not take them no matter what. I hid them in soft cheese, nope. Wrapped in a piece of ham, nope. Put into a piece of roast chicken, nope. Ground up and put into some Applaws wet food, nope. I ordered a tube of liver pate off zooplus which is designed for tablet hiding. He loves it on it's own but the second the tablet is in it he is gone.

Now originally I had decided to try wait out the allergy, the side effects of steroids weren't worth it etc. but it didn't go on it's own and he licked the patches so badly they got infected, which has me feeling extremely guilty, so it's also my fault that he is on the antibiotic. But I am just so so upset at having to shove a tablet and a half down his throat twice a day. I can see how much he hates it, and it brings tears to my eyes. And what makes it worse is the steroid has to be weaned slowly to stop any nasty withdrawal symptoms so I am going to have to be doing this until the end of September. :(

ah poor kitties! Bailey get its too - not so bad since switching to a raw diet but still gets it. I give him pirotin and dab on cortopin cream and problem solved - a lot easier with a dog than a cat!

My mum just text me there to Lucy did a runny poo again - she did nothing yesterday and a normal-ish one this morning. I thought she was ok after being sick on monday night/tuesday :( Of course I have probiotic etc in my 'stock' but for a 30kg dog lol! I may call into the chemist and see if i can get a syringe so I can pump some into from the big tube and they I can guve her a small-dog dose. I think pet shop sell them for weaning puppies as well don't they? Prob cheaper from a chemist though. I order smaller tubes for her online but they haven't been dispatched yet - when you want stuff asap there's no sign of it and when you're not in a hurry it comes straight away.

Waiting by 'the email' instead of waiting by the phone...

Had my repeat OSCE exams (veterinary nursing final practicals) this morning and the course co-ordinator said she'd send out our provisional results by this evening...

**Taps foot**

Oh good luck!! Nothing worse than waiting! :p

Waiting by 'the email' instead of waiting by the phone...

Had my repeat OSCE exams (veterinary nursing final practicals) this morning and the course co-ordinator said she'd send out our provisional results by this evening...

**Taps foot**

Oooh I know how you feel, I have my repeat next Monday, 18 of us somehow managed to fail it in May!! Best of luck :)

A third of us failed it first time around! It's a rite of passage, eh?

Hopefully now I've nailed it second time around. I wasn't sufficiently prepared the first time!

Best of luck for Monday, what exam is it?

• Advertisement

A third of us failed it first time around! It's a rite of passage, eh?

Hopefully now I've nailed it second time around. I wasn't sufficiently prepared the first time!

Best of luck for Monday, what exam is it?

It's the OSCE as well, completely blanked on my anaesthetic calculations first time round, I hope ill remember them this time :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement