Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I seen a notice at work today for a card game in the local on friday, third prize: box of biscuits, second prize: bottle of wine, first prize: year old 'pie-ball' foal (there spelling not mine). I had to read it a few times to make sure I was reading it right. Is it even legal to give out animals as prizes? :eek: What happens if someone that doesn't want the foal wins. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Zapperzy wrote: »
    I seen a notice at work today for a card game in the local on friday, third prize: box of biscuits, second prize: bottle of wine, first prize: year old 'pie-ball' foal (there spelling not mine). I had to read it a few times to make sure I was reading it right. Is it even legal to give out animals as prizes? :eek: What happens if someone that doesn't want the foal wins. :confused:
    There was a simillar issue with a GAA club giving a pedigree pup as a prize last year. A huge facebook complaint made them withdraw the dog, and rightly so. Maybe something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Any chance you could vote for Cooper for me in this? Its to win a portrait. Thanks so much!! Hes number 3, the rottie pup in the snow.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.618027511592108.1073741828.104012089660322&type=1

All you have to do is press "Like" on the photo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

andreac wrote: »
    Any chance you could vote for Cooper for me in this? Its to win a portrait. Thanks so much!! Hes number 3, the rottie pup in the snow.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.618027511592108.1073741828.104012089660322&type=1

All you have to do is press "Like" on the photo.

Done - he's fab!
    Beautiful photos on there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Free Xmas dinner including desert in work... Stuffed and feeling sleepy lol! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I got all my wisdom teeth out yesterday so I'm over staying with my mam for a few days to recover. I miss my kittys :(

:D Lucy came to hydro with us tonight for a swimming lesson and was going after the toys all relaxed!

My god, I'm surprised my dogs aren't bald considering the amount of hair I have just hoovered up from around the house:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We have a cat like that angeldaisy, no matter how much we brush him he still sheds like mad, I'm amazed there's any cat left after going over him with the furminator!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Our little kitten really likes to get a rub and a cuddle after he's been to the litter tray. Sadly, he likes to dig in the tray like he is hiding Aztec gold so he comes out just STINKING.

Get away from me you smelly thing. ;_;

Stop being cute!

reallyrose wrote: »
    Our little kitten really likes to get a rub and a cuddle after he's been to the litter tray. Sadly, he likes to dig in the tray like he is hiding Aztec gold so he comes out just STINKING.

Get away from me you smelly thing. ;_;

Stop being cute!

Thank god Lucy has finally gotten some sense and her are a bit longer that's she's not a peepee pants anymore! :p

When we were out on a walk earlier - well getting blown around the dunes she was running by and we realised that her tail had unfolded! :D (Retriever's tails start off with the hair curling around them not hanging down)

Just wondering if anyone else's pets are refusing to leave the house today??

Mine are! Rusty hates the wind and her ladyship loathes getting wet, at least that means I don't have to go out in it! Plenty of chases round the house are in order:)

Felix and Poppy aren't budging out into the rain. Don't know where Toby is, Felix attacked him again at 4am and he's vanished since then.:(

Felix and Poppy aren't budging out into the rain. Don't know where Toby is, Felix attacked him again at 4am and he's vanished since then.:(

Oh no hope he shows up!

Coming down with a cold! Boooo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

wow. i have only just noticed the issue going on in limerick with regards to the feral cats. good on you guys for fighting this, i haven't read it fully yet due to time but god i hope the tesco crowd feck off

:( We lost Lucy's xmas bandana earlier (well the only one of Bailey's that wasn't a boy color :p).. Didn't think of checking back thru photos (I was testing out a new camera) until I came home and we were only a few mins away from where I think she lost it when we realized it was gone at the end of a long walk. An off lead husky with NO BLOODY RECALL was harassing her and flooring her non stop so must have been then - owner miles away calling her and being ignored. Now if that was either of my dogs runnink amok like that I know I'd be read the riot act! GAH!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

So I've been thinking about making up a little parcel of dog toys and leaving it on the doorstep of a house up the road and signing it 'From Santa Paws'. Would that be really weird? :/
    I don't really know the owners, we've only spoken a handful of times, but I know the wee dog.. she's a little escape artist, same breed as Poppy and a few months younger. She's always getting out of her (fenced in) yard and trotting around the street, often coming into our yard to have a chat to Poppy or greet me on my way to/from work.

I was in Dunnes today and picked up a mat for .80c that you put outside the cat litter tray and it's supposed to collect the litter from their paws to stop it from getting tracked all over the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

That's a brilliant idea. I'd love that!

We had a neighbour in Essex who used to put her cat out when she went to work every morning and she often wouldn't get back until very late most nights. The cat had nowhere to go and no real shelter, she wouldn't come in to us. The poor little cat was always getting beaten up by a pair of cats from another neighbours house. I used to see them going looking to hassle her when they were let out for a bit.

Anyway one year Santa wrapped up a catflap and left it outside her back door on Christmas Eve. The catflap was installed and puss didn't have to live under a bush anymore:)

• Advertisement

There's a cat that's been visiting us the last few days and hanging around our back door at random times. We've been feeding her and letting her in to the kitchen for a few minutes each time with the door left open. I've also started just leaving food outside the back door in case she calls and we don't see. She's a fairly plump belly so I don't think she's a stray. She doesn't appear to be very well looked after though :( no collar. Dirty eyes. Dirty coat. Not being brushed. she's a little purr monster and very friendly

Ahh, poor little thing, at least she's found a kind food supplier:)

We had a scary few minutes this afternoon. My husband went up to play with Molly then called me to say he couldn't find her:eek: After looking under everything in the room I remembered her little hidey spot under the bath towel covering a large pet crate in the room. She loves to curl up underneath the end of the towel.

I was lying down on the floor with her earlier this evening and she was lying above my head, I'd stroke her face and she'd stretch out a paw and stroke my face. She's just adorable:)

Ahh, poor little thing, at least she's found a kind food supplier:)

I figure if she wasn't hungry she wouldn't be eating. I know some people can get annoyed when you feed their pet but for all we know she's lost or a stray and I hate to think of any animal being out there hungry especially in this weather :( It's hard to tell! We cooked a ham earlier so she left with a belly full of ham after loads of rubs :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Bleeeeeeeeeeh frustrated. :(

A good friend in Melbourne is looking to adopt a dog. She's been browsing the rescue sites and has done that thing where you fall in love with a photograph. I've warned her the reality may be very different and she says she accepts that.

The other thing is the rescue the dog is in - it's the Lost Dogs Home Melbourne, which has a MASSIVE kill rate in their pound. Their manager, Graeme Smith, is also vehemently anti-pitbull and has been instrumental in promoting breed hysteria in Victoria, where they introduced BSL a couple of years ago in response to an attack on a child (by a dog that wasn't a pitbull).

I dislike LDH intensely and I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. Friend has been texting me saying 'I wish you were here' so I could help her out in what to look out for etc. I gave her full disclosure on the LDH and told her if she's feeling remotely uncomfortable, or feels herself saying '...oh' at any point, she needs to walk away. She says the dog is in their adoption plan instead of on death row, so if she weren't taking him he'd still have opportunities to find a home.

I feel sad because I know how it feels to make that connection, even with a photograph. Jesus, I have seven pets because I've made that connection so many times when I worked in foster and with rescues. I've also connected to photographs and never went any further than that. I've donated cash to underdogs but stopped short of taking them into my home. At this stage I'm older and wiser about it - I have the pets I can cope with. If I brought in anything else it would be a small adult dog who really needed a break and who was also a very good fit with my existing pets.

I suppose what makes me most sad is I'd love to say to her 'I wouldn't adopt a dog from there. I wouldn't support them. I wouldn't give them my cash. I wouldn't contribute to their methods. I wouldn't associate myself with their ethos'. But she's so in love with this photo of this dog, all that would be is a bolt-load of judgey judgemental judgement and she'd end up upset. She describes the dog as 'the only dog I've seen that has really grabbed me'.

Also I can't fault her choice - she's picked this derpy-looking 10 year old heartbreak-hound (a dog that you'll take into your home and he'll break your heart) and she's convinced that she's the one who has to save him.

...I think it's all going to end in tears. :(

(Though naturally I hope it doesn't and it's a good outcome for everyone.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

wrote:
    I think it's all going to end in tears. :(
    I'm not clear on what you're worrying about. You haven't mentioned a bad thing about either your friend or the dog, only the place the dog is coming from.

You've said yourself you fell in love with a photo. Feck it, I fell in love with just a description a few months ago with a cat.

We are all having issues for whatever reason with organisations, but at the end of the day forget about that and focus on the important bit.

Is this 10 year old dog going to have a good "rest of it's life"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Dude was crying in his crate for the last half hour and I was so worried that he was in pain, or needed to be expressed more or was hungry or generally fed up... Nope the little fecker wanted to be taken out so he could knead and drool on me. Guess we're both sleeping on the couch tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

anniehoo wrote: »
    I'm not clear on what you're worrying about. You haven't mentioned a bad thing about either your friend or the dog, only the place the dog is coming from.

You've said yourself you fell in love with a photo. Feck it, I fell in love with just a description a few months ago with a cat.

We are all having issues for whatever reason with organisations, but at the end of the day forget about that and focus on the important bit.

Is this 10 year old dog going to have a good "rest of it's life"?

I don't trust the establishment to be 100% honest, I suppose. As it stands she did indeed take him home and he is *HAPPY OUT* to be home with her. That's pretty ace :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Going to foster a little yorkie for christmas. Her name is nelly which might have to change when we already have a nelson who is sometimes called nelly! She has a collapsed trachea. Does anyone have any experience with this? Vet said there nothing they can do and it could heal on it's own. She's being spayed this week so will be getting second opinion. I've never had a small dog before so should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Collapsing trachea can heal? I did not know that!
    What age is this little lady?
    Congratulations in any case!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement