Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hey guys, would love a little help from my fellow boardsies, if you are on facebook, can you "like" the pic of Cooper in the link below, theres a chance of winning the pic on a canvas print, but we need loads of likes :D

Thanks a mill!!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150321526577651&set=o.153037404776759&type=1&theater

If any of the mods read this, am i allowed to put a thread in the pets section with this request?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

tk123 wrote: »
    Done!

Me too :D

Thanks a mill guys, we are well in the lead at the moment but theres still a week to go :D

andreac wrote: »
    Thanks a mill guys, we are well in the lead at the moment but theres still a week to go :D

:( We were in the lead with one last month but we were beaten on the last day! Prob for the best because I would have bought a ton of the calendars and spent a fortune lol :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

So i decided it was time to get the new HUGE crate set up as the countdown is on - op on the 25th:eek: I put the 2 big slabs of vet bed I got last week at pet expo in and the blanket from his bed. He took a kong in it no probs and is running to it for treats! - we always tell him to go to bed before giving him a treat so usually when he see us take one out he gets into his bed waiting for it - he knows it's his new bed! He's even asleep in it now!! :D:D I'm so relieved because I've been worrying about the op as it's getting so close but hopefully this is an indication that he's going to settle into the crate rest ok. Last year it was tough for the first week - he wouldn't settle and would only stop crying to come out after he'd exhausted himself and needed a rest. Thank you TillyGirl for telling us about the crates from jebtools.ie!!:)

178150.JPG

The pigeon in the crate with him lol:pac:

178151.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Have to leave my doggies with my mammy for a few days so I can go to Newcastle... Crate, blankies, kongs, treats, foods, and bowls.. It's almost as bad as packing for myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Treated myself to a pair of FitFlop runners for my birthday, and I just walked the dogs in them...I love them!
    They are really comfortable and dogs got an extra long walk (so we're all happy):D

Also got that halfords dog guard, will be fitting it in the morning, was on offer at €64!

Voted for Cooper too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Thank you TillyGirl for telling us about the crates from jebtools.ie!!:)

You are welcome..they are great prices arent they?

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Thank you TillyGirl for telling us about the crates from jebtools.ie!!:)

You are welcome..they are great prices arent they?

Yes!! Half the price of a slightly smaller one locally and zooplus didn't have one as big as it so delighted with it.

Mymo how are you hands after screwing the hook things in for the dog guard - takes ages if you need to use the bigger ones. I had to take a break when i was doing it lol!! :)

• Advertisement

Yes!! Half the price of a slightly smaller one locally and zooplus didn't have one as big as it so delighted with it.

Mymo how are you hands after screwing the hook things in for the dog guard - takes ages if you need to use the bigger ones. I had to take a break when i was doing it lol!! :)

I haven't got it in yet, have tendonitis so need help!
    Going to get daughter to help after school.
    It looks good, nice and sturdy, but not sure how it will fit, gap is pretty small.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Sigh!! Trip to the vets for Beanies in order :o He came back in on sunday hobbling on his back leg intermittently.One minute he's ok, the next he's limping and lies down until it corrects itself. Its like his hip or something is popping in and out. He had something similar about a year ago but it healed itself but this time its not going away. Thank god for insurance i tell ya if surgerys in order :(

Medical type stuff i generally can tell what it is, but surgical and im lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

anniehoo wrote: »
    Sigh!! Trip to the vets for Beanies in order :o He came back in on sunday hobbling on his back leg intermittently.One minute he's ok, the next he's limping and lies down until it corrects itself. Its like his hip or something is popping in and out. He had something similar about a year ago but it healed itself but this time its not going away. Thank god for insurance i tell ya if surgerys in order :(

Medical type stuff i generally can tell what it is, but surgical and im lost!

My cat came in limping a couple of years ago, turned out another cat had bitten her on her back leg, puncture wound was so tiny I missed when I was looking but the vet spotted it when he clipped away some hair, the wound had gotten infected and that's why she was limping. Some antibiotics cleared it up in a few days, hopefully Beanies is something similar and easy to fix :)

lrushe wrote: »
    hopefully Beanies is something similar and easy to fix :)
    Me too!Doesnt seem as bad today but he's been very cautious in his movements.Theres an area just under his hip thats very sore to touch.I generally dont run to the vet with every little thing, but it just seems very random the way he limps one minute then fine the next. Getting him checked tomorrow anyway cheers ;)

Sob! Xrays for Beanie tomorrow...vet felt "crunching" around hip area and is surprised hes even still managing to jump. Hopin i havent done more harm than good by leaving it the few days. Thanks be to jesus for pet insurance thats all i can say :o

Sob! Xrays for Beanie tomorrow...vet felt "crunching" around hip area and is surprised hes even still managing to jump. Hopin i havent done more harm than good by leaving it the few days. Thanks be to jesus for pet insurance thats all i can say :o

Ah no poor Beanie! It's mad the way they walk around injured - like last year (and again next week) my baba was walking around on a leg that was held together by pins with an empty space in the bone where it had been cut to correct the curve in the bone! Imagine us doing that lol!

Well not long back from the vet, Ollie fell down the stairs playing with the cat, banged his head and got a concussion, and shock.
    I got a hysterical call from my daughter on way home from work as he was falling around and dazed. By time I got home he was ok but quiet, pupils very large so called the vet.
    I have a baby gate on the stairs to keep them downstairs when we're out, but never closed when we're home, may have to change that.

Poor beanie, hope it goes well tomorrow anniehoo.x

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Dexters started leg humping. jesus, they grow up so fast... He's wired the last day or two as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It seems to be veterinary emergency week around here at the minute! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Best of luck with it anniehoo. I'm sure all will be ok.

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    Best of luck with it anniehoo. I'm sure all will be ok.
    What an exhausting day lads! So xrays taken and he has a luxating patella (a dislocating kneecap) and hip dysplasia believe it or not Gutted! Heres the x ray:

007taq.jpg

You can see on the bottom right his kneecap is totally out to the side.Thats why one minute he was fine and walking on it, then it pops out and he's limping. The hip dysplasia is possibly congenital and may or may not need a femoral head excision. He's on crate rest for a week and is to be reevaluated in a week. So all in all a really "fun" day!!

009jx.jpg

Hopefully in a week it might rectify itself after complete rest so fingers crossed. Vet obviously doesnt want to do major surgery unless absolutely necessary. Have zero experience of crate resting a cat so TK ill be following any tips you'll be giving with your fella :p

Not the end of the world just yet, but hes only 2 and am worried this might flare up again when hes older and then obviously negate my pet insurance. (heads running away with myself moneywise now)! Thanks for the support lads, its great to be able to come here and vent/be upset and not feel silly! So heres to the next week of crate rest...im sure he'll be demented in no time :o Feel free to PM me with any tips peeps too...will be glad of the help ;)

Oh poor Beanie.
    I had a cat on crate rest for 8 weeks this time last year as he broke his leg up near the hip.
    Had a set up like yours, but my fella was so doped up he slept most of the first 3 weeks. I gave him frozen bits of raw meat when he was up to it, took him a couple of hours to get through it. Lots of cuddles too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So xrays taken and he has a luxating patella (a dislocating kneecap)
    I have one of these. Actually I might have two of these, but as yet my right kneecap has never dislocated (only nearly :eek:), so I'm not sure.

If it helps at all, the issue you're describing (dislocation followed by limping), actually gets better with each dislocation, oddly. The first one is the worst. After that, recovery time drops a lot. The first few times, I was limping for a week. The last time it happened, the pain was gone by the end of the day.
    Strengthening the joint helps a lot, the muscles keep the patella in place. For humans, that involves lots of cycling and weight lifting (with your legs). I'm not sure what the equivalent is for a cat.

He'll be OK, just needs (more!) TLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

seamus wrote: »
    I have one of these. Actually I might have two of these, but as yet my right kneecap has never dislocated (only nearly :eek:), so I'm not sure.

If it helps at all, the issue you're describing (dislocation followed by limping), actually gets better with each dislocation, oddly. The first one is the worst. After that, recovery time drops a lot. The first few times, I was limping for a week. The last time it happened, the pain was gone by the end of the day.
    Strengthening the joint helps a lot, the muscles keep the patella in place. For humans, that involves lots of cycling and weight lifting (with your legs). I'm not sure what the equivalent is for a cat.

He'll be OK, just needs (more!) TLC.

I'm seeing images of cats on bikes cycling around and weight lifting. :p

Ah poor baba Beanie in his crate! He doesn't have much space compared to Bailey's mansion lol which now looks like a childs playpen with all the toys he's collected in it - i was going to say there isn't enough space to swing a cat! :pac: How is he settling in? Does he mind being so close to his loo - i never thought of that if a cat was on crate rest - my cat would have be disgusted lol! Would a Feliway diffuser work for him if you plugged it in beside the crate - i got one for my cat for when i was going on hols one time and he practically lived in a chair beside where it was plugged in for weeks!

How is he settling in? Does he mind being so close to his loo - !
    Surprisingly better than i thought. He was grand last night and didnt hear a peep out of him. Let him stretch his legs for 10mins this morning and ill let him out again when i get home for a short while. Need to get a smaller litter tray as that one was the only one i had that would fit in. The guilt im feelin is unreal though :D...ignoring my inner voice telling me to leave him out for longer than i should!

Anniehoo, I used a biscuit tin for a litter tray (well 2, swapped and disinfected them), perfect size for crate.
    Line palstic bag and with paper over that (if your cat is a nutter like mine and hates plastic liners), then add litter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

How is it that the only awake dog in my house is the one that did 3.5 hours agility training today???? It really is not possible to wear that dog out :p

Poor Flo is booked in to the vets in the morning :( Shes been lame for the last 2 weeks but had improved. Had her on Metacam and rest and our horse physio had been working on her too as i thought it was judt muscular but looks likes shes done something more than that :(

I really hope its not Hip Displacia or her cruciate. It seems to be up high so thought she pulled something in her hip. Will know more tomorrow anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

OH NOOOOO :( Poor Flo. Fingers crossed that she will be flying soon again to the ring. x

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement