Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We have the same raincoats - Bailey doesn't mind his but Lucy goes on strike for the first few mins of wearing hers - sits/lies down or tries to scrape it off a wall lol!

We got soaked at the beach this morning..then on the way back to the car Lucy ate a frizzled up birds wing but luckily puked it back up BEFORE getting into the car :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'm so bloody annoyed today. I told Molly's adopters how to integrate her slowly and went through it all at great length. Got a phone call this morning to tell me it wasn't working out and they brought her back to us, why? Because instead of doing what I told them to do they kept her in the living room with them, noisiest room in the house, and she didn't come out all night, then they brought their own cat into the living room and of course the cat hissed at her.

So basically they did everthing I told them not to do and they didn't even give it 24 hours. Wtf is wrong with people? Well she's back now and she's safe and well and none the worse for her adventure.

People don't listen. It's like folks who think that if a hamster (for example, since I have one!) doesn't let you hold him straight away then he's 'untamable' or something. I like to ask if a bunch of giants you don't know and who smell weird suddenly kidnapped you from your house you'd be 'unsettled' to say the least!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I was under the impression that she would have a safe room and that they'd give her lots of fuss and attention over the weekend and slowly introduce her to their home and cat like we did with her. I'd been optomistic as they are used to cats, so I thought that they'd have anticipated that their cat wasn't going to be too happy about having another cat in the house.

I don't know why people think that their adult cat is going to accept a new kitten/cat automatically. Most cats would see another cat/kitten as an intruder. Poor Molly must've been terrified. She's sound asleep now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Got caught in a hailstone blizzard on the beach earlier:(. The dogs were wet from swimming anyway but I got absolutely soaked through, even my waterproof boots which have never leaked (and I have actually hosed them down whilst on me!!) got soaked with the hail forming little ice mounds on them. It was hitting my face so hard I was in pain. I had fleece gloves on that were soaked through and my fingers were completely numb. Finally got home and by the time I had dried the dogs I didn't even have the energy for a shower for myself. I only feel alright again now, in my pjs with the heating on and the fire blazing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Got caught in a hailstone blizzard on the beach earlier:(. The dogs were wet from swimming anyway but I got absolutely soaked through, even my waterproof boots which have never leaked (and I have actually hosed them down whilst on me!!) got soaked with the hail forming little ice mounds on them. It was hitting my face so hard I was in pain. I had fleece gloves on that were soaked through and my fingers were completely numb. Finally got home and by the time I had dried the dogs I didn't even have the energy for a shower for myself. I only feel alright again now, in my pjs with the heating on and the fire blazing.

Feck, you got caught out in that shower? It was dreadful!:eek:
    I had just got in the door from walking the dogs here, and thanked my lucky stars that we had beaten it!

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    Feck, you got caught out in that shower? It was dreadful!:eek:
    I had just got in the door from walking the dogs here, and thanked my lucky stars that we had beaten it!

I knew it was going to be showery, but I wasn't expecting it to be as bad as it was. I was a bit snookered with walks today cos I had to collect my nieces dog in Dublin this morning, then I was waiting for a couple of other visitors and finally got going at about 3.45 so I was a good bit down the beach when it started as well. Practically stranded. :(

I got caught in the shower this morning without my proper gear on because it was sunny and mild-ish this morning and I knew we's be having a long walk! I had a body warmer and light fleece on with my waterproof trousers - no hood/hat or good gloves and my shoes leaked too :( I took was taking photos so there's ones of the dogs running around in the sun, next the sky in the photos starts to get darker and then lashing rain. From now on my raincoat is going in my backpack ;p I had to go to the butchers on the way home so at least the dogs had dried in their drying coats/towels by the time we got home! Think I'm going to get another drying towel after today lol! We can't dry them fast enough lately! :p

tk123 wrote: »
    I got caught in the shower this morning without my proper gear on because it was sunny and mild-ish this morning and I knew we's be having a long walk! I had a body warmer and light fleece on with my waterproof trousers - no hood/hat or good gloves and my shoes leaked too :( I took was taking photos so there's ones of the dogs running around in the sun, next the sky in the photos starts to get darker and then lashing rain. From now on my raincoat is going in my backpack ;p I had to go to the butchers on the way home so at least the dogs had dried in their drying coats/towels by the time we got home! Think I'm going to get another drying towel after today lol! We can't dry them fast enough lately! :p

Yeah, the weather this morning was completely different! I drove to Dublin and didn't even throw a coat in the car. I'm the coldest person in the world and would have coat, hat and gloves on in the car til it warmed up!

Yeah, the weather this morning was completely different! I drove to Dublin and didn't even throw a coat in the car. I'm the coldest person in the world and would have coat, hat and gloves on in the car til it warmed up!

You need heated seats!! :D First thing I bought when I changed cars was a heated seat pad since the new car didn't have them lol!

tk123 wrote: »
    You need heated seats!! :D First thing I bought when I changed cars was a heated seat pad since the new car didn't have them lol!

Himself has the heated seats in his car! I had them before, when I used to commute to Dublin to work, they were just toasty. My brief for getting my last car was cupholders and plenty of storage pockets for leads & boxes of poo bags:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Hey guys, I could make you some pretty embarrassingly bad dog-rain-coats - good price (anything more than FREE would be daylight robbery!!!) :D

Molly's been enjoying sessions galloping around the house for the past few days, with access to most rooms. Felix's not sure what to make at her, she runs at him wanting to play, so he just hisses at her and when he's had enough of her presence after half an hour or so he starts making his unhappy noises.

There was another major battle with he and Toby last night. He followed Toby out then he came back bedraggled, soaked, filthy and limping. Toby was soaked and filthy when he came back, but at least he wasn't hurt. Am so tired of it, I really wish Felix would just leave him be.

aonb wrote: »
    Hey guys, I could make you some pretty embarrassingly bad dog-rain-coats - good price (anything more than FREE would be daylight robbery!!!) :D

post pics!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I'm a bad owner :o Eddie vomited up a huge part of a tapeworm last night (segments coming out the other end as well). He was last wormed mid November but has caught and eaten a few mice so I really should've been on the ball with this and wormed him monthly. I feel so guilty I'm so used to only worming my last cat every 3mths I'm going to have to up my game now with Eddie.

:eek::eek:<----both of our faces last night, the poor fella didn't know what was going on. Drontal bought first thing this morning and will be done on the 1st of the month now for the forseeable future seeing as tapeworms prepatent period is as short as 5 weeks.

anniehoo wrote: »
    I'm a bad owner :o Eddie vomited up a huge part of a tapeworm last night (segments coming out the other end as well). He was last wormed mid November but has caught and eaten a few mice so I really should've been on the ball with this and wormed him monthly. I feel so guilty I'm so used to only worming my last cat every 3mths I'm going to have to up my game now with Eddie.

:eek::eek:<----both of our faces last night, the poor fella didn't know what was going on. Drontal bought first thing this morning and will be done on the 1st of the month now for the forseeable future seeing as tapeworms prepatent period is as short as 5 weeks.

:eek::eek::eek:
    Shudder....

I'll clean up any amount of vomit and poo but when there's live parasites in it is when I'm on the verge of throwing up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I know, i lasted tested his poo end Nov and it was negative but Taenia eggs (it wasn't dipylidium) are notoriously difficult to find as they're incased in the segments internally. It's been ~10weeks since last worming so going to half that now because I can't be doing with having to clean up that again :eek:

They're not normally very pathogenic in adult cats so I'm not worried from that point of view, but still. Feeling very guilty today as I really should've known better :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I got caught out in great style this weekend.

I'm supposed to be 'watching' the weight since after Christmas!, but there was an offer on Jaffa cakes - my weakness :o

So I bought a pack on Friday and hid them behind the cushions on my sofa, cut to Sunday and we popped out for an hour and when we came back, her ladyshop had been on the couch - rooted out the jaffa cakes - eaten the last one and then shredded the box all over the floor - whoops!

Busted:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Just seen a photo on facebook of an akita before and after photos of being groomed, it looks like she's been shaved :eek:

Also got a phonecall this morning about a job and I don't know what to do. Initial reaction is :D but the more I think about it I'm :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Tiffi is peeing pink again :(
    Left a puddle in bathroom yesterday and peed in front of my last night, poor girl, must be passing stones again, she seemed fine up to yesterday. Waiting for vet to call me when he's back in town, have to be ready to rush down as he's alone this week and got loads of calls today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I had a dream last night that cream gave birth to 4 beautiful jet black kittens. He was still a boy in my dream but that didn't stop him. Now I'm broody for a little black kitty :P

• Advertisement

Encouraged by Bailey being ok when I left for 7 whole mins!!!! at the weekend I decided to try again today. Last time I'd forgotten that my mum said he brings his kong out to the hall in the morning when I leave for work so only had a camera in sitting room (where I give him the treat in his bed) This time I was prepared and had one in the hall and one in sitting room. I decided to add a couple of mins since I'd be able to play back the video anyways in case he got upset and it'd give me a gauge of how long he'd stay settled etc.... So we go out and then come down the road and can hear him barking in the hall, play back the video and he lasted all of 1 min 30 seconds in the sitting room before going to the ball barking and jumping at the door :( Lucy meanwhile hasn't left her bed/kong...or so we thought... Play back the sitting room video and she's on the bed and him on the vet bed on the floor both enjoying their kongs. Bailey drops his pizzle stick on the floor for a second while he goes to get a piece of biscuit that he hadn't noticed fell out of the kong when he pulled out the pizzle. Like a ninja Lucy was out of the bed, robs his pizzle and that's when he ran out to the hall and starting barking - obviously wanting me to come back and intervene! The litte brat! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm excited, dudes old foster mammy is going sending me on pictures of his sisters!! Can't wait to see them :D

What do you make of this... We're in the park with my friend and her husband and their dog.. Guy walks past with a dog, Lucy walks towards it and stops a good bit away (so not mad puppy running over - she politely kept her distance), I call her and she comes back and is playing with my friend by the path with her new toy - a jolly egg lol. Guy and dog eventually come around the path towards them, HIS dog approaches Lucy who just stands where she is, guy keeps walking but the dog doesn't follow, he calls the dog and it just stands in front of Lucy ignoring him, next he goes over and pushes Lucy out of the way, pulls the dog and she snaps at poor Lucy! If the dog is snappy why not clip her lead back on before walking her past 3 dogs?! :mad:

The Americans seem to have a far better range of outdoor equipment for cats. I was looking for an insulated cat house for outside the front door for Toby. For some reason he wants to be in the plant pot there, whatever the weather and he's getting soaked. I've found a nice wooden one but I love The Kitty Tube on Amazon.com. Costs over a 100 dollars to ship to Canada, so I won't even bother to enquire about postage to Ireland:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Umi is going to be in pick me up magazine as grumpy face of the week haha!

Fingers crossed there's a cat in my trap tomorrow morning!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

angeldaisy wrote: »

Busted:eek::eek:

Ah no, not really. There are no calories in Jaffa Cakes. Everyone knows that :P

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Fingers crossed there's a cat in my trap tomorrow morning!

A feral?
    I posted yonks ago about my 95 year old neighbor who was feeding a feral who presented her with 6 kittens. Shes was feeding them, all looking great, fully grown now, real beauties. Shes going nuts now, that 7 cats x kittens would be a disaster very quickly. I brought the trap from the rescue I work with - she & another neighbor caught all 7 so quickly, Just make sure you put the food lure under the cage, so the cat can get it out by pawing it from the outside

aonb wrote: »
    A feral?
    I posted yonks ago about my 95 year old neighbor who was feeding a feral who presented her with 6 kittens. Shes was feeding them, all looking great, fully grown now, real beauties. Shes going nuts now, that 7 cats x kittens would be a disaster very quickly. I brought the trap from the rescue I work with - she & another neighbor caught all 7 so quickly, Just make sure you put the food lure under the cage, so the cat can get it out by pawing it from the outside

Ya a lovely black girl that's taken residence in the shed at nights, quite young under a year I'd say. Do you put the food on a dish or anything? Iv some nice smelly sardines so hopefully they do the trick :-) All tips greatly appreciated, first time trapping

• Advertisement

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Ya a lovely black girl that's taken residence in the shed at nights, quite young under a year I'd say. Do you put the food on a dish or anything? Iv some nice smelly sardines so hopefully they do the trick :-) All tips greatly appreciated, first time trapping

Put a tiny bit of folded cardboard/twig under the door, so that when it slams shut, it wont catch paws/tail - plus it wont make such a huge bang and frighten her even more.
    Put a blanket over the cage, to darken it, when shes trapped - will help her a bit.
    Is she used to eating out of a dish? If not, just put the sardines on the floor of the cage.
    Hope you catch her tonight. (Dont feed her before setting the trap up, so she will be more inclined to go in after the food)
    Are you going to neuter and keep her or rehome - is she "very" feral??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement