Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Our Zooplus order arrived today and I'd bought some Catessy for our 4 to try. So far 3 of them have sniffed it and walked away. Toby hasn't surfaced from the sofa yet so not sure what he's gonna make of it. The other 3 had a look of 'what is this filth and why is it in my bowl' on their furry little faces.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

both dogs have been put into time out, ie put into their crates, for fighting.

Been waiting till Elly settles and is quiet before letting her out - going to be a long night!!

She's been giving out for the last 20 minutes, only stopping to catch her breath!

My landlord adores cats, which is good news for our Amelia, since he was around to discuss things this evening, and in that time she walked all over the table (she knows it's bad!), opened a cupboard and took out a pack of Koka noodles, then chased her tail for fifteen minutes, followed by grabbing him by the leg and biting him. She only ever misbehaves when strangers come into the house! She's a lovely cat otherwise! Last time the landlord was around she was really tiny, and decided to greet him with a great big poo in the middle of the kitchen floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Dude ate an entire pack of dreamies treats, the most he gets is one or two a day. i was laughing when I first found out, it's not so funny now that I've to clean up the diarrhoea he's been having since :(

Dude ate an entire pack of dreamies treats, the most he gets is one or two a day. i was laughing when I first found out, it's not so funny now that I've to clean up the diarrhoea he's been having since :(

Oh NO!! That happened to me just before Christmas... a housemate mistook a bag of Dreamies (or, as known in this house, Kitten Crack Cocaine) for a portion of catfood, put the entire pouch into her dish.... the results were pretty smelly too!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

It's at times like that SillyMango that I'm glad ours look to use the loo outdoors :D
    Me and Squeak have been steadily working our way through a share bag of cheesepuffs this evening too. I was happily munching away and she came over and kept trying to lick my face. I put her down, she jumped back up and stuck her head in the bag and stole one.
    So she gets to sit on my lap crunching away on some. Idiot. :P

Meanwhile, Kovu is up in the attic pottering about at cat stuff. Although judging by the sounds above my head, he's digging through a bag of something or other.

My cat decided she likes garlic chips! I know onions are a no-no for both dogs and cats, but garlic? I think that's ok? I found this out when I got a takeaway, left it down for 20 seconds, and Meels stole some of my chips!

I housetrained our little madam over Christmas but she still wont meow to go outside, she just wees in the coal box. No poos in the house yet. I put her outside for an hour at a go pretty regularly. She hates outside. She wants to be in. But I put my foot down, she's an adult now, and she's spayed, no more litter trays. She can go outside.

Unfortunately my stupid housemates think it's "too cold" to put her out. She's not exactly a tropical creature! In fact she was an outdoor cat when I got her!

Dude looks to go outside to the loo too, but he's not allowed out after dark! So I put him into the utility; it's tiled so easier clean. When I went out to check on him... He had broken into the treat box AGAIN, ate ANOTHER pack of dreamies, two of those tesco stick treats and a half pack of ID food... The ID will counteract all the treats... Right..? Oh I dread the morning. Treat box is now secured in another room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Unfortunately my stupid housemates think it's "too cold" to put her out. She's not exactly a tropical creature! In fact she was an outdoor cat when I got her!

In fairness it is absolutely freezing outside so for her health it's better to have her inside until she wants to go out. My huge ginger male, also neutered, was let out for a few hours during the week and now has lovely gunky eyes to show for it! As for house training did you keep her litter tray in one spot or move it around? I always kept my cats litter trays at the door when I was toilet training them so After a few weeks I removed the litter trays and when the cats went to the door looking for their litter tray I'd open the door for them to use the garden and they quickly figured out to meow or sit at the door when they had to go to the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:( I ordered an otoscope from amazon to look into Lucy's ears and make sure they're clean - an empty padded envelope arrived this morning! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Well I've finally admitted defeat, we do have 4 cats now, grey fluffy has not found a home due to her freaking and running when anyone came to see her, so we have named her and she's staying.
    Here she is Arabella (Mrs Figg ;) ) with poor old Jake who just accepts all the animals coming through the house with such grace.

o8uic5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We've had lots of sleet today which isn't melting. Toby and Poppy must not have seen sleet before as they're fascinated by it, and a bit freaked out by it. Toby won't use the litter tray so he spent 20 minutes and 3 attempts to build up his courage to go out for a loo break. Poppy looked at it, stepped out into the garden and ran upstairs.:D Felix and Jazzy are old pro's with it so not really interested in it.

Another fight here again tonight. This time over food, first time that's ever happened. Tried to seperate them and got bitten for my troubles. Nasty bruise on the back of my hand - very painful but thankfully no blood.

No idea how I'm going to deal with this, as it stands my OH is threatening to get rid of one or both of them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Another fight here again tonight. This time over food, first time that's ever happened. Tried to seperate them and got bitten for my troubles. Nasty bruise on the back of my hand - very painful but thankfully no blood.

No idea how I'm going to deal with this, as it stands my OH is threatening to get rid of one or both of them. :(

What breed(s) are they?

I have to say that the good thing is you know what they were fighting over, so you can manage that. What was it last time do you know?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

mymo wrote: »
    Well I've finally admitted defeat, we do have 4 cats now, grey fluffy has not found a home due to her freaking and running when anyone came to see her, so we have named her and she's staying.
    Here she is Arabella (Mrs Figg ;) ) with poor old Jake who just accepts all the animals coming through the house with such grace.

OMG her tail!!!!

Anyways oooops!! We thought Bailey was being a devil hiding under the table before his walk - which he often does to get a treat bribe so he'll come out...until he cried after about 10 mins to tell us he was actually stuck!! :rolleyes: :p

VonVix wrote: »
    What breed(s) are they?

I have to say that the good thing is you know what they were fighting over, so you can manage that. What was it last time do you know?

9mth Collie x (with what we have no idea!)& 5 yr old Jack Russel x Dachshund, both bitches, JRT is spayed but collie not yet.

Yesterday they fought over a bone chew - they have 4 between them to choose from. Its usually over a toy that they fight. This was the worst one yet, I've been nipped before which is fair enough - very tempted to leave them to it the next time!!
    They've only had a handle of fights really since we got Elly in August.

tk123 wrote: »
    OMG her tail!!!!

Yes, its pretty impressive, and gets about twice as fluffy as in that pic when she's prancing about playing.

Poor Bailey, we've had similar here with Oliver, he was howling upstairs one day (which he kind of does sometimes, no idea why, just one howl, sometimes wagging his tail, Tiffi does it when she feels ignored :rolleyes: ) and I thought he was just being his odd self, but he was shut in a room!

Yesterday they fought over a bone chew - they have 4 between them to choose from. Its usually over a toy that they fight. This was the worst one yet, I've been nipped before which is fair enough - very tempted to leave them to it the next time!!

My two (also a Jack russel and collie X, both female) fight over similar things to yours. It's always the terrier who starts it. Their both spayed also but never fought until after they were spayed. They've had 3 serious fights so play time and feeding is always closely monitored. When they fight I push them apart with the sweeping brush, much better than sticking my hands between them! the terrier will growl before she attacks but she'll stop if I correct her and send her to her bed. Do either of your dogs give a warning before hand?

Question for anyone who uses vet bed, do hairs come off it easier? Does it repel odour better than normal blankets?

• Advertisement

SingItOut wrote: »
    My two (also a Jack russel and collie X, both female) fight over similar things to yours. It's always the terrier who starts it. Their both spayed also but never fought until after they were spayed. They've had 3 serious fights so play time and feeding is always closely monitored. When they fight I push them apart with the sweeping brush, much better than sticking my hands between them! the terrier will growl before she attacks but she'll stop if I correct her and send her to her bed. Do either of your dogs give a warning before hand?

It's the terrier here that always starts it as well. She does growl first, the pup either ignores it or isn't clued in to what it means. I can't always react quick enough to stop it either.
    I must keep a sweeping brush to hand! I've just ordered another crate, so will be easier to manage to separate them when necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

It's the terrier here that always starts it as well. She does growl first, the pup either ignores it or isn't clued in to what it means. I can't always react quick enough to stop it either.
    I must keep a sweeping brush to hand! I've just ordered another crate, so will be easier to manage to separate them when necessary.

Same as here, if there's a fight it's because the JRT has started it :(

I use vetbed for dogs and cats, but my dogs don't shed!
    Cats however make up for it, I just hoover it before a wash with the small head for upholstery.

Oh my god the snow! I hope it's not fully gone by tomorrow, Dude has never seen snow before so it would be nice for him to get to see it, even though he'll be a shivering wreck the second he even sees the back door :D

I brought him out in my arms. He does NOT like snow, he was terrified of all that white crap falling on his head :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Vets :mad: Necessary at times, drive you up the wall at others... The dog was in there for three days before new years, another appointment last week and right at this very moment he's hunched up beside me in obvious pain, with an absess on his back foot, something unknown wrong with his front foot which is stemming from his shoulder, and what looks like an anal gland infection, despite the vet checking. He was being treated for pneumonia, a bladder infection and a gut infection. Christ but it's hard to watch. X-rays, antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and told he might have a heart condition and maybe arthritis (except that problem they spotted was the same one we went in with 6 years ago and spent thousands for them to tell us they had no idea what was wrong and he'd have to be sent to UCD which we'd have to organise ourselves, all of this on record of course)... over 400 euro in treatment for nothing. Now we're snowed in with no car and no way to get to a vets. It all seems very treatable if the vets would actually get their arses in gear and stop messing around and do what seems to be just anything to get more money off us. He wouldn't have even been in the vets for that long if they just took the X ray instead of insisting on waiting... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

9mth Collie x (with what we have no idea!)& 5 yr old Jack Russel x Dachshund, both bitches, JRT is spayed but collie not yet.

Yeah, I'd scrap anything that they could squabble over, even if they have more than one around to choose from. Dogs generally are of the opinion "if he has/wants that one, it must be better than the other hundred around me."

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Casher

Was out for my morning walk with my 10 month old Bichon at 7am on a rural untreated road. About 1cm snow. Dexter didn't know what to make of it at first, but after the first couple of meters loved walking, running & bouncing in the snow!! First time I've seen a bichon with a white nose!!

I posted a few weeks ago about an off lead dog running and barking at the tires of my car as I was swinging out of my road. This morning the same dog crossed the road in front of me - I couldn't even see where he was from the car. Only that I had anticipated it happening and slowed down I would have run him over! Of course no acknowledgement from the owner again. I almost pulled over to give out to him but was running late for work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Has anyone ever had a reaction to a vaccine? Thinking of fostering so I got Jesse vaccinated yesterday, she's 18 months old and her first vaccination. She's been very sleepy and off her food since which isn't like her at all, she's normally got her nose stuck in everything and constantly meowing for food. I know they can be a little drowsy afterwards and was warned as such but shes like this 24 hours now. Never come across such a reaction with any of the other lot.

• Advertisement

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Has anyone ever had a reaction to a vaccine? Thinking of fostering so I got Jesse vaccinated yesterday, she's 18 months old and her first vaccination. She's been very sleepy and off her food since which isn't like her at all, she's normally got her nose stuck in everything and constantly meowing for food. I know they can be a little drowsy afterwards and was warned as such but shes like this 24 hours now. Never come across such a reaction with any of the other lot.

Did she get the FeLV vaccine? I remember Cream was very out of sorts for 2-3 days afterward, not eating, sleeping all the time and not wanting to be touched. If it was just the normal vaccine I don't think reactions should last longer than 24 hours!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement