Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Aww what a video!!

Decided today since I can't register as a vet nurse for another year I'm going to do a grooming course and hopefully manage to set up my own studio or at least get a job in a pre existing one, plus it'll be no harm on the aul cv when it comes to applying for nursing jobs! I'll even offer a special discount to all boardsies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Isabella is doing so much better!!! She didn't need to be coaxed out this evening, came out bright eyed and ate baby food and took her antibiotics after a bit of a fight- which i was delighted to see! Even went for a run around the hall on her own choice. So pleased! We were so worried about her. Still are, but at least she's a lot better and stronger looking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Coco has harvest mites:(:(

Saw her scratching her belly yesterday and nibbling at her paws. Got a look at her belly last night and it's all red and bitten:(. It's definitely only since yesterday because she rolls over for belly rubs all the time and I would have seen this. Also would have noticed her scratching and nibbling. I put aloe vera on her belly last night and took her for a swim first thing this morning to drown as many of the little gits as I could. Time for the advocate now. Any other tips on how to manage them? Benson doesn't seem affected at all, (I'll treat him anyway to be on the safe side) although he tends to go round shouting at the birds on the walks whereas madam is down in the ditches.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Poor Coco! :( Is there any chance of a pic to compare with my friend's setter who's itchy atm too but they're not sure what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Keep them dry, they like moist areas.
    There's a wash you can use I think, can't remember the name, hopefully someone else can.
    Poor coco, my two were miserable with them when they got them few years back. They couldn't get comfortable at all.

• Advertisement

I'm sure it's what my friend's guy has - he was miserable as well but I think his problems are diet related too tbh He see's the vet every few months with ear infections and his body/paws being itchy. Vet throws anti-inflams at him so firefighting instead of looking for the root cause

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

How's Coco since BLM?

We got a foster today, a little female yorkie. Its bizarre she has Tilly's body and Ozzie's face. She a lovely little thing but so terrified of everything. She has had pups too at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

toadfly wrote: »
    How's Coco since BLM?

We got a foster today, a little female yorkie. Its bizarre she has Tilly's body and Ozzie's face. She a lovely little thing but so terrified of everything. She has had pups too at some stage.

She seems a bit better this morning. We were away all day at a wedding and when I got home last night she didn't seem to be scratching anywhere near as much but was still red. So I slathered on more aloe vera to see would it help and this morning she's nowhere near as red. On Thursday evening she was very clingy, giving us the eyes, almost telling us she was uncomfortable but she's much more relaxed this morning.

If it flares up again I'll get a photo, but I hope not. Hows Lexi today?

I'm laying in bed trying to decide how long I can stay here?
    Dogs and cats are here too, but downstairs is infested!
    We're hiding, but someone will need to go outside soon.

It's a bad one, noisy too, eating everything in sight...

8 teenagers, Star Wars marathon, and I think they just started ROTJ, may be here a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Save yourself. Stay where you are, furry animals invading their space may be accepted. An oulwan definitely not :D

• Advertisement

An oul wan! The cheek!

They finished the Star Wars marathon, so since they aren't leaving for a while yet, and they asked for a zombie movie, I gave them Braindead to watch:D

I'm off to walk the dogs, the squealing and laughing is getting to much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

From my understanding of the teenage mind, anyone over 20 is an oulwan ;)

Two very tired doggies! We went to the dspca walk in the phoenix park this morning. We had to park a bit further away than I would have liked but Lucy was fine and only needed to be carried twice near the end. She had admirers coming over to her the whole time and stalls etc asking if they could take photos of her - which she loved lol! :p We got a free puzzle as well since Bailey was so good at it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Just felt like posting about the dog of that poor woman, Peggy Mangan. Reports indicate that Casper stayed by her side. Absolutely heartbreaking on so many levels.
    Mad to think we mean as much to them as they do to us. I'll be hugging my pair a little harder tonight.

Kablamo! wrote: »
    Just felt like posting about the dog of that poor woman, Peggy Mangan. Reports indicate that Casper stayed by her side. Absolutely heartbreaking on so many levels.
    Mad to think we mean as much to them as they do to us. I'll be hugging my pair a little harder tonight.

There was tons of people gathered in the Phoenix park this morning to hand out flyers and loads all over the area (I'm in Glasnevin) very touching to see to see so many people out volunteering to look for her - shops in finglas acting as meeting points, posting on FB etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hows Lexi today?

She is great again, thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Kablamo! wrote: »

Unfortunately, just heard that Casper died 3 hours after they found Peggy. Absolutely incredible loyalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We've got a bit of a strange situation with a neighbours cat. It's a beautiful tabby don't know if male/female. It discovered the applaws kibble in our kitchen during the summer and is refusing to go away. But the really strange bit is that every time and I do mean every time it comes around, a magpie goes absolutely mental:eek:.

I always know when the cats around as I can here the magpie making a racket out the back. Puss realised the cat flap was open for Toby and we always knew it'd been in when we'd come down in the morning and there wouldn't be a single nut left in the food bowl. We've got the flap on open mode so it swings easily to teach Toby to use it but he won't, and Puss just saunters in the flap:rolleyes:

Bosses little dog that got parvovirus has recovered, she just arrived home!
    So happy, she's such a sweet little pup. Her brother is still very ill, hope he'll be ok too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

There was a stray calf outside my house earlier, he disappeared, and the farmer that owns him, and I couldn't find him. My dogs were just barking, I opened the front door to find him standing in the front garden looking at me. I love living in the middle of nowhere. Kept him safe until the farmer turned up, and he's back in with his Mum now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Having some pain in the joints in one of my hands the last few days and Poppy, who is usually more of a face-kisser than a hand-licker has been licking my hands - particularly the sore bits. Funny the things they pick up on!

Things with Sylbs are going slowly but surely. He comes right into the house now (about 4 meters in) to eat his dinner, but has a great radar for if you're planning on closing the door behind him and legs it. He'll sit right beside me to eat, as well. Or He'll lay down with his paws tucked under his chest and listen to my chatter to him, just no touching allowed. Poor Monkey.

Thinking of re-purchasing Feliway. We had it plugged in beside the front door when we moved here/adopted Poppy and it really helped Cinnamon settle down almost immediately. I wonder would it help Sylby.

They always seem to know if people are in pain. My mum has arthritis in her knee and their cat always seemed to know when it was flaring up on her. He'd go over to her sit on that knee and purr. Then the pain would ease. He was a great old chap, lived to a good old age and had just shown up out of nowhere as a kitten.

I just got another Feliway refill today for the living room, Poppy's had the run of the house until bedtime since Friday and is bossing the boys around since she got out of her room. I think they make a big difference. I often get them from Nutrecare online as it's much cheaper than buying in Ireland. I got the latest one from Zooplus.uk for 15 sterling zooplus.ie are looking for 29.99 and calling it a bargain:eek:

It's good to hear that he's venturing indoors.

Good to know about that bargain pumpkinseeds, thanks, might be needing one ourselves soon. ;)

Still tired after the teen invasion, and that awful dull weather today just made it worse, going to have an early night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

That's a great price on the Feliway! It's funny to think of your Poppy bossing around the boys because they all look so much bigger than her.

Had a great meal time with Sylby just there - my OH had picked up cooked chicken from the supermarket and we had Sylbs eating out of our hands :D:D The first few time he was using his paws to take it from us then he got really brave and used his mouth. After it was gone (he demolished an entire packet) I held out my hand to him and he reached out and held my fingers and sniffed my hands all over. Feel like we're making real progress with taming him :)

That's a great price on the Feliway! It's funny to think of your Poppy bossing around the boys because they all look so much bigger than her.

Had a great meal time with Sylby just there - my OH had picked up cooked chicken from the supermarket and we had Sylbs eating out of our hands :D:D The first few time he was using his paws to take it from us then he got really brave and used his mouth. After it was gone (he demolished an entire packet) I held out my hand to him and he reached out and held my fingers and sniffed my hands all over. Feel like we're making real progress with taming him :)

Ahh there ya go, cooked chicken fixes everything:D She is much smaller than them but she growls at them instead of going into stand off fighting mode like a male cat would and it confuses them. Although Felix had a bloody good growl and hissy spitty session at her earlier. He hates when my husbands shift pattern changes.

I think she's got a split personality, one minute she wants to bump noses with Jazzy the next she's growling at him, right now she's stolen his basket in our room:rolleyes: She found our bed the first night we let her out of the safe room, she does love a good bed :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its about 2 months until the 1-year-anniversary of rescuing Josh and I'm planning on writing up the year then!

Things have been mostly good, to be honest, we've settled into a sort of arrangement which we can both live with even though occasionally he will do something he knows damned well is bold and will leg it with an air of "I regret nothing!!"
    The nights he falls asleep in my lap make up for it.

He's only about 20 months old we guess and he is still very puppyish. He can be bolshie and pushy and gets frustrated when he doesnt get what he wants but as my mate says "yeah, then there's your dog!!". We are quite alike that way and I've learned a lot from him over the year.

We've a few mountains to climb yet (and I'm looking forward to when he doesnt have to bark at EVERYTHING) but I've managed to keep him healthy and happy so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

DeVore wrote: »
    We've a few mountains to climb yet (and I'm looking forward to when he doesnt have to bark at EVERYTHING) but I've managed to keep him healthy and happy so far :)

Are you IN LOVE yet??? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Took all night but I've developed my own personal algorithm for Amazon Subscribe and Save so that my greyhound girl can have a decent dry food every morning (Skinners Field and Trial) and a good wet food (Naturediet or Forthglade) every evening, for €40 a month. And she'll have a varied diet of fresh fish, lamb, rabbit, turkey, chicken and tripe with veggies and a bit of rice and duck meal thrown in. :D

Of course I could never do it with two dogs, but now that I have only one... :o

And she gets all the goodies to herself too, like the bottom of the natural yoghurt pot, all the cabbage water, the bottom of the cottage cheese pot, and a bisha porridge in the morning. Living the dream, she is! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Josie living the dream:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Ooh would ya look at her!! She looks a right character boomerang! What a lucky girl she is :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement