Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Can you sort out two little Dublin ones for me for the final? :D

You want me to ban two little Dublin people?! :-o

Seriously, if tickets were to fall into my possession, you'd have to mug me for them :-D
    Up the dubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Lol, the rivalries are all coming out now, boardsie friendships torn apart. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh have to get Dubs stuff for the dogs to annoy the fans - we live near Croker so area is invaded when there's a match lol! :D *No interest in gaa btw lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

It's okay it's a draw I won't be cross at ye :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

In fairness Cork should have won :-P

• Advertisement

toadfly wrote: »
    In fairness Cork should have won :-P

Ah now less of that, we were the better hurlers :P

Ah now less of that, we were the better hurlers :P

Ah no Clare were better but if I was from Cork i would be ragin that extra 30seconds were played to get the draw.

GAH! I can't decide if I should get a harness for Lucy?! I have one that's too big and probably won't fit for months and months so could just wait but would prefer to have one now for training recall etc. Then I can't decide between perfect fit or xtra dog - prefect fit say you should always use a double ended lead which is what stopping me going with them! GAH! The second I order something I know she'll have a growth spurt! :D

toadfly wrote: »
    Ah no Clare were better but if I was from Cork i would be ragin that extra 30seconds were played to get the draw.

Very true, though then again here was a lot of unfair decisions in the first half, cork should have been given a red card there but got lucky. But anyway this is an animal forum so I may take my analysis to the GAA forum :P the cats nearly had a heart attack with the roar my dad let out at the last point :pac:

Its stressful alright! That'll be me in two weeks. Its not good for my nerves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Very true, though then again here was a lot of unfair decisions in the first half, cork should have been given a red card there but got lucky. But anyway this is an animal forum so I may take my analysis to the GAA forum :P the cats nearly had a heart attack with the roar my dad let out at the last point :pac:

My dogs tend to leave the room when we're watching sport, they know well at this stage how noisy it may get :)

tk123 wrote: »
    Then I can't decide between perfect fit or xtra dog - prefect fit say you should always use a double ended lead which is what stopping me going with them! GAH!

I use the Perfect Fit harness with the lead just attached to the back ring? Indeed, I use it as a tracking harness, and it'd just be silly to be attached to the dog's chest for this sort of thing! One of the reasons I went for the Perfect Fit was because they market it as a tracking harness, I think? So, I'd see no reason not to just use the back ring for recall/long-line work.
    I was using the double-ended lead both front and back when we were working on heelwork, but now we just don't need that front connection any more. Is there a reason you don't like the double ended lead, as a matter of interest? I like the bit of balance it gives being connected to both front and back rings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

DBB wrote: »
    You want me to ban two little Dublin people?! :-o

Seriously, if tickets were to fall into my possession, you'd have to mug me for them :-D
    Up the dubs!

I meant the tiny jerseys! :pac: Yeah im hoping my dad comes through and can get tickets, he managed to get some for the semi final but the final is a whole other story

DBB wrote: »
    I use the Perfect Fit harness with the lead just attached to the back ring? Indeed, I use it as a tracking harness, and it'd just be silly to be attached to the dog's chest for this sort of thing! One of the reasons I went for the Perfect Fit was because they market it as a tracking harness, I think? So, I'd see no reason not to just use the back ring for recall/long-line work.
    I was using the double-ended lead both front and back when we were working on heelwork, but now we just don't need that front connection any more. Is there a reason you don't like the double ended lead, as a matter of interest? I like the bit of balance it gives being connected to both front and back rings!

I usually just use the front ring attach for insurance against an old injury lol! :o They say the front ring isn't meant to take the dog's weight but I could get over using a double ended if I have to - if I could make head or tail of their site and size charts:confused: I've figured out with girth strap I need and that's as far as I've gotten. I'll mail them and see what that say. She's 8.6kgs but skinny after having a dodgey tummy for a week. If she gets sick again tomorrow after daycare I'll push Land of "Holistic"'s:p stall over at pet expo :pac: (thats what they give as treats)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I never use a double ended lead with mine - I use the back ring for Jess and the front ring for Henry because he still pulls a little. The front ring alone probably wouldn't work for a very strong puller. Thankfully Henry doesn't fall into that category any more!

I emailed them about sizing before and they sent me out a couple of different sizes to try, without even charging me until I knew what I needed. Plus you can just replace one part at a time while she's growing. They really are a great harness and the leads are lovely and soft to hold.

Cool thanks - I'll mail them tomorrow and see what they say! She's not pulling at all (yet) - she either walks behind Bailey, to his heel if that makes sense or to my heel so would probably be fine on just the front. I've done a little bit of work with her but not loads - the loose lead game at class etc but so far she's copying Bailey and not pulling. :) I hope it stays that way lol!

tk123 wrote: »
    I usually just use the front ring attach for insurance against an old injury lol! :o They say the front ring isn't meant to take the dog's weight but I could get over using a double ended if I have to

Have you tried the double-ended lead before? I really like it! I started using it in conjunction with the Perfect Fit harness about a year ago, and I love (a) the balance it gives the dog, and (b) the versatility the lead and harness gives you.
    I think the Dog-Games site that supply the Perfect Fit harness have video footage of how TT practitioners use the harness/double-ended lead combo?
    I'm up your neck of the woods on Tuesday afternoon, if you wanted to give Bailey a go in it? Indeed, I think my little spaniel x's Perfect Fit might just fit a Retriever pup!

I actually use double ended all the time so I don't know what I'm worrying about lol! :p

Lucy went for a paddle with Bailey earlier !!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We're almost ready to try to catch Pepper now. We're aiming for tomorrow night, I just want to get her home. She is so vulnerable where she is and there are 2 scumbag kids hanging around there that are up to no good. She was following me through the wood the other night so my husband brought down our large crate to try to lure her in with chicken, but no success, she was probably scared of the smell of our other 3 cats.

We got the carrier that theoretically, you just pop over her and then slide the bottom panel in underneath her. She is lightening fast and can turn in to a whirling ball of claws when she feels trapped.

• Advertisement

Was listening to the radio earlier and they were saying that one in ten people sleep with their pet in their bed every night. The presenters were absolutely disgusted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Was listening to the radio earlier and they were saying that one in ten people sleep with their pet in their bed every night. The presenters were absolutely disgusted :pac:
    I would estimate that at muuuuuch higher. Me thinks a few people are telling fibs and secretly cuddling up to their furries. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

anniehoo wrote: »
    I would estimate that at muuuuuch higher. Me thinks a few people are telling fibs and secretly cuddling up to their furries. :D
    I put the flannel duvet cover on our bed yesterday, Felix came up to bed with us last night and didn't get off the bed til lunchtime today, with the exception of breakfast of course, then he was back on our bed. Cats do like their comforts:)

I usually just wake up with one of my kittens asleep on me, sometimes both :pac:

After not managing to fall asleep until 5am I was less than impressed when my mom called me at 8 when she was going to work, but since both my parents were working I got to sneak all 3 kitties into my bed and go back asleep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Cocolola wrote: »
    ferretone, I'd be interested in hearing how your MIL gets on with the Thundershirt. My lad has separation anxiety and he seems to be getting worse these days. I dropped him off to the daycare centre last week for just an hour but when I collected him the lady said that while he was ok, he was still very anxious and panting, lip licking a lot. She recommended putting him on Kalm Aid to take the edge off and maybe allow him to react better to the desensitising training we're trying to do with him.

He's going to a different daycare now full time as I'm gone back to college and he was whining and shaking this morning when I dropped him off so just wondering if a Thundershirt might help.

Cocolola, judging by how it went with Benny, I'd definitely recommend to give it a try! We used it quite a bit over the few days we were there: he isn't used to so many visitors, and she had my brother-in-law and his fiancee as well as hubby, myself and our dog, so plenty of extra anxiety going on. Not that he doesn't like the people, just so much unaccustomed stuff really puts him over the edge.

The shirt helped loads, and I have to say the time when I noticed the biggest effect of all was when his Kordula (my mother-in-law) went off to town for an hour on an errand in the evening with my hubby, leaving Benny with just me. He went totally librarian-poo, leaping around the room from the door to the bench by the window, whining and panting the whole time. He did that for over 10 minutes, and wasn't settling at all.

So I put the thundershirt on: he actually came running to me when he saw me pick it up, after his previous experience with it. And as soon as it was on, he heaved a big sigh, lay down and settled for pretty much the whole time until they returned! I honestly wouldn't have believed the effect could be that profound until I saw it with my own eyes. I'd really highly recommend giving it a try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Just watching Isabella earlier and as she was grinning out at me (well I like to think that's what was happening!) looking to get out for a run, I noticed her teeth look uneven. Had a proper look and one of her big bottom teeth is cracked. :( :No idea how she managed it, we haven't given her anything harder to gnaw on recently... I'm hoping it doesn't mean she's got cavities or really weakened teeth. She seems to be eating fine and she't not drooling or anything. No weight loss, so hopefully it's just a case of getting them trimmed so they're even again... But it's back to the vet tomorrow with the little scamp it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I've just been up chasing a bat around with a towel. Didn't catch the little fella, he escaped into the hall and is hiding very quietly somewhere. He scared the life outta me, flying around my room at 5am!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

I've just been up chasing a bat around with a towel. Didn't catch the little fella, he escaped into the hall and is hiding very quietly somewhere. He scared the life outta me, flying around my room at 5am!

I'd say it did! I let our pup out to do her business at 6..hoping to go back to bed after...opened the back door, the cat was outside, dog ran over to him, and a bird flew at my head into the kitchen! Cat must have caught the bird and was playing with it. Had to wake OH up to catch the bird. He manged to and put it outside. Poor thing.
    No more sleep for us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

ferretone wrote: »
    Cocolola, judging by how it went with Benny, I'd definitely recommend to give it a try! We used it quite a bit over the few days we were there: he isn't used to so many visitors, and she had my brother-in-law and his fiancee as well as hubby, myself and our dog, so plenty of extra anxiety going on. Not that he doesn't like the people, just so much unaccustomed stuff really puts him over the edge.

The shirt helped loads, and I have to say the time when I noticed the biggest effect of all was when his Kordula (my mother-in-law) went off to town for an hour on an errand in the evening with my hubby, leaving Benny with just me. He went totally librarian-poo, leaping around the room from the door to the bench by the window, whining and panting the whole time. He did that for over 10 minutes, and wasn't settling at all.

So I put the thundershirt on: he actually came running to me when he saw me pick it up, after his previous experience with it. And as soon as it was on, he heaved a big sigh, lay down and settled for pretty much the whole time until they returned! I honestly wouldn't have believed the effect could be that profound until I saw it with my own eyes. I'd really highly recommend giving it a try :)

Thanks for updating ferretone! That's great to hear about Benny. Really interesting. DBB linked me to a video that showed using a bandage to the same effect (thanks DBB!) and I was telling my sister about it and by chance she knows someone who's selling on their Thundershirt so I can get one fairly cheap. Fingers crossed now that it'll help him. Just started him on Zylkene yesterday and have an Adaptil diffuser on the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement