Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

mymo wrote: »
    Awww, dude will be fine, your dad can have sneaky cuddle in peace ;)

He always says he has no time for cats and threatens to throw them in a bucket but I know myself right now he's panned out on the couch with the 3 of them cuddled up :P

Actually, does anyone know of any pet shops that would be around phibsboro, Harold's cross or Phoenix park? It's dudes birthday soon and I need to get him a present :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

A new record today for our training!:D Bailey was home with a crated Lucy (so she can't take his treat) for 16 mins!!! He did bark for almost 2 mins though in the middle after he'd finished his bone....and couldn't get his kong out of his bowl lol!!! :rolleyes:

Too wet for the zoo :( oh well get to spend a day shopping instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Too wet for the zoo :( oh well get to spend a day shopping instead!

That's a pity :( Aim to go again during the summer, I'v been to belfast zoo in the lashing rain and it was the biggest waste of time, everything was sheltered out of the rain so we seen nothing, went to dublin zoo in august and the sun was splitting the stones, much better experience :) My kind of shopping is visiting a few petshops and picking up loads of bits for the furry lot :p

That's exactly what I wanted to do but no one else wanted to so we went to the dundrum shopping centre and despite all my searching I cannot find a pet shop :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

That's exactly what I wanted to do but no one else wanted to so we went to the dundrum shopping centre and despite all my searching I cannot find a pet shop :P

There's a pet shop in dundrum village! Not far from the shopping centre :)

There's a pet shop in dundrum village! Not far from the shopping centre :)

Ah crap only saw this now and I'm back in Clare, typical! It doesn't matter that I didn't get to a pet shop anyway, I brought back something better than any pet shop would have... a paper bag!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I went to a pet shop this morning (while waiting for my daughter to get out of school) and bought my boys, 1 each of all of the Mutt & Jeff treats range, some trays of Naturo for 'emergencys', wormers, Burns fishy kibble and some frozen Naturdiet food. I went mad!!! I didnt get a paper bag though 8-(

Sakes! Lucy was rattling around in her crate so I let her up on the bed...she's squeaking and running in her sleep now lol! :p

We had a bit of a fright with her earlier this morning. She basically jumped down into a stream/river and started to panic because she didn't know how to get back out with the bank being so high. There's a path with steep hills on either side and the stream runs underneath. I was on the other side and not able to reach her so my friend jumped down to get her - just as she went to grab her she managed to get out herself. It was SCARY afterwards thinking of what could of happened one of us probably would have ended up having to jump in and save her and may have gotten into trouble ourselves or she could have been carried under the hill/got stuck somewhere underneath. Thank god I started her at hydro and she has some stamina in the water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

What a day. We were woken by Felix attacking Toby in the spare room at 7.30am. So we had to get up and seperate them. Fur everywhere. Felix came off the worst of it this time, Toby was absolutely soaked so he was probably fighting with some other cat before he came home and then got attacked by Felix.

Felix's ear is cut and it's the ear we spent months and a small fortune at the vets trying to clear the infection from. Don't know whether it was from the fight or something he did outdoors as there was blood spatter on the walls and radiators and cupboards downstairs where he was shaking his head but none upstairs where the fight was. Even though he's limping heavily he still tried to get at Toby on the kitchen table half an hour ago.

I've just finished scrubbing down anywhere with blood spatter and every surface at cat butt height with bio liquid. Contacted the pet behaviourist and I'm meeting her for a chat next week, hopefully it'll get sorted as I'll crack up if it doesn't.

• Advertisement

Dude has a tummy bug at the moment, he's gone from little firm 'escapees' to pretty much constantly leaking small amounts of soft poops. So I'm back on the staying up all night duty to clean up poops! I just keep chanting 'I love my cat I love my cat' lol. Must pick up some ID food from the vets in the morning and feed him only on that for a while to see will things clear up. I don't mind the poop too much but his farts are like something out of hell!

Just gave my three budgies a tub of water, giving out to them, saying "Who wouldn't want a Monday morning bath while listening to the Doors? Now I want a bath listening to the Doors!" - looked over and Yellow the hen bird had commandeered the bath for herself. She dipped her face in and one of the young lads hopped on her back. I think I just witnessed a little brother trying to drown a big sister!

I'm so sorry Yellow, but welcome to my childhood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Dude has a tummy bug at the moment, he's gone from little firm 'escapees' to pretty much constantly leaking small amounts of soft poops. So I'm back on the staying up all night duty to clean up poops! I just keep chanting 'I love my cat I love my cat' lol. Must pick up some ID food from the vets in the morning and feed him only on that for a while to see will things clear up. I don't mind the poop too much but his farts are like something out of hell!

I have to say that to myself sometimes when Umi puts her dirty bottom into my face when I'm trying to sleep. Having a long haired cat that likes to eat things she shouldnt is a nightmare. I actually have a designated cup in the bathroom for rinsing her with next to the cat shampoo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

tk123 wrote: »
    Sakes! Lucy was rattling around in her crate so I let her up on the bed...she's squeaking and running in her sleep now lol! :p

We had a bit of a fright with her earlier this morning. She basically jumped down into a stream/river and started to panic because she didn't know how to get back out with the bank being so high. There's a path with steep hills on either side and the stream runs underneath. I was on the other side and not able to reach her so my friend jumped down to get her - just as she went to grab her she managed to get out herself. It was SCARY afterwards thinking of what could of happened one of us probably would have ended up having to jump in and save her and may have gotten into trouble ourselves or she could have been carried under the hill/got stuck somewhere underneath. Thank god I started her at hydro and she has some stamina in the water!

One of my dogs will swim in ANYTHING - just lauches himself in with a belly-flop. There is a stream near us that goes through a pipe under a road - hes VERY interested in it - has to be put on the leash now before he gets anywhere near there. Nightmare situation - someone I know lost a dog in a culvert when he was washed down while swimming in a stream. With all this flood water at the moment, dog walkers need to be aware that streams/rivers are DANGEROUS now for water-mad dogs!

aonb wrote: »
    One of my dogs will swim in ANYTHING - just lauches himself in with a belly-flop. There is a stream near us that goes through a pipe under a road - hes VERY interested in it - has to be put on the leash now before he gets anywhere near there. Nightmare situation - someone I know lost a dog in a culvert when he was washed down while swimming in a stream. With all this flood water at the moment, dog walkers need to be aware that streams/rivers are DANGEROUS now for water-mad dogs!

I've been taking her along to hydro every week with Bailey and she's suddenly gained confidence - before she wouldn't dare go in!! The best part was that when she got out Bailey jumped in - they were both black lol! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

aonb wrote: »

Last year one of mine fell into an uncovered well in the fields behind our house. There had been some work done on the ditches and one of the diggers must have either dislodged or been too heavy for the concrete plinth covering it because it had broken up and fallen into the well and after heavy rain when Coco went over for an investigation it just looked like a big puddle which she LOVES. Next thing she disappeared into it and luckily himself was right beside it so when she bobbed back up and struggled to get out he just grabbed her and pulled her to safety.

In fairness to the farmer, as soon as he was told he got to work on repairing it and it was recovered within a few days but I dread to think what might have happened.

I've told this store before but YEARS ago my aunt's yorkie had puppies. They were out in the garden and next one of them fell down the shore leading from the kitchen sink.. My cousins called my grandad out - he ran to the end of the garden and lifted the trap, put his hand down and a few seconds later lifted out the pup! :D He ended up taking that pup after saving him lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Charlie went berserk barking downstairs to something out the side window, I mean really deep loud barks that if you didn't see the culprit you might think a large german shepherd rather than a small wirey hedgehog. Went downstairs to investigate thinking good fella barking at someone suspicious going around the side of the house, what was it only the neighbours big black fluffy cat sitting on the wall looking in :rolleyes: I'm happy in the knowledge that if ever a cat were to break into the house/steal the car we're all perfectly safe because charlie will alert everyone and see to them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

I caved and brought home the ten year old cavalier that was surrendered to rescue last week. There's just something about him that got to me and when there was no interest when he was put up on facebook i text her and collected him today! I'm just fostering him but i think he might stay. When i was back there i walked some of the dogs. There were two terrified springer pups, they'd break your heart they were so scared. I had them out for half hour just sitting petting them and they really came out of their shells and tails were wagging! Hope they get into a home soon though it'll do them the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I just discovered Toby has a weeping puss filled hole in his hip!

Never noticed it until this evening, he's been very grumpy and growls when picked up for about a week, I feel so guilty I didn't see it before :(

He's always guarding the house, we never see a cat within 30m or so of our house. We keep him in as much as we can, but we think he lived mostly outside before he came to us, as we couldn't keep him in at first, he's with us 6 years the end of the month, so must be 11 or more (vet aged him at 5-7years when we adopted him). He still makes a few kills if he gets the chance, rats are his favourite, and my daughter has pet rats!

My vet will love me, I just got my bill down to the last €30 last week, between Ruby spayed, vaccs for all 5 cats and dogs, kidney stones twice in Tiffi, and jake's resp infection, and Matilda( rat) pts, it's cost me around €200 since just before Christmas, my animal emergency fund is getting bit depleted.

• Advertisement

I just discovered Toby has a weeping puss filled hole in his hip!

Never noticed it until this evening, he's been very grumpy and growls when picked up for about a week, I feel so guilty I didn't see it before :(

He's always guarding the house, we never see a cat within 30m or so of our house. We keep him in as much as we can, but we think he lived mostly outside before he came to us, as we couldn't keep him in at first, he's with us 6 years the end of the month, so must be 11 or more (vet aged him at 5-7years when we adopted him). He still makes a few kills if he gets the chance, rats are his favourite, and my daughter has pet rats!

My vet will love me, I just got my bill down to the last €30 last week, between Ruby spayed, vaccs for all 5 cats and dogs, kidney stones twice in Tiffi, and jake's resp infection, and Matilda( rat) pts, it's cost me around €200 since just before Christmas, my animal emergency fund is getting bit depleted.
    I hope he's better soon, our Toby will be getting a check up on Wednesday after all the fighting he's being doing lately. We were hoping to go to Rome for our anniversary at the end of April, but after everything we've shelled out at the vets over the past 6 months it just isn't going to happen this year, still I wouldn't be without our cats, no matter how frustrating they can be at times, love the little swines darlings:D

I had to bribe him with kitty crack (dreamies) to clean it, got some gunk out and washed it well with salt water, off to vet in morning, he's currently purring in his sleep beside me.

Hope all goes well for your Toby.

I had to bribe him with kitty crack (dreamies) to clean it, got some gunk out and washed it well with salt water, off to vet in morning, he's currently purring in his sleep beside me.

Hope all goes well for your Toby.
    It never ends, I'm still trying to snare Jazzy in the crate so I get get him to Limerick to get his teeth checked, he never lost his feral wariness when it comes to changes in his routine. All I have to do is take the food bowls up in the evening and he knows, he just knows and he won't let us near him.

Molly the kitten is into everything these days since she's got the run of the house for most of the day up until we go to bed each night. She's discovered the joy of sofas and beds. She's taken to the spare bed for quiet naps. She and Poppy 'helped' me change the bed linen last night, although we have different definitions of help. I've been ill again this week so she, Jazzy and Poppy came back to bed with me for a bit this afternoon. She likes wriggling her way under the duvet.

She's also loving playing in the bathroom sink, so we let the tap drip a bit for her, my sink looks like I haven't cleaned it for a month:)

We were just laughing about our vets, there are two, both love animals, but somehow it's always the same guy that gets Toby, and Toby hates him!
    Poor vet backs away when Toby starts growling, and boy can Toby growl, but he's not as violent as he sounds, it's all noise with him.
    I know it's the same vet on tomorrow, other guy told me he's off Monday and Tuesday this week.
    The other vet gets all the cuddly ones, he couldn't stop jake purring to listen to his heart and lungs last time, he loves the dogs, and Ruby tried to lick his nose when he took out her stitches.

Our Toby was very placid with the lady vets at the practice we use, but he's not to fond of the male vet. They all remarked on 'what a lovely nature' he has. He has a major growl too, he's had enough of being harassed by the others so whenever one of our other cats comes within a few feet of him he starts growling like a dog.

Dude has really bad diarrhoea today, I'm constantly following him around with baby wipes. He's still full of beans which is making things impossible, I can't keep him in his crate when he's so loopy but he runs all over the house leaving little drips. We've gone through a whole back of 28 incontinence sheets on the furniture!!

Hope all goes okay for the two Toby's with their vet trips :)

Poor Dude, hope he's feeling better soon.

His poor bum was really irritated so I gave it a wash with a baby wipe... you know those horror stories you hear about changing a nappy on a baby boy...? I've just experienced that with a cat!

• Advertisement

Have you tried Water wipes? I get them in the supermarket for ours when they need a wipe anywhere. They're basically just water and a little bit of juice, lemon juice I think, so very gentle on sensitive skin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement