Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

mymo wrote: »
    ShaShaBear have you tried offering more food while he's still eating? It may be the next step before swapping.

Thats what I started doing - just walk by him and drop something high value and walk away or even throw it near him if he's not happy with you walking near him yet.
    The positive side to yesterday is that I've decided this year I'm going to do what I've been putting off for ages and do a dog related course!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

ShaShaBear have you tried offering more food while he's still eating? It may be the next step before swapping.

That's where we are currently at, Mymo. If we have to approach or walk past, we drop treats, so that he knows our proximity is good. That approach has got him from snarling, baring teeth and even warning snaps if we walked towards him at all to now, when he is eating his normal feed you can walk past him and even let your leg brush his side/back with no reaction at all. High value treats such as raw meat are still tense, but he usually takes it to his crate and we leave him at it. We do the same thing (throw him treats) but the arm gesture can actually set him on the defence! :o He gets a few treats when he is going into his crate at night/when we're headed out, and you can now lock the crate while he is eating with no reaction as well. However, meat is another kettle of fish!

He doesn't guard any of his toys at all, except for his blue treat ball, and only when he knows there is food in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

She brought us a live fly!
    It's now a walk and won't last long.

This made me laugh out loud :D I always say any injured flies are called walks and my mother just groans and walks away from me :pac:
    I'm in charge of putting drops in my uncles dogs eyes as she has some ulcer/cloudyness. It's turned into a three person job to get her done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Neighbours a few doors up from us have either got a new dog or are minding someone else's dog and Jazzy and Poppy are freaking out about it. They like to walk along the walls and have a snoop but the dogs presence is putting a stop to that. Jazzy is constantly on guard at night in our garden. How he thinks the dog will scale a 7 foot wall and squeeze through a cat flap I don't know. It sounds like a big dog, especially at 6.30am :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Arabella has been running around the garden playing with Ruby and even Toby this afternoon, it's so funny, I swear she floats only occasional touching the ground!
    And she is FAST!
    I was trying to get a video, it's so funny, she will sleep again tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Oh jesus, the Supervet *sobs* :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Frigga_92 wrote: »
    Oh jesus, the Supervet *sobs* :(

Noooo don't say anything I'm not gonna get to see it till Saturday :O

Does anyone know of any website that sells and delivers the full range of Natures Menu food? I feed the puppies wet food as they never settled on a dry food after I tried them on loads. I've been feeding them Naturo for a few months now but lately they seem to have gone off their food. I bought some Natures Menu this week and they gobbled it down. Only thing is that the local pet shop only have 2 flavours of the pouches and they won't order in anything else.
    Natures Menu have tonnes of options on their website but they don't deliver to Ireland. Does anyone know of any website that sells and delivers the full range to Ireland?

Does anyone know of any website that sells and delivers the full range of Natures Menu food? I feed the puppies wet food as they never settled on a dry food after I tried them on loads. I've been feeding them Naturo for a few months now but lately they seem to have gone off their food. I bought some Natures Menu this week and they gobbled it down. Only thing is that the local pet shop only have 2 flavours of the pouches and they won't order in anything else.
    Natures Menu have tonnes of options on their website but they don't deliver to Ireland. Does anyone know of any website that sells and delivers the full range to Ireland?

There's loads of good quality wet foods on zooplus that would probably be cheaper and better quality than NM? It gave Bailey urine crystals so I'm not a fan of it tbh...

tk123 wrote: »
    There's loads of good quality wet foods on zooplus that would probably be cheaper and better quality than NM? It gave Bailey urine crystals so I'm not a fan of it tbh...

Is Natures Menu bad quality?

• Advertisement

Is Natures Menu bad quality?

No it's not bad quality but it's overpriced for what it is imo? Check out Rocco/Lukullus/Rinti on zooplus. I used to get Rocco Junior for Lucy - cheaper again on zooplus.de. That's 800g cans I linked to btw - you can get 400g too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I think I have mentioned it here 75429 times, but my boys love the Lukullus wet food. Even some days when I'm hungry it looks good...

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

tk123 wrote: »
    No it's not bad quality but it's overpriced for what it is imo? Check out Rocco/Lukullus/Rinti on zooplus. I used to get Rocco Junior for Lucy - cheaper again on zooplus.de. That's 800g cans I linked to btw - you can get 400g too

I have tried Rocco and Lukullus and the dachshunds weren't mad on either.
    I want to try the other products from Natures Menu because they seem to be really enjoying it and it looks good to me. I just can't seem to find anywhere that delivers the whole range to Ireland.

Mine love lukkullus too!
    On zooplus some foods do a taster pack, with a selection you can try.

Mine love lukkullus too!
    On zooplus some foods do a taster pack, with a selection you can try.

I feed Rocco/Lukullus every now and again and somebody always asks what the lovely smell is lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

My foster baby joey went to his forever home today! Going to miss him but poor bruce wont. He's too old to have a puppy around full time and was getting very stressed. Nala got on great with him though and was great to see her playing so well with such a small dog.

nala2012 wrote: »
    My foster baby joey went to his forever home today! Going to miss him but poor bruce wont. He's too old to have a puppy around full time and was getting very stressed. Nala got on great with him though and was great to see her playing so well with such a small dog.

I've seen him once or twice on Facebook, I believe - very handsome!

Had a full blown crying episode today - boiled two eggs to perfectly dippy states, and Opie stole them from the saucepan when I wasn't looking. He licked every tear off my face and all I could think was "Is that just to wash the bloody egg yolk down, Opie? IS IT???"
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

ShaShaBear wrote: »

Had a full blown crying episode today - boiled two eggs to perfectly dippy states, and Opie stole them from the saucepan when I wasn't looking. He licked every tear off my face and all I could think was "Is that just to wash the bloody egg yolk down, Opie? IS IT???"
    :rolleyes:

Aw, poor old Opie, that you think so bad of him ;)

Walked the dogs on the beach this morning, there is snow on top of the local hills and mountains, after shorts weather last week :eek: Had the usual Sunday morning off lead dogs, and their "ah he's fine" owners.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Aw, poor old Opie, that you think so bad of him ;)

Walked the dogs on the beach this morning, there is snow on top of the local hills and mountains, after shorts weather last week :eek: Had the usual Sunday morning off lead dogs, and their "ah he's fine" owners.[/QUOTE]

I was out for a walk one evening and a dog jumped up with her paws all over me, now I didn't mind because I like dogs. What I did mind was when she said 'you should be honoured, she doesn't usually do that to people':confused: She was lucky to have it happen to someone who likes dogs.

Other tools (both dogs and owners) is the reason I go to the park at 7:00am. By 6:00pm it's been a long day and I just don't have the patience for idiots anymore. Don't want to neuter your dog - thats great I support your decision but let it pester my dog trying to hump her to the point of her snapping while you stand laughing getting a kick out of it and driving her two big brothers mad thinking they need to step and disciple the dog - NO. Sh1te on about breeding said dog NO Continuously pull/hit a stick out of your new dogs mouth shooting at it NO Don't spot that your new dog is extremely stressed out while thinking you're an export NO Let your dog attack every other dog in the park NO I could go on and on and ON

It was lashing rain here this morning so we had the whole (nicer one not the one next to us) park to ourselves - just Bailey, Lucy and Reb! We were walking down towards the lake and saw one of the swans - Lucy is STILL oblivious to the fact that swans are dangerous! It was coming at her wings out ready to peck her bum off and she didn't even realise :rolleyes: Then we saw a sign that read "Swans taken away for annual touch ups" which got us wondering what they had done lol!! :p Both of them were there though... One was sitting on what we're guess is their nest!! We've never seen any cygnets there all the years we've been walking there which is a bit sad thinking something may be killing them every year? :(

• Advertisement

We ran out of Bozita so our 4 are on Felix pouches. Dear God, Poppy left an unholy deposit in the litter tray earlier this evening. Even after I'd cleaned the litter box out and put the stuff in the bin I'd to leave the door open for ages to clear the stench:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Papa went to clean and flush Princess Foxy's litter tray, but the first bundle wouldn't flush, so he left it floating in the bowl and a small pile in the corner of tray while he went upstairs to change ready for round two of 'Operation Clean Up'. Almost immediately he heard her back in the tray rearranging the outstanding deposits back how she liked them in the litter tray.

Meanwhile she is living up to her royal attitude... She only likes freshly cooked chicken, cooked steak, canned tuna, freshly cooked fish and cat biscuits. Ham is a no. Normal cat food is for peasants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Went to play with some rescue kittys yesterday :) One in particular was such a dote, sat in my husbands lap and purr'd away! Would love to bring her home but not sure of the logistics with our indoor free range bunny, anyone got any experience of cats and rabbits living together?

Went to play with some rescue kittys yesterday :) One in particular was such a dote, sat in my husbands lap and purr'd away! Would love to bring her home but not sure of the logistics with our indoor free range bunny, anyone got any experience of cats and rabbits living together?

I had a cat and a rabbit. Well, in fairness - we had the rabbit first, and the kitten was 6 weeks old when we got her (this was about 15 years ago). They were inseparable. Tigger would sleep in Benji's (the rabbit) hutch when inside, and outside they used to play together constantly. Separation did have to take place on one or two occasions where Benji would take to wooing the cat in a rather "forceful" manner :pac:
    He was extremely protective of her and would chase other cats out of the garden while barking!

When we got the kitten, we moved her bedding into the hutch so Benji would get used to the smell, and when he was outside playing, we would let Tigger explore the hutch and get the smell of him. Intro was slow, but very successful after that. Mind you, he was way more likely to hurt her than the other way around given how small she was, so I have no idea how that would work with an adult cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Thanks ShaShaBear!

Yes it could be a little trickier with an adult cat. I wouldn't want to leave them together without sueprvision either, so it would mean the cat not having access to the living room when we are out.

Obviously we wouldn't rush into anything, its just something we are mulling over at the minute.

I'm freaking our cats out with all my coughing, maybe they think I've got a furball. They keep climbing up on me in bed when I'm coughing, to see what the noise is, I think. I'm going to see my GP later, am wearing myself out with all the coughing.

Had a serious run-in with a local pet shop where I tried to redeem a voucher for my free bag of Royal Canin (got a voucher for chipping the dog). We have Opie on JWB so it was of no addition to us, but I was going to give it to the rescue I volunteer with as it would be of better quality than most. Voucher entitled me to a 4kg bag - nothing to turn a nose up at!

Bloody man said they simply "don't do that any more" and made a mockery of me and sent me packing. Currently in negotiations with Royal Canin as to why they would let me select that specific stockist if they are refusing to accept the vouchers :mad:

Funny feeling I'll get nowhere with this!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Elly & Tara were out playing in the garden and I had the door open enjoying the sunshine. Anyway I realised I hadn't seen or heard them in a while so I went out and called them. No sign anywhere of them, checked their usual hiding places - nothing.

So I went to get my runners on, leads and biscuits and got ready to go find them. If they manage to escape, they head next door to their dogs.

Headed to the fence and heard rustling. Looked around couldn't see anything. Next thing I see the plastic over the firewood moving - the two fools managed to get under it, but couldn't get out. Thank goodness I found them when I did!!!

They are both now passed out asleep from all the exertion:D

Our cats never fail to surprise me. Felix has been with us for 7 years and Jazzy for about 6, in all that time we've never once seen them snuggle up together. I was up early on Sunday morning and Felix came in soaked from the rain. He jumped up on the sofa behind Jazzy, who was petrified and trying not to move a muscle, then went asleep with his rear against Jazzy's back.:eek: He never even gets up on that sofa. Of course I'd left my phone upstairs so didn't get a photo.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Oliver has been escaping again, 5 times today, starting at 7am, so just spent 2.5 hrs cutting a gap in the ditch, hauling stones up it and filling the hole by the fence, while trapping the wire fence with stones from the other side.
    He likes to visit the dog next door, or just run around the neighbours larger garden.
    I can't figure out how he could squeeze out through the tiny gap but Tiffi (half his size) couldn't?

Also caught him legging it out the door with a block of Parmesan he stole off the kitchen table.

And he nicked and opened and ate a can of sardines in spicy tomato sauce last night.
    I hope he got all the naughty out, he's good as gold for a while, then it's like a switch trips and he's a bad boy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement