Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

ROFL!!! Off I go to post my worm counts and the bloody self service kiosk is out of order. Queue up for ages in the post office and the grumpy aul wan asks what's in them - since I was going to use the kiosk I hadn't thought that far ahead

TK : "Ehh.... it's a sample...... from... my dog"
    PO : (Stares at me??) :confused::mad:
    TK : "Well..... it's basically.... poo?" :o
    PO ::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:pac::D:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

The kitten has finally been named :) she's going to be called Luna since she was adopted during the super moon! Moon unit came a very close second :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Finally back on line, have been unable to get on the internet since Thursday when the pup I'm fostering for the local SPCA ate the router!

One of my dogs, Vince, won the Nose of Tralee Sligo heat, and is now in the final, and he would appreciate any votes if people would do him the honours. Click on the link, find the photo of the one eared wooly husky called Vince from Sligo, and click vote :Dhttps://www.facebook.com/PetSittersIreland?v=app_1447766368830021&app_data=entry_id%3D64163809%26gaReferrerOverride%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.facebook.com%252F

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

muddypaws wrote: »
    Finally back on line, have been unable to get on the internet since Thursday when the pup I'm fostering for the local SPCA ate the router!

One of my dogs, Vince, won the Nose of Tralee Sligo heat, and is now in the final, and he would appreciate any votes if people would do him the honours. Click on the link, find the photo of the one eared wooly husky called Vince from Sligo, and click vote :Dhttps://www.facebook.com/PetSittersIreland?v=app_1447766368830021&app_data=entry_id%3D64163809%26gaReferrerOverride%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.facebook.com%252F

Ah Vince is so handsome, love his lack of earage and nose-tipage, mind you all the others are cuties too, but I gave Vince my vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

muddypaws wrote: »

Voted for Vince, but they're all gorgeous! Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I know I'm showing my age here, but...

Mork is dead :(

Just hit the headlines a few mins ago, Robin Williams has been found dead in his home. I don't know if the man had an off button :(

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

DBB wrote: »
    I know I'm showing my age here, but...

Mork is dead :(

Just hit the headlines a few mins ago, Robin Williams has been found dead in his home. I don't know if the man had an off button :(
    So sad, I thought it was a hoax when I first heard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Very sad news.

Nanu nanu Mork.

:(

Layinghen wrote: »
    Very sad news.

Nanu nanu Mork.

:(

Woke up to a text from my mam telling me :( so sad!

>_< Bailey's wound opened up! Vet said there was no point trying to repair it so he has a mad hole in his gum now. But doesn't seem bothered by it lol!! I only noticed because my friend's OH was driving by and stopped to see them and ask how they were. He opened the boot for Rebel to say hello to them - they both dived in with him and he gave out to Lucy which set her mad - doing zoomy jumps in and out of the boot lol!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm caught up in the middle of a battle for the bed between Toby and my husband. Every night I'm usually the first to go to bed and Toby races up with me and goes over to my husbands side of the bed. The problem is that he's getting more reluctant to share that side with my husband.

We thought at first that he was playing but I don't think so after last night. My husband is very tall and when he's reading in bed he just gets in and kind of manouvers himself around whatever sprawl position Tobys in, fine until Toby really attacks his feet through the duvet. It's the Summer duvet so there's not much protection in that.

So now I've got the cat giving me the big eyes on the bed and my husband giving me the big eyes saying he can't cuddle up with the cat on the bed and in the way. Dilemmas, dilemas, what's a girl to do:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

There is a lady in our estate who owns two dogs. The houses are terraced with smalll gardens to the front enclosed by a railing of approx 1 metre high. The dogs are often left in the front garden unsupervised, while the owner is in the house. They tend to lie against the railings in one corner under a bush and because they are both black it can be difficult to spot them. Some days you can walk past and they will just lie there but on other occassions one of them (it's always the same one - they are mother and son, and it's the son) will leap up and start running along the fence and barking. He could easily jump the fence although he never has done that I am aware of. I regularly see him barking at people and I have been barked at when passing and it is really scary as he tends to pop out from the bush and give you a real fright. One of my kids is afraid of him, hates the barking, so we tend not to pass there now and go by on the other side of the road.

I passed the house yesterday on my way to pick up the kids from creche and they weren't in the garden. Because water meters are being installed across the road we had to walk on the other side on the way home and as we approached my son got scared and asked where the dogs there. Because I hadn't seen them I told him they weren't and of course, they had been let out in the meantime. We passed and it looked like he wasn't going to bark and then suddenely he went crazy running back and forth, barking and jumping on the fence. My son was extremely frightened, very upset and was screaming crying.

I am so annoyed, especially at myself for telling my son that it was ok as the dogs weren't there. We will have to pass there again today and I'm dreading it.

Can anyone advise me if the dog warden has any powers in a situation like this where the dog is on private property? I am considering calling into the lady but honestly I'd be afraid to enter that garden in case the dogs came racing out and I rarely see her on the street to be able to stop her. I don't really want to have to go and confront her as she has been allowing her dogs to do this for years so I don't think she gives a hoot and I'm not interested in getting into a argument with her as I do have to live near her, but something needs to be done.

IMO it's nuisance barking so I don't know if it's the warden or the council who you'd need to contact. You're supposed to approach her first but if you're afraid to go in maybe post a letter to her. We pass a house with 3 labs who LIVE in the front garden - can't get my head around that in suburban Dublin.. The dogs bark at everyone who passes - terrified Bailey when he was post op the first time and it took me about 2-3 years to get him to walk past the garden again! Don't know how the neighbours put up with it tbh. The house in question bugged their tenants a few years ago so maybe the have beef on the neighbour to keep them quiet haha! :p If you think the dogs are being aggressive then I'd record them too for evidence. Bailey sometimes barks at strangers who pass our garden and would frighten some of them but I wouldn't be leaving him out there doing it annoying everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Well I called the Dog Warden's office and they advised that as the dog is on private property there is nothing they can do, which I figured would be the case. The dog is regularly on the green area in the estate with the owner's friend throwing the ball for him and he is no bother at all and behaves wonderfully so I don't think he is an aggressive dog as such but when he is barking and lunging at the fence it is very intimidating and scary, especially the unpredictability of it as he doesn't do it every time.

The girl I spoke to will pass on the address to the Dog Warden to check if they have licences for the dogs and if not he may be able to call out about that and start a discussion on the other matter but if they licences then there is nothing that can be done.

Looks like I am going to have to have a word with the owner when I next see her.

A few doors up from this house is another guy who lets his jack russell into the front garden unsupervised occassionally and he barks as well although not to the same ferocity and extent as this other dog. He scares the kids also and I got the chance to have a word with that owner before and he just didn't care. 'Sure what can I do about it?' Errr, I can think of a number of things with No.1 being stop leaving him in the front garden when you have a perfectly fine one to the rear!

I get that a dog might bark to defend his 'territory' or whatever but as you said if they are scaring people why would you continue to put them in a position where they feel they have to act this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

So I'm in the spare room/computer room with the door shut because I'm trying to get some important things done (says me on boards :pac: ) and I opened the door before to check on the girls to find them curled up pressed against the door, clearly unable to do their regular doggy things because they're shut out.
    When I'm at work I know for a fact they play normally because I've snuck in the gate and peaked through the window before. But heaven help the poor little creatures being shut out a room :P

Yesterday morning when I knew I'd have to go to the vet with Bailey I dialled into work while I waited for them to open...The second the dogs saw me heading towards the stairs with my work laptop the two of them were up ahead of me to get to their "desk" :p Funny Bailey will happily snooze on the bed like that with Lucy during the day but at night time he wants his own space!

318280.JPG

Felix is really unsettled in himself for some reason this week, I'd put it down to my husband being back at work after having a week off, but he hasn't settled yet. He's taking it out on Toby, stalking him again. All that had settled for a long time when we put them on the Calm Feline food, so it's frustrating. Wish I could figure out what it is that's wrong with him.

He keeps doing the slow walk up to Toby and howling at him:confused: I grabbed him just in time earlier as he lunged from the arm of the sofa at Toby who was laying down on the floor and got myself a nice new cut hand for my trouble, my own fault though, his back claw caught me mid air. Cats:rolleyes:

My back has been out since sunday so I crawled into the spare bed with Cinnamon for a bit. Felt bad for the other babies being closed out of the room so I've let them in and gone back to work on the computer and I just turned around to this:

264hxqr.jpg

edit: 2 minutes after taking the above photo Cinnamon strolled in and I got one with her in as well.
    I don't think I've ever gotten a photo (let along seen!!) all my furbabies in the same place at the same time. I'm the happiest fur-mammy in town right now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Met a lovely lady while I was out walking the puppies. She had a lovely placid dog with her and they didn't mind the puppies, who are still in training, who were very barky at first but I managed to settle them and both the lady and her dog were patient with us all. It was good for them to meet a nice dog like that too. It's so nice to meet someone who doesn't mind giving you a helping hand like that :)

A girl I went to school with in NZ joined this neat group on Facebook called Cats Of Auckland. It's like humans of new York, but for cats.
    People take photos of the cats they meet on the street while out walking or come in to their yard, usually with a little bit about how purry they were and stuff. They get their names from their name tags, or otherwise they seem to be locally known cats. It's all very cute and I reckon it'd be pure handy if your cat has gone wandering.

• Advertisement

A girl I went to school with in NZ joined this neat group on Facebook called Cats Of Auckland. It's like humans of new York, but for cats.
    People take photos of the cats they meet on the street while out walking or come in to their yard, usually with a little bit about how purry they were and stuff. They get their names from their name tags, or otherwise they seem to be locally known cats. It's all very cute and I reckon it'd be pure handy if your cat has gone wandering.

You should start an Irish one :D

My friend has a FB page for her baking/crafts business. Yesterday she posted a photo of the most delicious looking bread with potato, bacon, spring onions and sour cream in it. She joked that she doesn't make bread very often because she'd happily eat the lot smother in real butter.. She got messages of complaint because bread and real butter is "bad for you" LOL!! :D

Anyways brats in the vets earlier together for an experiment - Lucy was fine and Bailey was crying. At one stage they were sitting "holding paws" which I found hilarious because normally Bailey would give out to her for crowding him! :pac: Lucy got the all clear so we can finally go back to the park tomorrow morning for a splash in the river and run around off lead - our first morning back in 2 weeks!! Bailey is healing up ok but we may have to go and get imaging done to confirm that it's just an infection and it's not going to cause any more damage so possibly a road trip ahead of us. Which is a bit MAD - because it'll be around the same time of year we were down there for his legs!

I took a hot waterbottle to bed last night. Toby jumped up on the bed and walked on it, even though it's in a fake fur cover and was under the duvet he leapt in the air, all 4 paws off the bed and ran off. It frightened the life out of him, I think he thought it was another cat under the duvet. He soon came back and stole my side of the bed though.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

The thing on pet island tonight about the cat fancy dress really annoyed me, they made it seem as though this was a special show just for cat's in fancy dress when it's actually a very small tangent of a regular TICA cat show!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

The thing on pet island tonight about the cat fancy dress really annoyed me, they made it seem as though this was a special show just for cat's in fancy dress when it's actually a very small tangent of a regular TICA cat show!

I did wonder if it was one class, rather than a whole show :(

Ah no i missed it - was trying to tune in a snes lol! :p

So just after I posted the vet called me back - Bailey is now booked into UCD on Monday...and I've no cover in work so don't know what I'm going to say to my boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Alli was so annoyed with me today, she loves being pampered, washed and brushed. She's going to a dog show on Sunday so I thought I'd make another start at her undercoat. She got all excited and ran into the bathroom and hoped into the shower wagging her tail, I called her out as I'm not going to wash her until Saturday. Unimpressed was an understatement! She barked and groaned at me then walked out in a huff looking back at me :pac: She was happy again when she realised she was getting brushed so she ran over to the blanket on the floor and barked until I picked up the brush. Just about to start brushing her and the boyfriend rings, she was having none of that and dived on me while I was trying to answer the phone! Such a diva :D

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Collecting 2 ex breeding cavalier girls and bringing them to their foster in kildare tomorrow. Was going to dublin airport anyway to collect my sister so when i saw group was looking for transport i volunteered. Totally didn't think it through though and am nervous now about how journey will go seeing as they've prob never been in a car before and it's a 2 hour journey! Anyone have any tips other than bringing towels and asking their owner not to feed them in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

nala2012 wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips other than bringing towels and asking their owner not to feed them in the morning?

My rescue dog hates being in the car when she can't see us so if you have room on your back seat you could secure their crate there so they can't see you or leave the seat down in your boot so they can see into the car. Also if you can stop mid journey so they can get out and stretch their legs, go to the toilet etc

• Advertisement

The dogs were back in the park this morning and allowed to swim after 2 weeks... I go to record them diving in...then Lucy hunkers down....and POOS in the river!! :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement