Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Toby was in the wars again last night. Poor chap got battered in a fight and I had him at the vets this morning. Since he need anaesthetising we're 130 euro lighter this week.:( Seriously, if anyone is thinking of keeping their cat indoor only, you really should. The only reason ours aren't indoor only is that one of them was a feral kitten who as an adult, totally panics and freaks out if the cat flap is locked, even though he's a furry ball of cuddles and snuggles.

Poor Toby...Hard I know but mine remain indoor outdoor. My feral has seen off all other would be intruders and now tries to see my two off but they can climb trees faster than he can.. like your one who panics my two would.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 wrote: »
    Poor Toby...Hard I know but mine remain indoor outdoor. My feral has seen off all other would be intruders and now tries to see my two off but they can climb trees faster than he can.. like your one who panics my two would.

Dont laugh too much! Just spent several minutes calling in my black and white cat from across the field and wondering why he did not come.. then he came up behind me...a plastic bag caught on a tree stump was what I was calling in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Toby always sniffs the Metacam in his food so I thought I'd be sneaky and buy a few different brands today and see if he'd like any enough to wolf it down regardless. So, I put the dose of Metacam in a bowl of Sheba and left it on the worktop for a minute while I went upstairs. I came down to Jazzy licking his lips after devouring the whole flipping lot of it.:eek: If I tried to get him to eat it he wouldn't touch it. Toby's still asleep so I don't know how well my sneakiness is going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I had really really long hair up till today, it's all cut up about chin/neck length now. Dude is absolutely disgusted, he used to love putting his paws in through my hair around my shoulder and kneading, he tried to do it today only to find no hair so he jumped down off me in disgust and hasn't come over for any more cuddles since! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

People would drive you crazy! Was walking at local rescue yesterday and there was pup there only 5 months old and image of my nala. She was surrendered to vets to be pts for growling at a child who was standing on her tail and had backed her into a corner.
    I'm taking a great dane out of the pound today. Friend has got her a rescue space in dundalk so i'll just have her for the night. She was surrendered because she kept knocking over the kids! Seems like they are both christmas pups...
    Will people ever learn???

• Advertisement

Poor Toby, his tummy is totally bald since the vet had to shave it to check the wounds from the fight. Poor chap is huddled up trying to stay warm, just as well we got a fill of kerosene a few weeks ago. I've been sweltering in the house keeping him warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Cut a sleeve off an old jumper to the right length and slip it onto his bald tummy - like a boob-tube!!

So it turned out the great dane pup is 15 months and not 5 months like i thought!

aonb wrote: »
    Cut a sleeve off an old jumper to the right length and slip it onto his bald tummy - like a boob-tube!!

Good thinking, but he'd eat me. :D We have loads of warm blankets on his favourite bit of the sofa and a really warm blanket on our bed that he loves. The only thing is that he is feeling very clingy with me so is following me everywhere when I leave a room. I'd say with all the missing fur he knows he's vulnerable and he sees me as his protector, so this is making him more clingy than ever. He sat on my lap on Monday when we got back from the vet. That's only the second time in the 18 months or so that he's been with us. He loves company but isn't sure about laps. He hasn't done it since though, so I'm chalking it up to the drugs he was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

nala2012 wrote: »
    So it turned out the great dane pup is 15 months and not 5 months like i thought!

You can drop him at my house, he's a gorgeous looking fella! How could someone get rid of him

• Advertisement

Zapperzy wrote: »
    You can drop him at my house, he's a gorgeous looking fella! How could someone get rid of him

There's a half starved great Dane on the dog pound page today. Poor dog is emaciated, how the fcuk can people do that? I just don't get it.:mad:

Foiled again yesterday trying to get Metacam into Toby. I tried Sheba, Gourmet fish/ Gourmet chicken and salmon and finally got a tiny amount into him in the Whiskas tinned chicken, not even the Whiskas Oh So Stinky was enough to sneak it into him. He's onto me now, so not sure what to try next. Maybe some tinned salmon later, at least he seems better in himself.

Zapperzy wrote: »

Molly is a girl! She's so sweet. Her likes are snuggling the the bed, drinking out of the sink, playing and eating. She dislikes the car and being dumped in the pound! She had loads of interest in her and the woman who was transporting her to rescue called me after 5 mins saying she couldnt take her cos she was stressed and crying. When i got back to her she was asleep so there's been a change of plan and molly is in foster until homechecks can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I met a 7 month old great dane once. Sitting down he was able to touch his nose off my chin lol!! :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

They are gorgeous dogs, think I'd need a bigger couch and bank balance for one though 😀

I'm reading the Tom Cox book Talk to the tail at the moment, it's hillarious. Interesting to see things from a mad cat mans perspective for a change.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Cuddling with dude as usual, he jumps down and hides under the coffee table. This is his signal of needing the toilet so I bring him out to the utility, take his nappy off and leave him to do his business for about 20 mins. I let him in again after and before I had the chance to put his nappy back on he ran over to peaches food bowl and pooped in it. Looks like he's leaving presents on his birthday instead of receiving them!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Happy birthday Dude from one of your internet fans:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

tk123 wrote: »
    The only thing is with him taking the band off outside is that I'm worried it'll get lost. I've been putting it thru is collar but I can see now that a piece of elastic would be less to worry about say if we're out in the open where I'd have no chance of finding it if it did fall off.

So ended up putting some thin elastic around his collar to thread the band through as it worked much better/was more comfortable than threading through the the collar itself.. Unfortunately I forgot to thread it through the elastic this morning and our precious band was lost in the dunes!!:( I was going to get some elastic the other day to use for the dunes and all but didn't have time to drop into hickeys at lunchtime!
    My own stupid fault but very annoying as it had made a HUGE difference to him - especially on our evening walks where he was just relaxed and happier in himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

tk123 wrote: »
    So ended up putting some thin elastic around his collar to thread the band through as it worked much better/was more comfortable than threading through the the collar itself.. Unfortunately I forgot to thread it through the elastic this morning and our precious band was lost in the dunes!!:( I was going to get some elastic the other day to use for the dunes and all but didn't have time to drop into hickeys at lunchtime!
    My own stupid fault but very annoying as it had made a HUGE difference to him - especially on our evening walks where he was just relaxed and happier in himself.

Oh no :(

• Advertisement

We have a figure of 8 shaped Fushion scratching post/table that Felix and Poppy love but which Toby has gotten very attached to since his tummy was shaved. Anytime the others approach it while he's on it he's growling and hissing at them. He's got a follow up appointment at the vets tomorrow to see how he's doing. Thankfully the shaving worked and he hasn't developed any abcesses.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Just made my first purchase on zoo plus, new toys for the chinchilla and some treats for the dogs and cats, and only €5 delivery! No complaints :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Opie's just home from the vets after getting neutered.

Boy, is he angry!

Tux is my first female pet - have always had dogs or geldings; never a bitch or mare, so apologies if this is a naive question biggrin.png

When a female cat is neutered, or a bitch for that matter - how does one - or a vet know that the female has been spayed - e.g. if it was lost/found and rehomed or whatever... would they have to go through the anaesthetic and surgery to find out that shes already been spayed?!? I think feral cats released after spaying have a mark on their ear or something? Wouldnt it be a good idea to have like a S (for spayed) tattoo put on a females ear or something?

Just thinking how horrible it would be if a poor female had to go thru surgery to be spayed when it had already been done - another 'pro' for male dogs with their dangly bits!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

The scar on their side would be a giveaway to a vet so intrusive surgery more than likely wouldn't happen by accident.

But unless you shave them.......eh....I don't think there is a way of knowing :pac:

yes, you have a point, but Tux, who just got spayed yesterday, has a TINY incision, if they shaved her missing just that little bit, they wouldnt know she was already done.... :eek: Bad enough being new to cats, but being new to females as well is all a bit stressful!! Oh well, on the bright side, she didnt go in to heat etc!

yes, you have a point, but Tux, who just got spayed yesterday, has a TINY incision, if they shaved her missing just that little bit, they wouldnt know she was already done.... :eek: Bad enough being new to cats, but being new to females as well is all a bit stressful!! Oh well, on the bright side, she didnt go in to heat etc!

Wait until she has a false heat :D

Waaaaooooowaaaaaoooohhhhaaaohhooooaaaaaaaaw!

(my take on how our cat sounds when she has a longing for a furry man!)

Kovu wrote: »
    Wait until she has a false heat :D

Waaaaooooowaaaaaoooohhhhaaaohhooooaaaaaaaaw!

(my take on how our cat sounds when she has a longing for a furry man!)

are you serious?!?!
    Not every female cat gets a false heat though, right?!?!?
    Jeez, I may have a special needs dog and a horse that is afraid of his shadow, but give me a male pet any day :D

p.s. Im hoping that Tux is so tiny/stunted size wise, that she will skip the false heat if its optional !?

Kovu wrote: »
    The scar on their side would be a giveaway to a vet so intrusive surgery more than likely wouldn't happen by accident.

But unless you shave them.......eh....I don't think there is a way of knowing :pac:

This. We took our little cat Poppy to be spayed last year as we found her and didn't know if she'd been spayed. It was only when the vet shaved her that they found the spay scar. Most of our cats have been male, not intentionally, it's just been mainly male cats that showed up to move in. :D

• Advertisement

are you serious?!?!
    Not every female cat gets a false heat though, right?!?!?
    Jeez, I may have a special needs dog and a horse that is afraid of his shadow, but give me a male pet any day :D

p.s. Im hoping that Tux is so tiny/stunted size wise, that she will skip the false heat if its optional !?

I honestly don't have a clue:pac: Squeak was preggers when she showed up at our door so maybe that has some impact on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement