Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Sylby was inside having a nap today!!!
    Came home from work and decided to cook a late dinner and Sylbs turned up at the back door so I put Pops and Cinnamon in the hallway and kept the backdoor open while I cooked (and froze, jeepers it's cold!) and Sylbs wandered in and out, not minding me too much. Opened the door for him again while I done my dishes because he put on his saddest face when I shut the door and just now I stood on the other side of the kitchen island while he wandered in an explored the kitchen, almost venturing into the dining room. He lay down about a half meter inside the door and tucked his paws under his chest and went to sleep until Cinnamon started hanging off the door handle to come in herself.
    Got a super cute video of him standing on his hind legs playing with the dials on the washing machine.
    Still can't pat him, but he bops my fingers with his nose and will put his paw on the glass when I press my hand on it.
    He's also grown SO big, he must have been young enough when he started to visit us.

Anyway this has all completely made my night and I'm so happy I wanted to share :P :o :pac: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

Myself and my boyfriend decided three weeks ago to adopt a kitten in about 5 weeks time. I am TOO excited. I already have a wishlist made out on zooplus.ie totalling €166 for all the "essentials"... :rolleyes:

He was on the way home from work last night near 2am and spotted a tiny grey kitten wandering around the streets (scarily similar to what ours will look like) so I ran down in my pjs with some kitten food (which I had pre-bought for our kitty!) and water and a towel and we sat with her in the freezing cold for an hour.

She eventually came and ate next to us and after about 45 minutes allowed me to pet her. We really wanted to take her inside our place to give her a nice warm place to stay for the night with food and water but she decided to just eat the free food and scamper off! We left the rest of the food and water in bowls in a corner and my boyfriend said he noticed more gone when he passed the area earlier today, and he's going to keep an eye out for her on the way home tonight.

I started crying when we came inside last night as I felt so bad for the poor little girl/boy, and my boyfriend laughed and said I've too big a heart and gave me a hug. I cry FAR too easily lately! :P

Anyway, it made me feel all the better about adopting our little one as I have never had a cat/kitten but my boyfriend has. I'm just looking forward to giving her a loving home forever. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Sylby was inside having a nap today!!!
    Came home from work and decided to cook a late dinner and Sylbs turned up at the back door so I put Pops and Cinnamon in the hallway and kept the backdoor open while I cooked (and froze, jeepers it's cold!) and Sylbs wandered in and out, not minding me too much. Opened the door for him again while I done my dishes because he put on his saddest face when I shut the door and just now I stood on the other side of the kitchen island while he wandered in an explored the kitchen, almost venturing into the dining room. He lay down about a half meter inside the door and tucked his paws under his chest and went to sleep until Cinnamon started hanging off the door handle to come in herself.
    Got a super cute video of him standing on his hind legs playing with the dials on the washing machine.
    Still can't pat him, but he bops my fingers with his nose and will put his paw on the glass when I press my hand on it.
    He's also grown SO big, he must have been young enough when he started to visit us.

Anyway this has all completely made my night and I'm so happy I wanted to share :P :o :pac: :)
    That is so so brilliant, the cold weather is a very motivating factor, before you know it he'll be zonked out on you're favourite chair

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I entered a competition a while back where you name a guide dog pup and are entered into a draw, I just won a 6 month supply of Royal Canin cat food :D Though with my 3 savages it will probably only last half that time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Wow congratulations. Just goes to show it is worth entering competitions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Are pigsback still doing those discount vouchers for the pet expo in the rds? Cant seem to find it on there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Are pigsback still doing those discount vouchers for the pet expo in the rds? Cant seem to find it on there

http://offers.pigsback.com/offer/96889?utm_source=DailyAlert&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=20131009

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I took Poppy out to the front garden with me today, it's the first time she's been out there and of course she took off up the street through all the neigbhours gardens. She's a nosy little madam, jumping up on window ledges looking in at them.

She totally ignored me calling her and I had to lure her home with an open tin of salmon, I must have looked nuts following a cat up the street calling her with a tin of salmon in my hands waving it at her to sniff:D We're working against the clock getting her used to the neighbourhood as we're supposed to be away for a weekend to see Depeche Mode next month and a relative of mine will be coming in to feed and play with them a few times a day. I'm just so worried she'll get lost when we're away:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Poor cat on the Late Late, gah! What do people be thinking?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Pumpkinseeds, She seems to be settling in well, fingers crossed for you that she gets the lay of the land quickly. It's an awful worry leaving them, I know.

Oliver is sulking 'cos I won't let him sleep in daughters room, he normally doesn't sleep in there but she's had an op and is layed up in bed very sore. I'm just afraid he might jump on the bed and hurt her, he's been laying beside her all day, any chance he got. He keeps pacing the hall and sighing!

Kitten getting brave here, she has been following big cats around during her time mixing with everyone. Toby slapped her for chasing him tonight, might do her good, she's been slapping everyone else for days. Poor Tiffi is avoiding her now.

Cat on the late late? What did I miss?

The controversy over the love/hate cat being shot, they had her on the late late show tonight and she escaped from Tubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Yep, the cat that was used in that scene in Love/Hate made an appearance on the Late Late. A hoot, so it was. Poor cat was freaked out by the lights, the clapping and laughing... Jumped out of Ryan's arms and Hhad to be retrieved from behind the set by one of the techies. All for a few cheap laughs. And hey, the cat's owner is enjoying the notoriety, right? Bah!

boomerang wrote: »
    Yep, the cat that was used in that scene in Love/Hate made an appearance on the Late Late. A hoot, so it was. Poor cat was freaked out by the lights, the clapping and laughing... Jumped out of Ryan's arms and Hhad to be retrieved from behind the set by one of the techies. All for a few cheap laughs. And hey, the cat's owner is enjoying the notoriety, right? Bah!

If it had been one of mine (Toby) he would have been disembowelled!
    Stupid thing to do with a live audience.

Due to insomnia I am up this late dying laughing at this video. Thought you guys would appreciate it!

mymo wrote: »
    If it had been one of mine (Toby) he would have been disembowelled!
    Stupid thing to do with a live audience.

It's all publicity for the show so RTE making a big deal out if it! Sick and tired of hearing about it all week on the radio tbh. My back is still really sore but I'm adamant that I'm not going to end up at the vhi clinic to be lol'd at like what happened when puppy Bailey crippled me lol! :p

Little miss princess kitten (daughter says she won't come to Isabelle so may need a new name...again) is turning into a cheeky madam!
    She shredded loo rolls, beat up both dogs, and woke poor jake with a slap, then today I pick her up for a cuddle, she demanded, and when she got fed up she slapped me in the face!

Toby and her have had a run in or two and amazingly have come to a truce, and will pass each other and stay in the same room. Jake just slapped her back, he's had enough, she walks up to his face and growls.

She's really a funny little thing, growing like mad, she's not even here two weeks yet.

We really are going to have to settle on a name though.

I know what you mean mymo. Poppy is a little madam, in fact I seem to be calling her madam a lot lately when reprimanding her:) The boys run from her, Jazzy and Toby are around the 6 kilo mark, Felix, well we won't go there, and she's 3.5 kilos so tiny in comparison.

She just had a go at Felix trying to come in the catflap earlier, all hissing and whacking at the flap. He's bewildered and Toby runs for the door every morning when he sees her when I let her out of her room . She's much more demanding then them in a lot of ways but she's adorable. I took her out the front today for a while and she's still trying to snoop on people, she jumps on window ledges and puts her nose against the glass:D

So Sylbs is inside. He was eating his dinner in the kitchen and I had something tied around the back door handle and shut it without him realising. He had a run around of the lounge/kitchen/dining room and is now in the spare room chilling in a little cave I made for him.
    I feel bad for doing it this way, but with the cold weather he's sitting pressed up against the doors/windows all night and (I kid not) banging the front door all night to come in and then with halloween/fireworks time coming up I didn't want him outside with all that potential fear/danger.
    He's fairly settled after that initial shock. No hissing or growling or even tensing up from him, he's just giving me sullen looks. I've left him to it so he can explore/nap/eat/enjoy actually being warm for a change and I'll check him again before bed.

Honerbright if he gets too stressed out ask your vet for Zylkene or you can buy it online. It's a natural product for calming dogs/cats/horses and is non addictive. We put Felix back on it lately and it is amazing for calming them down. It just seems to take the edge off stressful situations and they aren't drowsy or anything like that.

Delighted he's indoors couldn't be a better time of the year to be off the streets:)

• Advertisement

My dad got up at 4am after hearing noises and thinking someone was stealing his ladders outside.. Turns out it was just dude digging in the sink and knocking the basin around :pac:

Myself and my OH worked all day so Sylbs was left alone since last night except for the quick check this morning.
    Went in to him after work and he'd eaten all his food and pee'd in the litter box. Delighted!
    He's in the corner between the bad and the wall but happily took chicken from my hands and ate it. Still no tension/growling/hissing out of him, he seems reasonably settled all things considered.
    Cinnamon was sitting at the window looking for him this morning though.. she's in for a surprise when she finds out what's going on :P

We got new dog treats in at work, I was all excited to see the new stock cause there were new toys, but the treats include lambs ears, chicken feet and cow hooves. I guess it's good that no part of the animals are going to waste, but I was super icked out.

Found a tooth this morning in Lucy's bed! We'll have to start freezing all her little chew things eg her nylabone "car keys" as we call them lol! I was complimented on her muscle tone yesterday - can't wait to go back to the vets for our free 6 month puppy check and ask if she's got "a slight frame with less muscle tone than a dog fed Hills-complete-diet" :rolleyes:

Felix's 'do not feed me' tag arrived today, along with Poppys little red tag with a heart. Hopefully whoever's feeding him will stop now. Toby spent the night on our bed with me, I was on my husbands side, they always want my side of the bed for some reason. Felix wasn't happy when he found him there in the early hours. The flannel duvet cover was too snug for Toby to give up though:)

Poppys a bit of a head wrecker with trying to get out still. She's very nervous when we let her out, but we're always behind her watching her. She batters the flap to get out and races to the doors everytime one of us leaves a room. We're still having to keep the flap on vet mode so that means having to shut her in one room while we open the door to let whichever of the 3 chaps rattling the flap out:(

Oh think I might have to get sugar baby Lucy a rain coat lol - she got soaked this morning and went straight to her bed when we got home! I have a small coat somewhere in the house that would fit her - i know the second she gets too big for it it'll turn up!:pac:

So glad we bought Sylbs in, the weather last night was horrible!
    He's a bit on the skinny side, particularly around the tail area is a bit bony. He's been doing super well though, he doesn't like to explore his room a lot but he loves belly rubs and being scratched behind his ears... he turns into a real purr machine :D
    It's interesting to watch the way he plays with the bird-on-rope compared to the way Cinnamon (who has been an indoor cat most her life) does. Cinny will catch something and actually play with it... Sylbs catches something and puts a paw on it to hold it down then tries to pull it apart :eek:.
    We had to move him to the bathroom last night though as he had two accidents in the spare room on the bed, the second of which soaked into the mattress :eek:
    He's a bit of a cold though, his nose is a bit blocked and so this morning he let me clean it out with warm water and a cotton bud with no complaints. So because he can't smell his food he hasn't eaten breakfast today or dinner last night (eating all his meals up till then) but he did take a small bit of chicken today. I'll get a syringe in town to make sure he gets some fluids in to him.

Feline Plasma cell pododermatitis (Pillow Foot), is appartently what is going on with Poppy's paws. We had Felix in for his check up and Poppy had her 2nd vaccinations so we got our vet to take a look at her paws. I knew something was odd. She manages really well, is an acrobat when she plays, but when she lands on the ground she holds one of her paws for a second or 2.

So glad we bought Sylbs in, the weather last night was horrible!
    He's a bit on the skinny side, particularly around the tail area is a bit bony. He's been doing super well though, he doesn't like to explore his room a lot but he loves belly rubs and being scratched behind his ears... he turns into a real purr machine :D
    It's interesting to watch the way he plays with the bird-on-rope compared to the way Cinnamon (who has been an indoor cat most her life) does. Cinny will catch something and actually play with it... Sylbs catches something and puts a paw on it to hold it down then tries to pull it apart :eek:.
    We had to move him to the bathroom last night though as he had two accidents in the spare room on the bed, the second of which soaked into the mattress :eek:
    He's a bit of a cold though, his nose is a bit blocked and so this morning he let me clean it out with warm water and a cotton bud with no complaints. So because he can't smell his food he hasn't eaten breakfast today or dinner last night (eating all his meals up till then) but he did take a small bit of chicken today. I'll get a syringe in town to make sure he gets some fluids in to him.
    Maybe try some stinky stuff like fish. I've been hiding Felix's antibiotics and metacam in the brine from tuna or tinned red salmon. Usually they only get tinned fish once a week but getting his meds into him, this is the lesser of 2 evils. I've also heard people recommend heating the food slightly to increase the smell when it's lukewarm. I hope he's feeling better soon.

We very nearly lost Peach today... she was fast asleep inside my Dad's trailer, and he came back to the house to collect it without noticing the cat inside. Luckily she woke up and jumped out as he was driving out the driveway!! :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement

I've never heard of Feline Plasma cell pododermatitis before! Poor Poppy, at least it doesn't sound like it's affecting her quality of life badly. Is there anything the vet can do for her?

Got some cat milk into him, first via syringe (syringes were only 10c in boots, thought that was great) and then I put it in a bowl and held it up to him and he went mad for it. I got him some tinned tuna, some mackeral and also some roast chicken baby food (few sites online recommended it). He's no real interest in the food, but i'll give him a few more hours before I worry too much about that. I have the hot water tank on so I can run how water in the bathroom shortly because I read that steam can help ease congestion. I sat with him for a while earlier but I don't want to stress him out too much with me sitting there so I'm checking him hourly and wiping his eyes/nose and clearing any of the dried snot away.
    Will make a vets appointment for friday if there's no improvement tomorrow, but I really hope he'll be feeling better by then.

Does anyone know a kind of average of how much water/fluid he should be taking in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement