Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Did she get the FeLV vaccine? I remember Cream was very out of sorts for 2-3 days afterward, not eating, sleeping all the time and not wanting to be touched. If it was just the normal vaccine I don't think reactions should last longer than 24 hours!

Ya it included the FeLV vaccine. Bunty got that one a few times before and she was always fine. I think il wait til the morning and give them a buzz if she's still out of sorts. Just so strange to see her sitting still, we're even able to eat beside her without her trying to climb onto the plate!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is it like a first vaccination for dogs like 7 in one etc? If so yes - it does seem to take it out of my two anyways. They're tired and quite for a day or so afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

One of my cats used to be very out of sorts for 48 hours after his vaccinations, sleeping a lot and wouldn't let me touch him. It only happened when he was a kitten / young cat and the vet said it happened I'm some cases. He seems to have grown out of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

The FeLV vaccine is rough compared to just the average booster, it really does knock it out of them. I've only given it to my lot course of it cos cream was so bad after it, the other two were just a bit grumpy and off colour but it really affected cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I was helping a rescue with their annual flag day collection today and was partnered with a lady who had a gorgeous dog with her. Our 4 cats weren't at all impressed when I came home smelling of dog. They were sniffing my clothes and climbing all over my shopping bags(had to put the empty bags in the bin). There was a distinct look of disgust.:D

• Advertisement

My two-year-old budgie Drake made a break for the big (bedroom) outdoors. I was trying to fix a perch in the cage when Drake slipped by my hand and flew for freedom! But budgies are cowards mostly, Drake was afriaded being alone without his brother Cloud and my little hen bird, Yellow. Drake flew around being scared, until I caught him. He then started giving out, real angry bird stuff! I was almost reduced to tears at the cuteness, Cloud and Yellow were so upset at Drakie's upset. Budgies are so under appreciated!

I was helping a rescue with their annual flag day collection today and was partnered with a lady who had a gorgeous dog with her. Our 4 cats weren't at all impressed when I came home smelling of dog. They were sniffing my clothes and climbing all over my shopping bags(had to put the empty bags in the bin). There was a distinct look of disgust.:D

My dad would have turned 66 yesterday had he not left us too early, but you reminded me of one of my dad's best coined phrases:

Our old cat, known as Mammy Cat, has a terrible attitude. She's just plain mean, but we love her anyway. She was put off the couch one night and got very miffed - my dad said "That cat has a face like a jar of jalapenos".

Loved it.

I think my other favourite Da-ism is "Stopped dead in his tracks, like a man caught by the Angleus."

Jesse seems to be back to normal today so no cause for concern :) Although it was nice to not have her jumping up on the counters and hanging out of me for food all the time :rolleyes:

My neighbours bred their husky so now have a litter of pups, I can hear them howling meaning they must be outdoors... The poor babies :( they dont sound distressed or anything, just normal husky puppy talk, but it's freezing tonight and these pups aren't even 6 weeks :(

Toby was picking his way across the frozen grass when I looked for him this morning. You'd think they'd want to stay indoors when it's so cold outdoors. The grass on the green is a bit overgrown and was thick with frost, it was hillarious watching him, he looked like a Fat Controller puppet, even though he isn't fat.:D Felix and Jazzy were sitting on the wall watching him in fascination. Until the bitch next door opened the door and started effing and blinding at them for sitting on the dividing wall. What harm she thinks 2 cats sitting on a wall can do to a house with a concrete garden I have no idea.:mad: You don't expect that crap at 7am on a Sunday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Decided that because it was so cold, I'd do most of my work at home today. Otherwise they would have to be outside between 9 and 3pm. Obviously they have lovely warm kennels, but me being soft I decided not to put them out.

Had them crated whilst I took my son to school, then since I've been home, where have they wanted to be - yep - outside! Typical!!

I have to keep checking on them as Tara is an escape artist and Elly is a jumper, however both seem happy running round with a frozen toy!

So I've got nothing done as when they are in, they want to be out and when they are out, I have to keep checking on them:rolleyes:

:p

335668.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Came back from grocery shopping, trying to get heavy bags in the door, bloody Tux made a bolt for freedom :eek::eek::eek: Tux is my found/feral kitten - indoors only cat, until shes neutered, due in Feb. She flew out the door like a bolt of lightening, with my terrier after her. We have a huge garden, fenced all around in the middle of fields. So I tried to follow her calmly, calling her, while she zoomed to one side of the lawn, back under my jeep, zoomed under a hedge, back under my jeep - the terrier after her all the time (Great fun!) thankfully, so I could track where she was. Thought I was in serious trouble, but after much zooming, she finally stopped and let me pick her up. We all 3 came in and had a very nice lunch to recover :o

I swear cats are the most unreasonable, unbiddable, undomesticated, willful, irrational, confusing, irritating, maddening, frustrating and uncontrollable creatures we call pets (she is now fast asleep under the dog who is on my lap, under my laptop as I type)

Vets wed a.m for vaccinations, and schedule neutering - more fun for Tux!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

My dad was out walking the dogs today in the forestry walk where he always walks them. Dogs have to be kept on a lead there which ours always are, he was almost around the turn back to the car when an off lead staffy came flying at him and went for moone. My dad in his panic pulled moone up into his arms and the staffy was jumping up biting at my dads arms and back. My dad was bitten on the hand and his jacket is torn at the back. The staffy male owner did nothing but the woman that was with him tried to get the dog off my dad. Eventually she did, my dad shouted at the male owner who said nothing but his wife was talking and he (the other man) told her to F**k up! Disgusting man! :mad:
    My dad knows him and will be reporting him. Our dogs are ok, Alli came running into the house and straight into my arms she's really freaked out by the whole thing :(makes my blood boil! I'm just grateful the staffy didn't get either of my dogs they wouldn't stand a chance :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I sent my Crufts entry in tonight, entries close at midnight. Still not sure if we will go or not, but if we're not entered, then we definitely can't, so this way I can decide nearer the time. Riley and I have only ever entered one 'proper' dog show in our lives, and qualified for Crufts, people are saying we should go, just for the experience, so maybe we will.

That would certainly be an experience Muddypaws!

I seriously thought there was an intruder outside earlier this morning, the dogs went ballistic at the back door, hackles were all up. I went to them fearing the worst!
    SEAGULLS!!! Poxy seagulls, tha'ts what they were kicking off about! God help if we ever have an intruder. :eek::eek:

angeldaisy wrote: »

I seriously thought there was an intruder outside earlier this morning, the dogs went ballistic at the back door, hackles were all up. I went to them fearing the worst!
    SEAGULLS!!! Poxy seagulls, tha'ts what they were kicking off about! God help if we ever have an intruder. :eek::eek:

Hey that's funny because we were out walking this morning and I saw the postman's bike in the cat house so crossed the road..Bailey barked anyways at what I assumed was the postman or one of the cats but as we went down the road both dogs were really tense and not moving. I took one of my earphones out and could hear shrieking/wailing - I'd no idea if it was a cats or birds but the dogs were freaked out by it! I wonder if it was seagulls lol!

Got Jesse some lamb heart yesterday, she went wild for it. Is there such a thing as too much? Would a wee chunk (10 thumb nail size chunks) once or twice a week be too much?

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Got Jesse some lamb heart yesterday, she went wild for it. Is there such a thing as too much? Would a wee chunk (10 thumb nail size chunks) once or twice a week be too much?

It depends on the individual - I can feed Bailey a full meal of sliced beef heart which he loves and no probs. If I gave that much to Lucy it'd be too rich for her and give her the runs. It's muscle remember not organ so if they can handle it feed them as much as you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

tk123 wrote: »
    It depends on the individual - I can feed Bailey a full meal of sliced beef heart which he loves and no probs. If I gave that much to Lucy it'd be too rich for her and give her the runs. It's muscle remember not organ so if they can handle it feed them as much as you want.

I dice 4 lamb hearts with carrot & potato, a thumb of ginger, a clove of garlic and a cup of water before cooking as a casserole for 2/3 hours or so when I've something in the oven for us as well. It makes eight portions to top her kibble so that she relishes a meal rather than picking.

• Advertisement

Something is stressing Felix out, he sprayed the kitchen curtains earlier on. Not sure what's upsetting him.:(

My mam is sitting in the armchair in front of the fire with Cream on her lap, Dude in her arms and Peach lying across her foot. I'm sitting on the couch, freezing, trying to convince one of the cats to join me but it's just not working :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Those cats sure know what side their bread is buttered on:D

tk123 wrote: »

No sign of any ill stomach yet. I must take another trip to the butchers and get a few more tasty bits for her. Out of interest is a beef heart about the size of a person's head, seen two big hearts beside the lamb hearts, presumed they must be beef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Kovu's fascination for the attic remains.
    6am this morning he started miaowing to get up. Ugh. No thanks, he got pegged out the window until 9am!

Just now though, I heard him come down the ladder so I went to close it, leaving a tub of Greek olives that I'd been picking at open on the table.
    Came back to find Kovu sprawled on the table with olives everywhere.

And this is how I found out that they can contain a similar chemical to catnip :pac:

(Kovu now smells delicious though, there's a bright side!)

Tux always smells gorgeous - from all the cuddles/snuggles from women who wear perfume :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Its funny you say that Aonb, my dogs don't get that doggy smell (something to do with their hair) but I know where they have been sleeping by the smell. Daughter was home before me and they must have been in her bed as I could smell it off them when I got home.

That sounds like she's a stinky teenager, but I just mean the smell of her perfume or the spray scent she uses of her bedding to help her sleep.

I know if they've been in my bed too, I have a orange and citrus reed diffuser by my bed and I can smell it off them.

Cats are the same, and when daughters friends come over, I know who's been getting hugs by the smell of them all!

my dog is the same :)
    My daughter wears a perfume I dont particularly care for, when shes home, the dog reeks of it :o

I had to turn off the animal programme. Our own cats were freaking out at the sound of other cats on the TV. Felix and Poppy were hunting for them.

• Advertisement

My 2 had their first ever swim today!! With all the rain we've had the streams are much higher. Tara went first expecting to paddle through, she got a bit of a shock and got out fairly sharpish! Elly followed her, neither would cross back though. We had to walk down to the bridge to get them back over!!
    Both are panned out fast asleep!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement