Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Well my babies are in kennels for the weekend for their very first time. They seemed fine, me on the other hand....

Can't wait to see them again tomorrow, but on the other hand, it's lovely not being woken at stupid o'clock by whining to get out of the crate and into the bed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I posted a pic in the pics thread earlier of Bailey with his ball. A few weeks ago he sat holding it in his mouth just like he did before Lucy was old enough to charge in and rob it off him. Anyways he's still holding it.. We looked over at him there and realised he's been standing up for at least 10-15 mins with his head down holding the ball on the bed. I had to take his collar and lead him onto the bed to sit with the ball instead lol! :p

Amelia and myself are settling into our new house. There are two doggies in the yard who she likes to look at through my window, or the patio door in the kitchen. Now that she knows they can't burst through it and get her, that is! There are two cats here, Darcy and herself just stare at each other and hiss a bit. Nathan is totally out of sorts! He brought in a dead rat today and sat in the kitchen defending it. I had to chase him out (he's a bit mean to me too) and throw it away.

I meant to keep Amelia in for a few weeks, but she's already escaped over and over, she's a smart little cat. She doesn't go too far from me though! My boyfriend kept following her, down the street as she explored, till I told him to come back - soon as she couldn't see him, she came tearing back up the road! She also managed to bring about the wrath of 30 odd magpies today, though how, I don't know. I went outside to see what the racket was about, and lo - of course she had to be involved somehow!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Well, there we have it. After 5 months of Opie living here, after waking up at night trying to stop him eating his own poop, teaching him that no-one really wants to steal his dog food, getting covered in bruises and scrapes while trying to train him out of jumping and chewing our faces, showing him that it is possible to "tell" us he needs to go outside instead of relying on a piercing stare in our direction, after him chewing the wall, the skirting board, the TV cables, the hoover plug, after him digging up over half of the garden which we had to re-level and re-sow with grass, after stealing over 3 bags of kindling sticks, after emptying an entire bag of coal over the patio, after ripping and sexually mutilating not one, not two, but three dog beds and after realising that hiding his toys outside meant that we would forget we had bought them and buy him more...

My OH has finally bonded :o
    We still both miss Shadow with every inch of our being and would do just about anything to have him back. But, thankfully, getting rid of Opie is no longer one of those things! :pac:

Right to retract statement reserved when my OH gets back from the shop with milk and Opie headbutts him in the testicles before promptly sitting and waiting for his treat :pac:

175d0b66-00df-4752-a711-2e7c623be123.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I have only one dog now (lost 2 last summer). This dog is not the brightest dog, but the nicest personality. His wing-man (who was also his uncle!!) he absolutely adored, but the older dog was pretty aloof (being older). I used to feel so sorry for the younger dog.

Now we have a cat. The cat adores the dog! (The dog really likes the cat too) But the cat wants to hug, stroke and sleep by the dog all the time. When they are outside together, the cat shadows the dog. The cat wants to play chase and hide-and-seek with the dog outside. The dog totally ignores the poor cat. I feel really sorry for her!

Why cant I have pets that love each other the same. Its not too much to ask is it?!?!?! (apart from that life is pretty good and I have nothing to complain about :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

aonb wrote: »
    The cat adores the dog! (The dog really likes the cat too) But the cat wants to hug, stroke and sleep by the dog all the time. When they are outside together, the cat shadows the dog. The cat wants to play chase and hide-and-seek with the dog outside. The dog totally ignores the poor cat. I feel really sorry for her!

Are you sure that Tux doesn't think she is a dog in disguise?

Amelia got outside again, it's late so I worry about her, but I shouldn't because she's a big cat, not a kitten. But she's only lived her a few days. I went outside to try to get her and saw her having a very heated chat with a big, fat fluffy lump of a cat that everyone calls Fat Tony. He's really old. When I called for Meels, he came running over so I petted him and he went off home. Meels is still outside!

I don't think I'll ever be cut out for actual parenthood, I can't let my cat out of my sight!

on_my_oe wrote: »
    Are you sure that Tux doesn't think she is a dog in disguise?

You know, sometimes I wonder if she knows shes a cat! Apart from a cat who chased her up a tree last week (and she still hasnt recovered from that ordeal) she hasnt actually ever seen a cat, whereas shes seen lots of dogs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I started a Terry Pratchett book yesterday and I think our cats think I've gone mad. The book is really funny but whenever I start laughing they just look at me. I suppose to them it looks like I'm laughing at some paper in my hands.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Our dog's mother is very sick in the vets, probably going to be PTS this eve :( she developed pyo not too long ago and got spayed, she never fully recovered from the surgery and has now developed tumours and her liver is failing. They were asking me advise ages ago on if they should get her spayed, I told them to do it as soon as possible but they never listened :( she's the sweetest dog, such a dote, the complete picture of a golden retriever. At least one, maybe two, of her previous litters went on to be trained as autism assistence dogs. Ill miss her spending her summers up in my garden. She used to miss her family so much when they went back home for the summers, I was the only one who she would go for a walk with or take a treat from!

• Advertisement

OMFG the SMELL!! Got a bag of tripe sticks in dealz at lunchtime.. and the car has been in the sun the last few hours :eek:

I'm going to book Toby in for a check up tomorrow. Something seems a bit off, nothing specific that I could point at but he seems a bit lethargic and isn't eating as much as he normally would, but still eating and drinking. I hate the idea of stressing him out with another vet trip but there's just a niggle in the back of my mind when I'm watching him that tells me something is off.

I'm going to book Toby in for a check up tomorrow. Something seems a bit off, nothing specific that I could point at but he seems a bit lethargic and isn't eating as much as he normally would, but still eating and drinking. I hate the idea of stressing him out with another vet trip but there's just a niggle in the back of my mind when I'm watching him that tells me something is off.

I was the same last week with Bailey! Turned out there was nothing to be worried about... but not knowing that really had me worrying lol!!

He was a brat at the vets too

- tried to open the front door to escape the waiting room in the morning
    - approached everyone who came in with his tail wagging then tried to walk past them to the door
    - tried to open the door of the examining room to escape
    - barked at the vet when he was in the crate (she told me that evening lol)
    - didn't finish the breakfast I'd sent with him - although thinking back it may have been the bowl - he sometimes has problems lifting food that's stuck around the edge since his operation :o
    - barked the second I came to collect him and continued until he was sent out to me 40 mins later- then wagged his tail and stood against my legs like a bold child :rolleyes:
    - waited until we were out of the vets and almost home to go lame on a different leg and hopped around all evening (cleared up overnight thank god) freaking us out
    - jumped up in the night loads of times waking me and Lucy up
    - asked to be taken out during the night so he could sit down and look up at the sky :confused:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I worry about my lot like I would if they were kids. It's things like not hissing at Felix if Felix gets too close and not grooming himself as much as he usually does. I just noticed he's got a gunky eye as well. Since he's sleepy I didn't want to poke at him. Actually one of the most worrying things is that Felix is leaving him alone, that's very unusual for Felix unless Toby's been to the vet.

Pumpkinseeds, hope your visit to the vet goes well tomorrow - fingers crossed for u & Toby

Turns out Toby has an infection. He was running a temperature but has had an antibiotic injection and he'll have some painkiller for a few days. He's sprawled in front of me now, not letting me out of his sight and being very 'talkative':D I'm glad I trusted my gut and took him in to be checked instead of leaving it over the weekend.

I was very sad to read that Terry Pratchett has died, I'm a big fan and I know there are a few other fans on this forum, so I thought I'd post a quote from one of his books. :)

“I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Our small dog is named after a the witch in the Wee free Men books, Tiffany, but we call her Tiffi for short, the breeder asked if we had any name ideas and said she was thinking of Tiffany as part of her name (not knowing the books), my daughter was delighted.

Arabella was neutered yesterday, I had her shut in an empty room, with a snuggly bed and water, food and a snugglesafe heat pad. Of course she got out, ran around the house and hid. Got up this morning to find she's pulled out one of two stitches, wound isn't really open but I'll be back at the vets shortly. Shes the most nervous cat we've had, and the only one of our animals to ever go near their stitches.

Waiting on the vet to call so I can collect Arabella, she had to have the wound restitched. She will lose it if we put a cone on her, any ideas?
    I'm looking for an old long sleeved top to cut up at the mo.

mymo wrote: »
    Waiting on the vet to call so I can collect Arabella, she had to have the wound restitched. She will lose it if we put a cone on her, any ideas?
    I'm looking for an old long sleeved top to cut up at the mo.

Maybe something like a sleeve from a top? Something stretchy if you know what I mean? If she wears a collar you could tie the cone to the collar by threading something through the loops of the cone, we had to do that when Felix had a cone on. Our foster kitten had a cone on when we had her spayed so I slept on the floor of her safe room with her that night to keep her company, the following morning I went to the loo and by the time I got back she'd taken the collar off.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

:pac: :pac: lol That cat is NOT impressed!

Paper-Plate-Cat-Cone-Collar.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I have used tights before with Kovu to great effect but as he's indoor/outdoor they always got wet and he's arrive back with it hanging off him like an oversized t-shirt :D I don't think he was a fan of the tightness of it if you get my drift so I hope Arabella won't freak out about something being put on her.

I made this before, it's waterproof and covers all his tummy and clips around his chest to doubly make sure it won't come off. Handy as he always gets a rash on his tummy in Spring so it's needed.

xVviNuBm.png?1

Kovu wrote: »
    I have used tights before with Kovu to great effect but as he's indoor/outdoor they always got wet and he's arrive back with it hanging off him like an oversized t-shirt :D I don't think he was a fan of the tightness of it if you get my drift so I hope Arabella won't freak out about something being put on her.

I made this before, it's waterproof and covers all his tummy and clips around his chest to doubly make sure it won't come off. Handy as he always gets a rash on his tummy in Spring so it's needed.

xVviNuBm.png?1

:D:D:D There are so many juvenile innapropriate innuendo jokes I could make about that image. But I'll be a grown up:) It does look very practical though.

tk123 wrote: »
    :pac: :pac: lol That cat is NOT impressed!

Paper-Plate-Cat-Cone-Collar.jpeg

Beautiful cat.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

:D:D:D There are so many juvenile innapropriate innuendo jokes I could make about that image. But I'll be a grown up:) It does look very practical though.

:eek::D

Behave!

Well, putting anything on Arabella is no longer an option, she lost it! I was too worried she'd hurt herself so took it off.
    She is still a bit dopey, and is asleep again now, but I don't think the there's anything I could put on her safely. We'll just have to watch her and hope for the best. The vet has done a good job, he doesn't think she'll get them out this time, and I have her confined in the crate until tomorrow.
    She's the most beautiful cat, but still very nervous and we can't even put a collar on her, she will only let us touch her if she comes to us, even after several months, that's the reason she never found a home, everyone said she was feral.
    Her sister is very friendly and living with the vet and his daughter loves her, they are so different, and they were caught about 2 weeks apart, her sister first and was tamed in 24hrs. I always tried to catch them before 8 weeks, Arabella was almost 10 weeks.

Tonight we met Toby's nemesis. He'd been out for a few hours so I walked around the neighbourhood to look for him. He came running out of an alley after a big tabby, long story short he chased the cat up a tree and they continued to try to get at each other.:eek: In the chase to the tree the tabby kept standing his ground looking for a brawl.:rolleyes: I had to phone Mr Pumpkinseeds and get him to bring some food over to lure Toby down the tree. He's like 2 different cats, he wouldn't hurt a fly indoors.:confused:

Bailey's collar is in the vets to be xrayed lol!! Something showed up at the bottom of one of the xrays and she wants to see if it's the collar :p

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

tk123 wrote: »
    Bailey's collar is in the vets to be xrayed lol!! Something showed up at the bottom of one of the xrays and she wants to see if it's the collar :p

Haha that made me laugh, you couldn't make it up. :o:D

• Advertisement

Haha that made me laugh, you couldn't make it up. :o:D

Vet got told off by guru in UCD so is trying to clear her name hahaha :pac::P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement