Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Just back from the vet with Bertie.

Eye still watery/red or brown discharge but nothing the vet could see again. 3rd time having it examined.

Ears filthy. Was very upset having the ointment put in. Cut his own ear badly. Quite a bit of blood about and clumps of hair.

His back teeth and tonsils are inflamed. Either FIV (blood test taken) or a recurring condition that will need treated each time.

I'm emotionally spent. Very distressing to see him so upset.

Worst is the prospect of doing his ears in 3 days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Well op went well, very tender as bowel he said was badly damaged, he took about two feet of material out of her. Said it will take a while for her bowel to recover, so hopefully she will be able to come home tomorrow.

Lord know's what the bill will be like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

RubyGirl wrote: »
    he took about two feet of material out of her

:eek:
    What had she eaten?
    Bloody hell! Still, great she's out the other side of it now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Morf wrote: »
    Just back from the vet with Bertie.

Eye still watery/red or brown discharge but nothing the vet could see again. 3rd time having it examined.

Ears filthy. Was very upset having the ointment put in. Cut his own ear badly. Quite a bit of blood about and clumps of hair.

His back teeth and tonsils are inflamed. Either FIV (blood test taken) or a recurring condition that will need treated each time.

I'm emotionally spent. Very distressing to see him so upset.

Worst is the prospect of doing his ears in 3 days time.
    It's awful when they're sick. Our cat Felix arrived with a very large polyps growing out of one of his ears. He was only about a year old and it had grown down through his bone. That was 5 years ago and he's still getting flare ups of infection as they can't get the root of the polyp. He's been on antibiotics for months and hates having ear drops. It does make you feel guilty when they're so stressed, but the main thing is that you remind yourself that what you're doing is in their best interest. Hope it all works out for Bertie, fingers crossed.

DBB wrote: »
    :eek:
    What had she eaten?
    Bloody hell! Still, great she's out the other side of it now :)

Ya little devil, she was kennelled for 4 days over christmas and picked her up Friday, sick Sat. I'd say she was chewing on the bedding, I told him to hold onto it and I'll have a look and see can I recognize it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

We finished off the Christmas ham today and of course my OH just left the bag it was in on the kitchen counter. Coco kept pawing his leg for some so he gave her a little bit but that wasn't enough. She's not normally a counter surfer but very slowly, stealthily and deathly quietly stole the bag off the counter and tried to creep away with it, except we were watching her, with us trying not to laugh because it's so not like her. Benson was right behind her almost mentally encouraging her to do it, and when we walked towards her, HE gave the guilty paw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

So we were back at the vet again today, we finally found the culprit of the tiny puddles that have been left on the landing lately, through a process of elimination.
    Tiffi has an infection, brought on by trying to pass stones. She passed one that was about 0.5cm last night, so off to vet this morning. She's on antibiotics to clear infection and now we need to change her diet.vet said there is kidney food may help, but getting plenty of fluids into her to lower urine ph would be best, so looks like wet food diet for Tiffi.
    Any advice welcome.

No wonder vet gave me a card and bottle of wine at Christmas, I must be keeping him going 8 or 9 visits in 3 months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

We finished off the Christmas ham today and of course my OH just left the bag it was in on the kitchen counter. Coco kept pawing his leg for some so he gave her a little bit but that wasn't enough. She's not normally a counter surfer but very slowly, stealthily and deathly quietly stole the bag off the counter and tried to creep away with it, except we were watching her, with us trying not to laugh because it's so not like her. Benson was right behind her almost mentally encouraging her to do it, and when we walked towards her, HE gave the guilty paw!!

Blue and Umi went ballistic for the Christmas ham too :D When my oh took the ham out of the fridge to give them a bit I could hear Blue whinging and crying from the other side of the house until she got some :pac:

So, gave Tiffi her first tablet of 10 this morning, took 4 goes to get it into her.
    Small dog, huge tablets, and she's such a dainty eater, and a suspicious little bitch.
    I had to give both dogs something, hers with tablet hidden, or she wasn't going to eat it, she chewed then spat out full tablet.
    Finally settled on sticking the tablet in a lump of peanut butter and wrapping it in a small bit of chorizo!
    This is going to be a fun 5 days!

On the upside, her wet food breakfast was scoffed down!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bailey spits out his tablets too! I have these soft joint treats that we use to mould them around the pill. His are tiny because he gets the pill split into 2 doses but still spits it out if it's not concealed. :p

• Advertisement

Funny thing is Oliver would just take it out of your hand and swallow it in one go!
    He does that with worming tablets, but not madam!

Rubygirl, how's your girl today?

mymo wrote: »
    Funny thing is Oliver would just take it out of your hand and swallow it in one go!
    He does that with worming tablets, but not madam!

Rubygirl, how's your girl today?

Hope to collect her at 3, all depends if she's eats, would'nt eat for them this morning so trying her again during the day. Would'nt mind but she loves her food.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Nala swallows any tablet except the wormer thats supposed to taste nice and be easy to give!

mymo wrote: »
    So, gave Tiffi her first tablet of 10 this morning, took 4 goes to get it into her.
    Small dog, huge tablets, and she's such a dainty eater, and a suspicious little bitch.
    I had to give both dogs something, hers with tablet hidden, or she wasn't going to eat it, she chewed then spat out full tablet.
    Finally settled on sticking the tablet in a lump of peanut butter and wrapping it in a small bit of chorizo!
    This is going to be a fun 5 days!

On the upside, her wet food breakfast was scoffed down!
    With our dogs we always used to hide the tablet in a Kimberley jam mallow biscuit. Just lift the mallow up and hide the tablet under it, because the biscuit is so soft they almost swallow it in one go. With the cats I crush pills in a pestle and mortar and stir the powder into tuna or something whiffy.

Must try something like that, but she's small and even something really tasty is gently taken, brought off somewhere and slowly and daintily eaten!

They do rather like the Kimberly biscuits with the 2 gingers biscuits with mallow between, they ate a whole packet on my daughter and her friends during their Star Wars movie marathon.

Would she take it crushed up into something mushy and tasty? I know it was a nightmare with Felix at first but we had to put weight concerns last in his case and just get the pills into him in, via any food he'd eat. Getting pills into him 3 times a day would've been impossible to do in normal wet food, so he got a lot of tinned tuna or tinned salmon, the wild red pacific salmon mind you, he wouldn't give the pink stuff the time of day. Thankfully Lidl are very cheap for the tuna and red salmon.

Sandy's home thank God, looking very skinny and wearing the cone of shame. She's in good form and starving. Thanks.

Welcome home Sandy, hope she makes a quick recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Hope everyone had/is having a good christmas/new year :) Santa was very good to charlie, bunty and jesse :D Charlie had a field day opening presents on christmas morning, imagine his excitement to find a toy with 16 squeakers! Jesse got a rather snazzy looking jumper and discovered the joys of lying in front of a blazing fire on new years eve :D

1522965_10152172348673982_1055491892_o_zpscd08f4cf.jpg
    1536681_10152172359498982_1969217627_n_zpsaadb1050.jpg
    IMG_4829_zpsfb1206da.jpg

She also knocked the tree over at least 5 or 6 times, butter wouldn't melt in her mouth :p
    1534719_10152171259483982_2117597278_o_zpscd9e0745.jpg

As for Bunty she's discovered the joys of goats milk and has drank about a gallon in the past few days. She's quite upset today because the shops run out of it so she's to wait til monday for more :p Cows milk really upsets her and jesse's tummys but goats milk seems to have no effect on them :)

I have to use the ear canker ointment today on Bertie and Rosie (his mum, who isn't nearly as bad).

Could anyone point me in the direction of a good instructional youtube video please?

The vet showed me on Thursday but I'd feel more comfortable reminding myself first.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

We took our Christmas tree down this evening and moved the spare sofa back into the living room and the old armchair back to the kitchen. It's totally flummoxed the cats, they're not sure what's going on:D

Mollys in the living room with us trying to figure out where the giant cat toy has gone to and running around like a lunatic. We'll start advertising her again next week and hopefully someone will adopt her soon so she can have the run of a home. Our 4 are just too big to leave unsupervised with her so she spends a lot of time in her safe room and she needs to run around.

I DON'T WANT TO give my foster dog back tomorrow :(:(

I've had the most blissful 2 1/2 weeks off work with her but it's back to reality.

We had a fab walk in the Phoenix park today and got stopped so many times by people asking about her.

Fostering's great....but sucks at the same time :o

anniehoo wrote: »
    This is quite good Morf

Thanks for the reply. They are cats actually which I should have stated but I'll have a look if there is one on the same youtube accounts.

I had a look on youtube but couldn't find anything appropriate in the short time I looked.

I think I did an ok job of it. I could hear the ointment squelching around as I massaged his ears afterwards. Not as good as I'd like but Bertie was pretty unhappy having it done.

Was back to normal about 10 minutes later (and some temptations). Seems in better humour actually which makes me glad.

If someone could link me to a video before the next dose (Tuesday) it would be hugely appreciated. Suggestions how to keep him from struggling (a small towel wrapped around him had limited success) would be great too!

Thanks!

Thank The Lord, boards is back!

I missed you all!
    I had to clean the house and do DIY!
    It was horrible...the DIY went ok.

I DON'T WANT TO give my foster dog back tomorrow :(:(

I've had the most blissful 2 1/2 weeks off work with her but it's back to reality.

We had a fab walk in the Phoenix park today and got stopped so many times by people asking about her.

Fostering's great....but sucks at the same time :o

I would love to foster but I dont think I could give them back at the end :pac:

My little white cat friend that visits was around earlier and brought a friend with her. She was soaked so I dried her off with some paper towels and gave her some treats. She sat on my lap being fussed over and petted until my legs went numb. She went off then happy out. The life of a cat eh!

I would love to foster but I dont think I could give them back at the end :pac:

I won't lie...there were tears giving her back today. :o I almost turned the car around halfway there. I'm shocked tbh at how much she got under my skin in such a short amount of time.

I'm just hoping she gets a great home, she's an absolute gem of a dog ;)

I won't lie...there were tears giving her back today. :o I almost turned the car around halfway there. I'm shocked tbh at how much she got under my skin in such a short amount of time.

I'm just hoping she gets a great home, she's an absolute gem of a dog ;)

You going to keep doing it? I'm still toying with the idea of doing it :)

• Advertisement

You going to keep doing it? I'm still toying with the idea of doing it :)
    Absolutely. The thing that I kept reminding myself was...it's not about me, it's about the dog. She would've gotten nowhere near the amount of love and attention for the last couple of weeks in the shelter as she did with me.

It's funny as I got a mixed bag of opinions from friends and family. Some thought it was "mean" handing her back :confused: So I just asked them "would she have had a better time sitting in a kennel by herself for 23hrs a day for the last few weeks?" That quietened them down lol.

Do you want me to PM you the video I made of her?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement